Help please! RC capacity limits?

I have learned something because in 46 cruises on RC,P&O,Sun Cruises, Princess or NCL we never knew beforehand what muster station we had or heard about space being available or not at a specific muster station determining availability.

Most people don’t as it only ever affects people such as the OP who are trying to add an extra guest to the booking close to sail date.

Hubs & I booked a cruise in March while onboard another ship with our kids & grandkids. They tried to book as well.... but got the dreaded (never seen it before ever) no staterooms available for 4 guests message. Called RC & the rep told me he had never seen that before but stated it was a Coast Guard rule. So, they couldn't book it. So, I started looking online EVERY DAY... for two months.…… nothing. THEN on July 4th...they started the sale..... I looked again...still no staterooms for 4.... I checked again the next day...BAM! one was available! We grabbed it. Then I checked the next day...just for grins...same story... no staterooms for 4. So, I guess a cabin just opened up... IDK. But perseverance paid of for us. But 5 weeks out? Slim to none chance I am thinking...…….

OP...maybe try booking a totally different cabin...or give up the suite & get two cabins? Good luck.

Really not much chance because the cancellation would have to be at only the OP's muster station.

That’s possible. Still, it costs nothing to try posting on the roll call. As noted it is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Who knows...maybe there is somebody on the roll call who wants to keep their current cabin by keeping no-show third on their booking. They might be induced to sub a different name as their third, assuming that person paid some $ and never came to the cabin.

It would be nice to know the kid’s age, but since it is a large family group, adults and kids could potentially be moved among cabins if necessary to avoid rules.

Hubs & I booked a cruise in March while onboard another ship with our kids & grandkids. They tried to book as well.... but got the dreaded (never seen it before ever) no staterooms available for 4 guests message. Called RC & the rep told me he had never seen that before but stated it was a Coast Guard rule. So, they couldn't book it. So, I started looking online EVERY DAY... for two months.…… nothing. THEN on July 4th...they started the sale..... I looked again...still no staterooms for 4.... I checked again the next day...BAM! one was available! We grabbed it. Then I checked the next day...just for grins...same story... no staterooms for 4. So, I guess a cabin just opened up... IDK. But perseverance paid of for us. But 5 weeks out? Slim to none chance I am thinking...…….

OP...maybe try booking a totally different cabin...or give up the suite & get two cabins? Good luck.

At this point I would be very happy to get a second room anywhere on the boat and will do it we need to, either bring a babysitter or have one of the adults in the second room. Really hope that’s a possibility. Thanks for advice, I’m reading all these replies.

At this point I would be very happy to get a second room anywhere on the boat and will do it we need to, either bring a babysitter or have one of the adults in the second room. Really hope that’s a possibility. Thanks for advice, I’m reading all these replies.

Remember about the second room. If one of the adults goes in that room then they won’t qualify for the suite perks even if they are sleeping in the suite. Since you would be basically paying for 2 anyway, bringing along a babysitter is a great idea. Both adults get the perks, your child can sleep with you in the suite, the babysitter gets their own cabin and you a babysitter whenever you need.

Remember about the second room. If one of the adults goes in that room then they won’t qualify for the suite perks even if they are sleeping in the suite. Since you would be basically paying for 2 anyway, bringing along a babysitter is a great idea. Both adults get the perks, your child can sleep with you in the suite, the babysitter gets their own cabin and you a babysitter whenever you need.

Have you guys had experience with this before where it looked completely booked? Anyone have two cents on how likely it is for any interior/outside/balcony room to open up for general booking? I know people can get 50% refund if they cancel 30 days out, So I am hoping that may motivate a few people to change their plans before that mark (which would be this week).

This same thing happened to my father. He booked a balcony for himself and it was a double cabin. Several weeks before the cruise, he decided to add a friend as he was paying for two people anyway sans port charges and fees.

He called Royal Caribbean as that's where the booking was and was told the same thing. There is no capacity as the life boat serving his cabin was full. They explained that there were other cabins that held 3 or 4 on the same lifeboat and that capacity was reached. He kept checking, but he was never able to add the friend.

I hope your outcome is better, but be prepared to not be able to have your son go on the cruise with you, at least not in the suite.

A number of the Anthem sailings this summer have bumped up against capacity limits. Suspect it might be due to recent kids sail free offers. We're on the 7/26 sailing and several weeks ago there were over 100 balcony cabins and almost 40 js & s still available. All had two passengers limit. Today we're completely sold out.

Too bad they can't throw a couple of Park West folks overboard to make room for op's child.

I have learned something because in 46 cruises on RC,P&O,Sun Cruises, Princess or NCL we never knew beforehand what muster station we had or heard about space being available or not at a specific muster station determining availability.

The muster station is set by cabin location and does not change between cruises. Most cruise lines have the muster station number and directions to it on a permanent placard on the cabin door, as well as on your sea pass card.As such you might not know in advance which muster station your cabin is assigned to, but the booking system certainly does and will cap sales when the limit is reached. They will usually assume that all cabins will be sold, and will limit the 3/4 numbers accordingly.

They do not assign someone to a muster station other than that the one determined by cabin.

Anyone have two cents on how likely it is for any interior/outside/balcony room to open up for general booking?

Two things are working against you, sailing in high season and having the cruise industry and RCI in particular doing very well. While the average occupancy rate for all of RCCL is about 110%, some sailings are at 120% - it's really tough to find space this late with those kinds of numbers.

This is why many of us advise to initially book someone if there is a chance they will be going. Easier to cancel later if they cannot go.

Amen! Just because you book a quad doesn't mean 4 people will be allowed to go on the cruise. I've seen some sailings where almost all quads had to be doubles because almost all the triples were filled with 3 people each.

OP here: after much pleading, I got an email back saying that something opened up, and I was able to add him. Whew! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Great news! Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once lifeboat capacity is reached withing a section of rooms for it, then no more passengers can be added to one of those rooms. It is always best to add a person at the beginning then to try and add later on. Right after I posted I saw you were able to add them, that is great.

OP here: after much pleading, I got an email back saying that something opened up, and I was able to add him. Whew! Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Fantastic news very happy for you and your family.

I hope you all have a wonderful Cruise.

Woohoo!! That’s great news. So happy for you! Hope you all have the best time.

The muster station is set by cabin location and does not change between cruises. Most cruise lines have the muster station number and directions to it on a permanent placard on the cabin door, as well as on your sea pass card.As such you might not know in advance which muster station your cabin is assigned to, but the booking system certainly does and will cap sales when the limit is reached. They will usually assume that all cabins will be sold, and will limit the 3/4 numbers accordingly.

They do not assign someone to a muster station other than that the one determined by cabin.

I do not think that this is always true. My wife's and I were on the July 9 cruise on the Mariner OTS. When we checked in on line, we received SetSail passes that showed "Muster Station A02". (I think that showing muster stations on SetSail passes is a new feature for RCCL.) However, when we checked in at the port, we were given room keycards marked "B7 Assembly Station". This was in spite of the fact that we printed the SetSail passes at the last opportunity only 4 days before the cruise, well after the Mariner resumed operations after the June dry dock. The plaque in the cabin also was marked B7 but it looked brand new. I guessed that the cruise line must have shifted the cabin from A2 to B7 because A2 was over capacity.