What have been your best Cunard experiences ?

Host Hattie

All my trips have been great but 2 stand out -

- the first on QE2, the whole experience was amazing, a round trip from Southampton to Athens in her final season.

- the 3 Queens in Liverpool in May 2015, we were on QM2, what a wonderful day.

The first time I boarded Queen Victoria at Southampton.

My previous cruise had been on board P&O's Arcadia and I couldn't believe how elegant QV was in comparison. The bell boys welcoming you on board and passing the Queens Room for the first time.

The same voyage was when Kate and William were married, so the extra formal night to celebrate - right down to a "piece of wedding cake" on returning to the cabin.

On QM2, the premium champagne tasting on New Years Day 2012. 5 superb champagnes and so well matched by the chef with hot and cold canapés for each glass.

1. Cruise marking QE2's 40th year since launch at Clydebank - my first ever Cunard "event" cruise. Celebrations on the Tyne, Clyde and Mersey were significantly memorable

2. 175th anniversary crossing on QM2 - really felt part of something special, the Liverpool Cathederal event as an example

All other voyages wonderful of course but these two in particular are unforgettable.

M-AR

I think my favourite was on QM2 Singapore to Southampton in 2014. It was QM2s's 10th birthday and we had the three ships in Lisbon, followed by sailing out in convoy, then side by side up the Atlantic.

It culminated in the sisters playing Happy Birthday on their whistles as we slowly slid into our berth at Southampton. A magical experience.

The whole cruise was fantastic.

1. Cruise marking QE2's 40th year since launch at Clydebank - my first ever Cunard "event" cruise. Celebrations on the Tyne, Clyde and Mersey were significantly memorable

2. 175th anniversary crossing on QM2 - really felt part of something special, the Liverpool Cathederal event as an example

All other voyages wonderful of course but these two in particular are unforgettable.

M-AR

You have good taste, I was on also on these two cruise and agree that they were truly special. Sadly I was only on QM2 from Southampton to Liverpool, but the event in the Cathedral was wonderful.

The QM2 tenth birthday celebration was something special for my mother. We were on QV not QM2 but she loved being woken up by the Queens playing Happy Birthday as it was her birthday as well.

My first trans-Atlantic crossing on QM2 in 2014 is still my favorite trip, as it was my first ever cruise. That trip was planned so that I could check a trans-Atlantic crossing off my bucket list, but turned into an expensive addiction, now that I try to sail aboard QM2 at least once every six months!

Nice Cunard memories include bumping into our waiter from the year prior on Christmas, and him remembering all our names and getting to catch up with him. Also boarding right behind Captain Wells and his family in Brooklyn for the 2015 Christmas cruise. Departing Southampton on QM2's first "remastered" crossing was also special.

I'm hoping to make some new happy Cunard memories soon!

In the early days on QE2 sharing time with the likes of Sean Connery, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart. Actually approachable on QE2 in those days. But the highlight must have been the invite to the Pig & Whistle for a pint (or two) and darts. Sometimes they really were the "good old days".

In 2000 we won a charity auction for a 21 day European cruise aboard the Caronia. First experience with Cunard. The ship, food and service were top notch. Nothing has compared since but we keep cruising.

I think my favourite was on QM2 Singapore to Southampton in 2014. It was QM2s's 10th birthday and we had the three ships in Lisbon, followed by sailing out in convoy, then side by side up the Atlantic.

It culminated in the sisters playing Happy Birthday on their whistles as we slowly slid into our berth at Southampton. A magical experience.

The whole cruise was fantastic.

I agree with you. I was on QE and it was amazing. I still have the flag they gave us as we were all sailing away from Lisbon.

Tough to choose, but:

1) QE2 2000: First Cunard experience on a very empty charter trip to the Millennium Open Golf at St Andrews. Great opportunity to explore the ship in relative peace and quiet. Dined in the Princess Grill with the inimitable Andrew Nelder; one of many great Cunard characters.

2) QE2 2007: A wonderful Autumn Colours trip from Southampton, which included an afternoon arrival into New York which was truly special.

3) QE 2011: Round Britain on our first QE voyage which made us instant fans. One highpoint was a service in Liverpool Cathedral to mark the latest Elizabeth to come to Cunard's spiritual home. The Band of The Welsh Guards, Simon Weston and many links made to QE2 ensured there was hardly a dry eye in the house.

4) QE 2014: Three Queens meet in Lisbon and sail home. As Scrapnana has said - magical.

I could go on, but then I'm sure we all could.

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone, one repeating theme seems to be to be on one of the ships when they are all together.

Southampton for the Jubilee in 2012 would have made my list if the weather had been a bit kinder !

I suppose there's (at least) two different ways to look at this.

There are the 'occasion' memories. For me these would include Vistafjord's final voyage, Caronia and QE2 in New York together, QM2's maiden arrival into New York, QE2's 40th anniversary, Queen Victoria's Maiden voyage, QM2's 10th anniversary amoungst many others.

There's also the small 'moment' memories. Walking into the restaurant on the first day and the maitre 'd, a man we'd never met before, knowing exactly who we are.

Going into a lounge on the first night, after a three year absence, and the steward just appears with 'our usual'.

Getting to the front of the line at the welcome party and the hostess doesn't need to ask our names, and the captain doesn't need to wait for us to be introduced.

