Pocketknives on the ship

LeesaB

DH feels naked without his multitool, which of course includes a small knife (less than 3" long). NCL's website states that knives over 4" are not allowed, but how consistent are they with this? And should he make sure to put it in checked baggage or anything? What about at ports?

I take one in my checked baggage to have in the cabin. I could carry it around on the ship then if I wished. However, boarding at a port it would have to be placed through the scanner. But, if under 4 inch blade, rules say ok. Personally, to avoid any question and interpretation by different security persons scanning, I'd leave it on the ship at ports.

DH feels naked without his multitool, which of course includes a small knife (less than 3" long). NCL's website states that knives over 4" are not allowed, but how consistent are they with this? And should he make sure to put it in checked baggage or anything? What about at ports?

He knows he cant put that in his carry-on for a plane right?

And to hand carry it when first entering the initial port of departure, that security is provided by that port authority, not NCL. The port authority might have more strict rules about knives in the port terminal building.

He knows he cant put that in his carry-on for a plane right?

Sure, but we're not flying, we're driving to NOLA. We know how airport security works, but it's been so long since we've cruised we had no idea if they were subject to the same restrictions.

Does he walk around fixing things all the time? I can't imagine having to have a pocket knife in my bathing suit...but carry on...

LOL! He's not much of a swimmer unless it's in the ocean so I'm sure he won't be wearing swimwear much on the ship itself (he's more of a sip a drink and wander around person). I make fun of him all the time for the amount of stuff that he considers necessary to don every day (multitool, flashlight, handkerchief, wallet, lip balm, pen, etc) it's funny to watch him take all his stuff out of his pockets at the end of the day. But he says he uses them multiple times a day, no matter what he's doing...

It's just one of his quirks. But it does make him handy to be around if I have a tag that needs cut off, or dropped something into a dark corner, or...

Just my own experience: Had a multi tool in small first aid/emergency kit with my dive gear and even though the blade is less than 3 inches they confiscated it from my checked bag and gave it back upon disembarking at the end of the cruise. I no longer bring the "knife".

This is a small Coleman multi-tool, similar to those SAK (including TSA compliant ones, without the knife blade for travel) - the small knife is about 1.5" long when unfolded for use, small but sharpened and good for most field tasks. I keep those with the digital gadgets pouch, along with assorted wires, ties, extension cables, clips, etc. as carry-on and have yet to run into any issues at security checkpoints.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqom60wfgbn479/IMG_20140207_Multi-Tool.jpg?dl=0

I have had the hi-output adjustable LED flashlight checked for its "defensive" bezel at oversea airports & to make sure it wasn't something else.

About the only time that I left both of these at home was when I reported for & served on a 4 week criminal trial last summer, since the courts had very strict restrictions about what to/not bring ... no matter what. Free WiFi, computer terminal access & we had use of our tablets, iPads, iPhones & smartphone until we started our jury deliberation.

Edited by mking8288

LOL! He's not much of a swimmer unless it's in the ocean so I'm sure he won't be wearing swimwear much on the ship itself (he's more of a sip a drink and wander around person). I make fun of him all the time for the amount of stuff that he considers necessary to don every day (multitool, flashlight, handkerchief, wallet, lip balm, pen, etc) it's funny to watch him take all his stuff out of his pockets at the end of the day. But he says he uses them multiple times a day, no matter what he's doing...

It's just one of his quirks. But it does make him handy to be around if I have a tag that needs cut off, or dropped something into a dark corner, or...

This made me laugh today! :D

I took my parents on a cruise last year, and my 75 year old Father never got his luggage.

Shortly after we inquired about it, ship security delivered a note to their cabin, inviting them down to the "naughty room"!!!

We all went down to the security office and they asked my Dad to identify his bag.

He did....they opened it....and there it was.....

Unbeknownst to the rest of us, my dad had packed a full blown TOOL KIT!! :eek:

Why?

No one knows.....but I suppose it is His natural inclination to be prepared for anything at all times! HAHA!

We all still laugh about it til this day.....and now we know He is not alone out there!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!! :')

This is a small Coleman multi-tool, similar to those SAK (including TSA compliant ones, without the knife blade for travel) - the small knife is about 1.5" long when unfolded for use, small but sharpened and good for most field tasks. I keep those with the digital gadgets pouch, along with assorted wires, ties, extension cables, clips, etc. as carry-on and have yet to run into any issues at security checkpoints.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqom60wfgbn479/IMG_20140207_Multi-Tool.jpg?dl=0

I have had the hi-output adjustable LED flashlight checked for its "defensive" bezel at oversea airports & to make sure it wasn't something else.

About the only time that I left both of these at home was when I reported for & served on a 4 week criminal trial last summer, since the courts had very strict restrictions about what to/not bring ... no matter what. Free WiFi, computer terminal access & we had use of our tablets, iPads, iPhones & smartphone until we started our jury deliberation.

Glad to know he's not the only one. Thanks!

This made me laugh today! :D

I took my parents on a cruise last year, and my 75 year old Father never got his luggage.

Shortly after we inquired about it, ship security delivered a note to their cabin, inviting them down to the "naughty room"!!!

We all went down to the security office and they asked my Dad to identify his bag.

He did....they opened it....and there it was.....

Unbeknownst to the rest of us, my dad had packed a full blown TOOL KIT!! :eek:

Why?

No one knows.....but I suppose it is His natural inclination to be prepared for anything at all times! HAHA!

We all still laugh about it til this day.....and now we know He is not alone out there!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!! :')

LOL I guess he wanted to be prepared to fix his toilet if it started leaking or something!

Oh my goodness NEW 2 CRUISIN, you made me LOL!! When I was newly married and my dear dad would come to visit, he had a full tool kit in the trunk of his car -- he would walk around my home with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers sticking out of his back pocket. When I asked why, he said, "Just looking for something to tighten..." Just being helpful! How wonderful for the rest of us!

Two flashlights, pen, pocketknife, multi-tool, length of 20lb test line, tourniquet, USB drive, handcuff key, pistol, spare mag, keychain reading glasses, and wallet for every day carry. Pocket stuff can add up.

For cruises typically not the knife, gun, or multi-tool. But I may add the multi-tool back after reading this policy.

You don't want to know what rides in the truck.

Two flashlights, pen, pocketknife, multi-tool, length of 20lb test line, tourniquet, USB drive, handcuff key, pistol, spare mag, keychain reading glasses, and wallet for every day carry. Pocket stuff can add up.

For cruises typically not the knife, gun, or multi-tool. But I may add the multi-tool back after reading this policy.

You don't want to know what rides in the truck.

You and DH may be spirit cousins. ;)

... for every day carry. Pocket stuff can add up ... want to know what rides in the truck.
Bingo ... LOL. Some of us pack more than 1 EDC kits, never too far away from one, 2 smartphones (3 and/or a tablet/ipad on trips/vacation)

Back of my transport is a temporary field command post if ever needed - simple 110V inverter plus portable power pack ... reminded me, quarterly emergency activation drills this week, respond 24/7/36 as ICS-NICS called for as reserve volunteers. Just don't need to worry about securing certain items as you might ...

Hah! My husband is your husband's brother in spirit. In addition to most of the above he also carries hand sanitizer, non-latex gloves, and other EMT stuff! Going through airport security takes extra time due to all the loading/unloading of pockets. Oh, and a ton of coins, for some reason.