Med cruise and Barcelona hotel

JoRoy218

WE stayed at the Avenida Palace and loved it. We had our four children and they gave us a family suite. A great buffet breakfast was included. It was very conveniently located. Barcelona is indeed an easy city to get around and races are plentiful. Getting the the cruise terminal is very easy

We enjoyed the Jazz twice. Hotel Colon has a charming location in the Gothic section, and we would have been very happy there, too. Jazz is modern. Colon is older and traditional. Our friends stayed st the Ritz and hated it. Jazz is quiet since it is offset from Ramblas. There are two coffee pastry shops next to Jazz, as well as a metro stop right out the door.

Our friends stayed at Avenids Palace and really liked it a lot. It is not in the Ramblas section though, but it is very classy. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We enjoyed the Jazz twice. Hotel Colon has a charming location in the Gothic section, and we would have been very happy there, too. Jazz is modern. Colon is older and traditional. Our friends stayed st the Ritz and hated it. Jazz is quiet since it is offset from Ramblas. There are two coffee pastry shops next to Jazz, as well as a metro stop right out the door.

Our friends stayed at Avenids Palace and really liked it a lot. It is not in the Ramblas section though, but it is very classy. .

Additionally Jazz has a breakfast buffet, roof-top bar & snacks along with pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Additionally Jazz has a breakfast buffet, roof-top bar & snacks along with pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The buffet is a separate charge - right ? We enjoyed the Pastry shop next door so did not investigate the Buffet.

We will be staying at The Arts Hotel next week. It is a bit more expensive than what we usually book pre-cruise but it is for our 50th anniversary. How is The Arts?

Excellent choice for a celebration... ask for a room on the Mediterranean, (great view)... be sure to mention your anniversary

The buffet is a separate charge - right ? We enjoyed the Pastry shop next door so did not investigate the Buffet.

Buffet was very lackluster and it was approx $15 pp.

we didn't eat there, but a few in our group did, and they didn't go back, preferring the wonderful little bistros in the surrounding area instead, for half the price.

At the time it was a special offer that was included with our reservation. DH enjoyed- I'm not a breakfast eater so I only "picked"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be staying in the Gothic quarter this Oct pre-Royal TA. Where did the airport bus drop you off? Also, did you take a taxi to the ship? Thnx.

We were in Barcelona pre-cruise over Memorial Day weekend last year and this was the Aerobus info:

Aerobus: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/ – A1 outside arrivals – 5.90 Euro p/p – ends at Plaza de Catalunya

We stayed at the Hotel Continental on Los Ramblas just a few doors down from Plaza de Catalunya. To get to our ship we rolled our luggage down Las Ramblas, crossed the road to the right of the Columbus statue, and continued about a half-block to the waterfront street, where we picked up the terminal bus.

Last October we stayed at Hotel Lleo. We got the included breakfast, which was fine. Their coffee was great. You just make a right out the door a few blocks and then a left. Into the Gothic part. Many things to see and plenty of tapas cafes. Loved Barcelona.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

About 3 years back, we took NCL cruise from Barcelona. Hotel was a goofy-named "Internacional Cool Local Hotel" on La Rambla. Was pretty damn cheap, but had small-ish rooms. Breakfast spot was nearby that served American-style breakfast (leave it to my "adventurous" girlfriend not to try local food). We took a subway to Drassanes on green line, and hopped on a port bus. It was like 2 euros per person.

Barcelona is surprisingly easy to get around. Cab out of airport to hotel was approximately 45 euros.

We were in Barcelona pre-cruise over Memorial Day weekend last year and this was the Aerobus info:

Aerobus: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/ – A1 outside arrivals – 5.90 Euro p/p – ends at Plaza de Catalunya

We stayed at the Hotel Continental on Los Ramblas just a few doors down from Plaza de Catalunya. To get to our ship we rolled our luggage down Las Ramblas, crossed the road to the right of the Columbus statue, and continued about a half-block to the waterfront street, where we picked up the terminal bus.

Thanks for the info re the aerobus. Unfortunately, doesn't look like a good option for us since we're in the Gothic Quarter and too old to roll our luggage very far. Guess, we'll opt for a taxi or hired car for airport-hotel and hotel-port.

The first time we stopped in Barcelona (2003), we were up to walking into town from the ship to Las Ramblas and Plaza de Catalunya and back (course that did not involve luggage). Not any more.:( But at least we did it once and thoroughly enjoyed it!

We stayed at Hilton Barcelona (Avenida Diagonal 589-591) last July. Price was good (Jul. 1, 150 euros all-in), room was nice, best hotel breakfast I think I've had yet (was not free, so look for a B&B rate). Easy walk to metro for getting around town. Taxis waiting outside the next AM to whisk you to pier. Cab ride was something like ~12 euros. Suggestion that if your Spanish is weak bring a written address for pier, and carry a biz card for the hotel in case you need to navigate back.

Also hotel would charge euros back to my room (read: credit card), first 50 no fee, >50 euros had a 5% surcharge, probably best rate I found anywhere for currency and double dip on both Hilton points and my AmEx points.

I'd stay there again in a flash!

The bus also stops at Playa Espanya. Near the Magic Fountain. Perhaps closer for you. Then take a cab. Though saving a few dollars is not always worth it. We took taxis several times in Barcelona and found them reasonable.

We did the metro late afternoon there and it was clean and comfortable (more so than NYC subway fwiw). However you may need a chip and pin credit card to buy a metro card at the automated kiosks. YMMV and something to look up on a recent source before you go.

The bus also stops at Playa Espanya. Near the Magic Fountain. Perhaps closer for you. Then take a cab. Though saving a few dollars is not always worth it. We took taxis several times in Barcelona and found them reasonable.

Thanks for the info!

We have stayed at the Hotel Colon in the old part of town near Las Ramblas. Great hotel in a great location. Good price, breakfast included. Recently refurbished. We took the on off bus everywhere.

We were in Barcelona pre-cruise last month. We stayed at the NH Barcelona Centro. It's about a block off Las Ramblas. We really enjoyed the location and the room (booked a Jr. Suite which was very large compared to other rooms and not much more than a standard). It was like a little oasis in between huge tourist areas. We really enjoyed it. The only thing I would caution is that taxi's can't always drive on the street in front during the day so they'll drop you off just short of the hotel about a block or two depending on which direction you are coming from. Morning and evening they can drive on the road. It is a European chain but still a quaint boutique style hotel. I would have booked a few other places first that have better reviews but they were sold out when I went to finally book.

That said, after spending 3 days in Barcelona and seeing pretty much every area in detail, I don't think there is a bad location. i'd go for value over location as each location is great. There is wonderful and easy transportation including taxi's, walking (everything is really close), buses, and metro.

Oh..and I wouldn't book through Princess, personally. Easy to book on your own either direct through the hotel or a pre-paid service like hotels dot com or other sites. I have found booking direct with the hotel often gets you a better room and other perks vs. using the other sites. Also, if they have a reward program, make sure to sign up for that even if you only plan on staying with them that one time.