The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

Thank you so much for your marvelous review. I could not believe my luck finding this thread; we just booked this cruise yesterday for April 2019. Your review answered a few of my questions and I found a lot of information that will help with planning. :D:D:D

Friday, April 28

I am up early and step out on the balcony. Something is different today. Land ho. I see land....

I am little late to the party but thanks for doing the travelogue. We are cruising to Hawaii in September and I am enjoying this review very much.

I am little late to the party but thanks for doing the travelogue. We are cruising to Hawaii in September and I am enjoying this review very much.

Better late than never. It looks like a great itinerary on the Radiance. I think I would rather spend an overnight on Maui, instead of two ports on the Big Island. You do get to spend some time on the sunny side in Kona though. Plus, you will probably have some time in Honolulu post-cruise.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. We just got back from our third trip to the Bay Area since April, and I thought Captain Diego was piloting our plane for our flight home again. That is the first time we ever had turbulence so bad that everything on the trays flew in the air and ended up on the floor of the plane.

Here are a couple more pictures of things in the Bay Area. I talked earlier about our trip to Muir Woods, and on this trip, we spent a day at Muir Beach. The water is definitely chilly in the Pacific here. Wish I would have brought my wetsuit.

7bd21171a4626346f2173216f6244867.jpg

f1fed3f94d63844f98e7a0e44b13fd5a.jpg

There are no shopping guides for here. Maybe they think there is no need, since we are here for such a short time, and all anyone is interested in buying is cheap drugs. Anyway, they do have a port guide.

4ae26c44a6adde689ca827c1e9269f98.jpg

8f2725114c68a36943d281617c7a0ef9.jpg

So what cheap drugs did they have and what did you pay for them? :D

We didn't have a drink package for this cruise, but we had one included as a perk on our January Celebrity cruise. That package was about $20 a day more expensive than Princess.

1ad78cce8daf97f430dc26b3e73a6275.jpg

e4b0995f937847b57109c874a8fd1653.jpg

a68389953a6f0e119c406161f54b36b4.jpg

fc861b63d7366fa5cad7a444d1edd243.jpg

We were on a Celebrity cruise last month. Our Ocean View cabin came with the Drink Package. But a lot of the drinks we wanted were more than the $9 maximum so, we had to pay the extra costs. Princesses drink package is so much better.

So what cheap drugs did they have and what did you pay for them? :D

We didn't buy any drugs, (legal or illegal) so I can't tell you any of the prices. These are a couple of links that were posted by one of our roll call members about buying drugs in Mexico.

http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/chapts/health/buymed/cheapmed1.html

Or WebMDs information.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/buying-drugs-across-border

There is a little bit of discussion on our roll call board on the page linked below for a couple of drugs, and these included some expected prices.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52459092

We just were not in the market for them.

We were on a Celebrity cruise last month. Our Ocean View cabin came with the Drink Package. But a lot of the drinks we wanted were more than the $9 maximum so, we had to pay the extra costs. Princesses drink package is so much better.

On our Celebrity cruise, we had the go best package included, so all drinks were included. We had a tendency to sample too many different drinks with the package. Although it was a short cruise, DW complained because she put on 4 pounds that she attributed to the drink package. Compare that to the Hawaii cruise where she actually lost a pound, because we didn't have a drink package. Go figure.

Buying individual drinks worked well for us this cruise, especially when we took advantage of the happy hour specials each day. Hope no one tells Princess their drinks are less than the other lines, or they may raise their prices.

• 3 weeks later...
So, maybe time for a couple more posts about the balcony cabin this afternoon. Aside from being almost a clone of our cabin on the Coral, the closet space, and the bath on the Grand was even smaller.

We probably overpacked a little, but we were going to be gone for two weeks and we planned to do laundry for our workout clothes a couple times during the trip. In addition to our workout clothes and smart casual clothes, we also had a tux, tux shirts, three formal gowns, and 10 pair of shoes packed in our two bags. I know, 10 pair of shoes!!! But two pair were flip flops, so maybe they really are not shoes. Then there were a pair for my tux, a pair for smart casual, and a pair of running shoes. DW had to have a pair for each of her gowns, running shoes and a pair for smart casual. The closet floor space was not large enough for 10 pair without stacking them.

e190432dc2646e91f6c91cf3613f67eb.jpg

There were about 20 hangers in the closet, so we had enough, but only because we packed all our formal clothes with their hangers. Still, all of our clothes fit there and on the shelves. We did see some couples that had four large suitcases, so unless they had suites with large closets, I don't know where they would find room for that much.

b2ba75077b37854ddb48bf08a2ccccb1.jpg

The room safe was large enough for a iPad, but it would not be large enough for a laptop. The bath sink area had three shelves that would hold everything we needed, and it appeared if you brought a night light, the wall plug would work without the light switch being on. I had a battery operated magnetic light that I brought and attached to the door this time.