Bypassing the line and going in the back door to the welcome party. Sitting with another couple who had done the same, he had just finished telling us that he was sure if the captain really wanted to shake his hand he would come and find him when I saw his jaw drop. I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders and a voice behind me says, "So. You thought I wouldn't see you sneaking in. Trying to avoid me are you?" This has happened twice, with two different captains, so now we wait in line. It's less embarassing that way.

Having been at the Captain's Table on our first crossing (in the days when that was your table for the whole voyage) we turned up at the restaurant on the first night of our second crossing to be greeted at the door with, "Good evening. We have your usual table for you."

The trip where we had more than our fair share of birthdays, anniversaries and one couple on their honeymoon so almost every night we had a cake and the waiters singing at the table. We discovered that the waiter also had a birthday. On the appropriate night when he returned from the galley with the desserts he found the table decorated with balloons and streamers and a cake that had all been hidden under the table. We sat him down and all sang Happy Birthday to him. (Revenge is sweet.)

There's always the waiters that you remember, and who remember you. Twice we've had waiters become fathers during our cruise and seeing their joy, not just at the time, but when you ask about 'the baby' ten or fifteen years later.

We've watched a deck steward and a bus-boy both climb the ladder to maitre 'd. One of the cruise staff, and two dancers all rise to cruise director. Junior, and senior, officers promoted all the way to captain.

But an elderly friend has the best memory. A fire in the early hours of the morning had us all heading for our muster stations (on the open decks in those days). After several flights of stairs she had to sit down to catch her breath but she was picked up and carried the rest of the way by a six-foot tall, blond, Swedish barman, wearing nothing but his boxer shorts. The highlight of her cruising life!

Regards, Colin.

Oh! And the Cruise Critic get-together and Cabin Cavalcade on QE2 where, unknown to most of us, one of our number was the captain's wife.

We ended our trip round all the cabins in the captain's cabin for afternoon tea.

Well done Lanky Lad for organising that one.

1) DH and I boarding the Queen Mary 2 (in New York) for the very first time.

2) Watching DD's face as she boarded the QM2 (in Southampton) for her first ever cruise.

3) Every single voyage we've ever taken on the QM2

Is No. 3 a bit of a cheat? Can't honestly separate one wonderful experience from another and with a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth early next year I'm sure we will be adding to our experiences.

Oh! And the Cruise Critic get-together and Cabin Cavalcade on QE2 where, unknown to most of us, one of our number was the captain's wife.

We ended our trip round all the cabins in the captain's cabin for afternoon tea.

Well done Lanky Lad for organising that one.

Thanks, we stayed in the Dolphin that trip, if memory serves me right, you were there as well and we passed in the stairs. By some miracle we were upgraded to a suit so an extra special treat.

I don't think it was the same trip but I also remember a cavalcade on QE2 which ended up with a visit to the Captain's cabin, but no afternoon tea for us.

I can't choose just one, but can narrow it down to two.

The first would be our first time on the QE2 in 1973 - a w/b crossing. Late arrival on the crossing from NY meant we departed Southampton after midnight - a full half day late. We arrived in NY on time - a crossing well under five days.

The second would be an e/b crossing of QM2 in 2010 when we were upgraded to Queen's Grill. A further bonus: the National Symphony Orchestra was on board. The Last Night of the Proms concert was a fantastic experience.

1. The first time we had ever been on a ship - boarding the QM2 in NY for a QG transatlantic to Southampton.

2. QM2 for the Queens Jubilee short trip, despite the horrible weather.

3. Queen Elizabeth in 2014 Dubai to Southampton - great friends on board with us, met many others too. It was fantastic when all 3 Queens were docked together in Lisbon and the birthday whistle in Southampton from the QM2 upon our return.

Lots of other trips, but these were the most memorable.

I will always remember my first sail away on QM2 in 2009. We were doing our first ever trip on the seas, a transatlantic to New York. Really pleased I chose one of the best, I just knew I had done the right thing. Just felt so at home on her, have done many sailings since then with Cunard mostly. In fact have booked a back to back transatlantic for June 2018. :):)

Catherine

The best Cunard ( Carnival( Line ship trips have all been great as this fine line is always above most cruise lines and does not nickle and dime youall and all the time.

the Queen Mary 2 stands out as an Ocean Liner double hulled. We interviewd the Executive Chef a few times as well thje Kennel Master etc..

This fine line has some of the best food prepared on the seven seas. They even make canine cuisine aboard.

The first cruise a r/t and Kodak moments was great from/to NYC/NY. Only once it had to disemark in the old MOTBY in the City of Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey as Red Hook, Borough of Brooklyn, NYC, NY was already in tendering of another ship.

There has been something special about each of the times we have been on Cunard.

Our first crossing was April 2010, westbound on QM2. The whole trip was memorable, starting with U.K. Air space being closed when we were about a hour out from Heathrow, due to ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland (I am NOT going to try to spell it). We diverted to Brussels, so our planned weekend in London was spent trying get across the Channel. We made it.

The latest trip was a year ago November (overdue for another), again westbound on QM2. The sail away was on my birthday. The following night in the Princess Grill dining room, our waiter and the maitre d' brought a small birthday cake for our desert and made a general fuss - in a good way. Neither my wife nor I had said anything about it, so someone was paying attention to the passenger data.