Question? Has anyone ever Rented a Car in Santiago and drove to Mendoza, Argentina

Ruth

We will be staying in Santiago after a cruise. We were going to stay in Santiago a couple of days then go to the Airport to Rent a car to drive to Mendoza, Argentina for a couple of day and then drive back to the Santiago airport to fly home. Has anyone done this and if so which Rental Car Company was it. As I am aware not all Rental Car Company allow this.

I am sure this has been done. Ask on the Trip Advisor forums for Chile and Argentina. I have rented a car in Chile and driven to Argentina and back but this was in the Lake District. You need to prearrange the paperwork to do this and it is over $100 dollars. However if I were there with the time in summer and was used to mountain passes with hairpin turns then I would do it.

Have you looked into flying from Santiago to Mendoza? Were going to Mendoza next week, prior to our cruise. We're flying to Santiago and then onto Mendoza for a few days. We'll then fly Mendoza to Buenos Aires to board our ship. The price of the flight wasn't very expensive.

Edited by 2ndsailing
correction

Have you looked into flying from Santiago to Mendoza? Were going to Mendoza next week, prior to our cruise. We're flying to Santiago and then onto Mendoza for a few days. We'll then fly Mendoza to Buenos Aires to board our ship. The price of the flight wasn't very expensive.

Hello 2ndsailing

Wish my husband and I were with you. This is on our bucket list -just trying to plan it well. Maybe I need to look into the flight. However I have read the drive is wonderful.

I've rented a car from the Europcar place opposite the port in Valparaiso. I was staying in Chile, but while I was there, friends from the cruise were picking up a car to take into Argentina. There's quite a bit of extra paperwork (need special insurance etc.) but it all seemed to be working. I was done and left before them. I've also rented cars from Avis at SCL with no problem, but not taken them out of Chile.

There's a cafe on the road to Portillo/Mendoza, just before the big tunnel, has Llamas out front, that has the best sandwich I've ever eaten: "Lomo Italien" -- lamb with tomato and avocado. Recommended,

I've rented a car from the Europcar place opposite the port in Valparaiso. I was staying in Chile, but while I was there, friends from the cruise were picking up a car to take into Argentina. There's quite a bit of extra paperwork (need special insurance etc.) but it all seemed to be working. I was done and left before them. I've also rented cars from Avis at SCL with no problem, but not taken them out of Chile.

There's a cafe on the road to Portillo/Mendoza, just before the big tunnel, has Llamas out front, that has the best sandwich I've ever eaten: "Lomo Italien" -- lamb with tomato and avocado. Recommended,

Thanks for the cafe suggestion. I really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello 2ndsailing

Wish my husband and I were with you. This is on our bucket list -just trying to plan it well. Maybe I need to look into the flight. However I have read the drive is wonderful.

Hello from Mendoza

I asked a few people here about driving from Santiago to Mendoza...Said it's a beautiful drive but....And they said this is the only negative part is that the boarder crossing can take hours.

No one could answer the rental question you had.

Flying was easy. We flew Toronto to Santiago and then to Mendoza. Our luggage was checked in Toronto through to Mendoza. Couldn't have been easier.

We are at a wonderful Lodge called Cavas Wine Lodge. Cavas is a fantastic place to stay. They picked us up at the airport and in our package included a number of wine tastings. I highly recommend them.

Hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

We looked at doing this after our cruise which arrives Valparaiso. We are doing the Atacama then Easter Island before Mendoza. I had planned to pick up a car at the airport when we get back from Easter Island and drive there the next day. However when I discovered that 5 days car hire (4WD) would be about £500 and that the cross border fee is $125 and it must be arranged at least 7 days in advance, then found return flights for £135 pp, the choice became a no-brainer! Added to this all the activities we wanted (wine tasting, trip out into the Andes, asado class) all include transport anyway.