101c2605043ca451b4f36d491e94ca48.jpg

The shower with the patented clingy curtain was typically cramped.

0a6eb8edc226804d0ad19d6bc2e1176b.jpg

Recently got back from the Crown in Europe and Scandinavia. Love seeing the ship. I hate those shower curtains and wish they would put in a door. Also, when will Princess get hand -held attachments!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Although I will be sailing the Emerald Princess to Hawaii next year round trip from Vancouver, you are providing much valued info. Thanks!!!

I am glad you found something useful. I think the cruise from Vancouver will be very similar, and the Emerald is a little newer than the Grand.

I would like to sail from Vancouver at some point, maybe for an Alaska cruise if I can convince DW to do that route. Vancouver looks like a great city.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mark

Since we are making this cruise for Christmas this year I enjoyed reading your review. Even though we've been to Hawaii many times this is the first time cruising there.

We have made contact with Stan and look forward to meeting them.

Thanks for taking your time to do the review

• 2 weeks later...
Mark

Since we are making this cruise for Christmas this year I enjoyed reading your review. Even though we've been to Hawaii many times this is the first time cruising there.

We have made contact with Stan and look forward to meeting them.

Thanks for taking your time to do the review

A Christmas cruise to the islands sounds fantastic. Will you have any problems with shortened venues for Christmas Eve in Honolulu, or Christmas Day in Nawiliwili?

I am glad you found something useful. I think the cruise from Vancouver will be very similar, and the Emerald is a little newer than the Grand.

I would like to sail from Vancouver at some point, maybe for an Alaska cruise if I can convince DW to do that route. Vancouver looks like a great city.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! Just finished reading this review and took loads of notes. Will be our first time to Hawaii, our longest cruise (Alaska 7 day being our longest) and my second on Princess. I'm sure the Patters will be similar. Do you recall if there was a special seafood Crabpot style menu? What were the prices like for bevvies in Hawaii.? DO you know if there were any swim with Dolphin excursions and if so, which island? Thank you again and do convince DW to cruise Alaska, you won't be dissapointed !

So, maybe time for a couple more posts about the balcony cabin this afternoon. Aside from being almost a clone of our cabin on the Coral, the closet space, and the bath on the Grand was even smaller.

We probably overpacked a little, but we were going to be gone for two weeks and we planned to do laundry for our workout clothes a couple times during the trip. In addition to our workout clothes and smart casual clothes, we also had a tux, tux shirts, three formal gowns, and 10 pair of shoes packed in our two bags. I know, 10 pair of shoes!!! But two pair were flip flops, so maybe they really are not shoes. Then there were a pair for my tux, a pair for smart casual, and a pair of running shoes. DW had to have a pair for each of her gowns, running shoes and a pair for smart casual. The closet floor space was not large enough for 10 pair without stacking them.

e190432dc2646e91f6c91cf3613f67eb.jpg

There were about 20 hangers in the closet, so we had enough, but only because we packed all our formal clothes with their hangers. Still, all of our clothes fit there and on the shelves. We did see some couples that had four large suitcases, so unless they had suites with large closets, I don't know where they would find room for that much.

b2ba75077b37854ddb48bf08a2ccccb1.jpg

The room safe was large enough for a iPad, but it would not be large enough for a laptop. The bath sink area had three shelves that would hold everything we needed, and it appeared if you brought a night light, the wall plug would work without the light switch being on. I had a battery operated magnetic light that I brought and attached to the door this time.

101c2605043ca451b4f36d491e94ca48.jpg

The shower with the patented clingy curtain was typically cramped.

0a6eb8edc226804d0ad19d6bc2e1176b.jpg

Recently got back from the Crown in Europe and Scandinavia. Love seeing the ship. I hate those shower curtains and wish they would put in a door. Also, when will Princess get hand -held attachments!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! Just finished reading this review and took loads of notes. Will be our first time to Hawaii, our longest cruise (Alaska 7 day being our longest) and my second on Princess. I'm sure the Patters will be similar. Do you recall if there was a special seafood Crabpot style menu? What were the prices like for bevvies in Hawaii.? DO you know if there were any swim with Dolphin excursions and if so, which island? Thank you again and do convince DW to cruise Alaska, you won't be dissapointed !

