Few pics from our recent St. Maarten visit

harryfat1

Yes, Friars.

Thank you for the very helpful photos!:) Looking forward to our visit, happy to help pump some money back into the local economy no matter what condition the island is in. Wishing the best for this and all islands hit by this devastation.

Any information anyone can share, we want to take a taxi over to Orient Bay for the morning. Can we rent umbrellas? Is there anywhere to get a drink and some lunch? Are the roads in good enough shape to catch a cab? Safe? This is what we usually like to do. The pictures are great, feel bad for the island folks. We leave on Feb. 11 heading that way. Thank you, Pat

Again, if anyone knows for sure if Sharkey's was rebuilt ? A great little "watering hole" bar with ice cold Amstel Bright beer to stop off on the way back to the ship from the beach located on the right side just before you get to walk on the pier along with a few other small places that sell everything. If anyone can snap some pictures of that particular area and post them, please do.

Thank you for the very helpful photos!:) Looking forward to our visit, happy to help pump some money back into the local economy no matter what condition the island is in. Wishing the best for this and all islands hit by this devastation.

Wonderful informative photos. Thanks for posting. Headed

there early summer and wondering which excursions to book with RCC or to do them locally.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos.

I have started a trip report on this cruise on the Royal boards. I am done with day 3 and as this was day 5 on our cruise so I should get to it by this weekend or early next week. I will post a link to when it started as I am too lazy to re-post it here.

Hi I was looking at booking with Bernard tours, can you confirm which tour includes the beach near the airport. there are two available on the website but neither mention MOYO beach or have I got it wrong.

Thanks

When we booked our tour for December, they still had the old tour info. I noticed that they have since revised things. Tours now start at 9:30 instead of 9.

Both tours takes you to Maho beach to watch the planes. We only got 30 minutes there. I wished we could have taken 15 minutes less at Marigot and divert it to Maho instead. Marigot was really dead during our visit but I don't know because it was Christmas Day or post hurricane damage.

Any information anyone can share, we want to take a taxi over to Orient Bay for the morning. Can we rent umbrellas? Is there anywhere to get a drink and some lunch? Are the roads in good enough shape to catch a cab? Safe? This is what we usually like to do. The pictures are great, feel bad for the island folks. We leave on Feb. 11 heading that way. Thank you, Pat

On Christmas Day, at the section of Orient Bay the tour took us to, this was the only place we saw that sells drinks. Not to say you couldn't find some elsewhere. As you can see, pretty bare. No place to sit by the bar.

However, I am sure things can change daily and more places will be up later on so my info could be already outdated.

Roads were fine. Tour took us around the entire island. No issues with roads. You might want to arrange for round trip transportation with a pre scheduled pick up time as when we were there, we didn't see too many people/taxi at Orient Bay but then again, we were only the second major ship to visit in December so maybe the infrastructure wasn't ready yet but things could be different by next month.

enhance

enhance

Only place with umbrellas are on the other side of the rocks

enhance

how far away is Bernard from the ship? for a person with issues walking long distances, do you recommend it? The last time i used him, he told us to meet him in a parking lot outside of the cruise terminal area.

It's a decent hike to the other end of the cruise terminal. Technically he is still inside the fence but he is at the edge

Here is the pier

enhance

Turn around and walk the other way

enhance

Walk past the shops

enhance

Here is where his tent is located. I took this picture standing outside his tent looking back at the ship. You have to judge for yourself if you can make it this far

enhance

Here is the white tent where you wait for the tour to start. At least you get to sit compared to other islands' tours where you just stand at a spot and wait

enhance

Friar's Bay looks pretty nice. We're headed to St. Martin/Maarten on Anthem of the Seas on February 25th. I was considering going to Karakter Beach on Simpson Bay but there have been recent reports of waste water going into that Bay from Kim Sha Beach so I'm a bit hesitant. Friar's Bay is a bit further. I'm wondering if you saw any taxis at Friar's Bay at all. Just wondering what the chances are that I could get stuck there without transportation back to the ship.

Cindy

Hi Cindy. , I’m looking to go friars bay as well, but my daughter recently had back surgery so I’m a bit concerned. We leave mid March. If you do go. Can you plz report. I’d greatly appreciate it thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Cindy. , I’m looking to go friars bay as well, but my daughter recently had back surgery so I’m a bit concerned. We leave mid March. If you do go. Can you plz report. I’d greatly appreciate it thanks

If we end up going to Friars, I'll definitely report back.

Cindy

Friar's Bay looks pretty nice. We're headed to St. Martin/Maarten on Anthem of the Seas on February 25th. I was considering going to Karakter Beach on Simpson Bay but there have been recent reports of waste water going into that Bay from Kim Sha Beach so I'm a bit hesitant. Friar's Bay is a bit further. I'm wondering if you saw any taxis at Friar's Bay at all. Just wondering what the chances are that I could get stuck there without transportation back to the ship.

Cindy

These are the only two pictures I have of the parking lot by the beach. One bus is from our tour and I think the other bus is from another tour. But that was last month, maybe things have changed since then.

I would make arrangement with the taxi driver to have round trip so he will come back to pick you up in the afternoon. In theory the restaurant there might be able to find a cab for you but I don't know how hard it will be to get one.

enhance

enhance

These are the only two pictures I have of the parking lot by the beach. One bus is from our tour and I think the other bus is from another tour. But that was last month, maybe things have changed since then.

I would make arrangement with the taxi driver to have round trip so he will come back to pick you up in the afternoon. In theory the restaurant there might be able to find a cab for you but I don't know how hard it will be to get one.

enhance

enhance

I would actually see if I could pay the whole taxi fare on the ride back. You do not want to be stranded all the way out at Friars. Ensure that you have a ride back is the best advice that one can give you if you are visiting Friars Bay beach on a cruise.