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for reading. The Patters will probably be similar, but sometimes Princess alters the order of the port stops.

Beverages were comparable to any large city stateside. We only had Mai Tais at Dukes, and these were $12. Other tropical drinks were in the $10-$12 range, virgin drinks around $7, and beers $7-$14. Here are some prices from the Duke’s Drink Menu.

27417bf0ac1bcf28b7f97ff8478a8e37.jpg

24c7ce027b16dc6382820ef24e793dba.jpg

As far as the dolphin swim, it depends what type of encounter you are looking for. Typically, there are lagoon swims where you get up personal with the dolphins, and there are open ocean swims where they take you to areas near spinner dolphin pods and you snorkel or swim with them there. We had just done a dolphin lagoon encounter in Nassau on our January cruise, so we were not looking for that type in Hawaii.

I believe Princess offered an open ocean swim as an excursion for the stop in Hilo. You would need to check your shore excursions list to see if it is available for your cruise if the open ocean one is the type you want. Just be aware, there is a move underway to ban the open ocean dolphin swims. This is an article about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us/federal-officials-seek-ban-on-swimming-with-spinner-dolphins-in-hawaii.html?_r=0

And here is a CBS video about the move that ran yesterday (August 6, 2017)

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/noaa-looks-to-ban-swimming-with-dolphins-in-hawaii/

We had looked into this private tour, ocean swim one that our niece had done in Oahu, but it would have taken too much of our day, and there were other things we wanted to do.

28538128530_7aaed66625_c.jpg

You can do a lagoon type swim independently on Oahu. There is one at the Kahala Beach Resort, which is just past Waialae Beach on the opposite side of Diamond Head from Waikiki. You can check out what they have to offer here.

https://dolphinquest.com/kahala-hotel-resort/

Enjoy your planning and your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

It is hard to tear myself away from reading all of your posts. But I have to say, Mark, when I first saw this picture my immediate thought was my gosh "Mark looked just like Tom Selleck when he was younger!!!" Hubby and I are taking this cruise 12/18/17. Hubby said you did such a fantastic job posting all of this that you needed to write a book. I agree!

Honolulu is going to be another "Do your own thing day" for us. I think all of the top things they say you should do in Honolulu, I have been able to do on past land based vacations. Visit Pearl Harbor; attend a luau; snorkel Hanauma Bay; visit the Polynesian Cultural Center; circle island to the North Shore; visit the Punchbowl; learn to surf on Waikiki Beach; tour historic Honolulu; visit Sea Life Park; the zoo; climb Diamond Head; plus many things you can no longer do like visit the original International Market Place and the Pearl City Tavern to name a few.

My prior land based trips were all from the mid 70's when I was a young single guy, through the mid 80's, when by then I was an old married guy. Our last trip to Hawaii was in 1985. We looked just a little younger then, but then so did this guy.

4d61a377a6fa610b9a8ef1c4470c894f.jpg

This photo was taken in Honolulu when we were on the set of Magnum PI in early 1981.

The things we wanted to do today included climbing Diamond Head, spending time on Waikiki Beach, and going to the Spam Jam Festival. I had climbed Diamond Head before I was married, but DW never had, so that was what we planned.

By the time the day would end, we would have logged almost 17 miles on our fitness trackers.

When I last left off, we were just coming into port, and I had a couple of photos posted of our arrival. It looked overcast, and we would eventually get a brief shower later in the day.

After our 7:00 docking, it was about 7:30 when the ship received clearance for passengers to disembark.

Mark, thank you again for all of your posts. I have a question: Since you started out with assigned table in dining room for 5:30 seating and then switched to Anytime Dining later in the cruise, which did you prefer. I have done 14 cruises that were on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival but Princess is by far my favorite. With the exception of 2 Carnival cruises, I have always done anytime dining. However, for our cruise to Hawaii in December, I chose 5:30 seating. My cruising buddies have always been my best friend and my mom. My husband was convinced he would hate cruising. He finally agreed to take a cruise to Alaska a year ago. When we got home he told me to book the cruise to Hawaii. So I decided on regular seated dining so he could experience that. I have been having second thoughts though about switching to Anytime Dining. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.