Sojourn Holiday Cruise Dec 21st

sarahjane01

Hi everyone,

Being a new to this board and a Seabourn Virgin I am having a slight panic as to what wardrobe I should bring with me on the above cruise.

I have 3 evening( full length gowns) I am bringing plus an array of evening separates/cocktail dresses. I think I am sorted but the DH is not.

Will he need a tux for this cruise ?- I am assuming there will be special evenings as its the holidays and we are onboard for New Year. What do the men wear of an evening? Will a suit be ok? What about on less formal nights, I was thinking a sports jacket and shirt - would he get away with trousers (dress) and a polo to some nights or trousers and a Tommy Bahama shirt( not the floral kind).

Sorry to bombard with the questions but he is driving me insane as trying to get him to go shopping is an impossible task....... sure the ladies will understand my frustration.

Hope to see some of you onboard - getting nervous as I am not too sure how this works as its a new cruise line for me and I am the type who likes to know in advance. LOL :-)

Hi everyone,

Being a new to this board and a Seabourn Virgin I am having a slight panic as to what wardrobe I should bring with me on the above cruise.

I have 3 evening( full length gowns) I am bringing plus an array of evening separates/cocktail dresses. I think I am sorted but the DH is not.

Will he need a tux for this cruise ?- I am assuming there will be special evenings as its the holidays and we are onboard for New Year. What do the men wear of an evening? Will a suit be ok? What about on less formal nights, I was thinking a sports jacket and shirt - would he get away with trousers (dress) and a polo to some nights or trousers and a Tommy Bahama shirt( not the floral kind).

Sorry to bombard with the questions but he is driving me insane as trying to get him to go shopping is an impossible task....... sure the ladies will understand my frustration.

Hope to see some of you onboard - getting nervous as I am not too sure how this works as its a new cruise line for me and I am the type who likes to know in advance. LOL :-)

Hi Sarahjane, You'll find a very lengthy thread on 'Dress Code' at the top of this list as well as a thread on "Referral Coupons". As a first timer with Seabourn you are entitled to a $400 onboard credit. I am sure you will have a great trip.

Specific to that cruise there will probably be 3 formal nights and the bulk of the gentlemen do wear DJ's. However I have yet to see anyone ostracised for wearing a suit instead so please don't let it ruin your holiday.

Ultimately it just means more action for those of us dressed to thrill with our James Bond swagger :)

For the rest of the cruise the bulk of the evenings will be smart casual in the dining room. Smart trousers (no jeans) and a shirt. Jacket if you want to but not essential. I've taken to wearing waistcoats as an alternative to jackets in warmer climes. Still smart but cooler. I will take a jacket or two just for variety formwhen the mood takes.

I don't own a tie other than bow ties so always wear shirts open at the collar. Shows off the Matnum esque chest & medallion, (only kidding).

Shoes of course maketh the man so don't forget to pack some although if you're buying new do break them in or else you will come flying down the carpeted stairs on new soles.

Any other questions feel free to post away.

Henry :)

Formal nights aren't as formal as you might imagine these days, although it is nice to see people make an effort with a tux and gownless evening strap. In our experience people don't really take much notice of whether someone is wearing the same outfit more than once so don't over-pack. I guarantee you won't wear half of it.

Two points - you do not NEED a suit, but Christmas and New Year are a bit more 'formal' on formal nights. I personally would recommend a tux for him; forget about a suit as well, and another jacket is not really necessary. Also, a waistcoat (vest in American?) is a nice idea, if he has one and likes wearing it for any non-formal evening, but a shirt with collar would do fine.

OP ..... Hubby does not need tux. Unless that is his wish/style I would say no way. So many more options with dark suit. It sounds like you have it on target for him YOU will be way over packed.

Remember, most responses have come from Brits.

We were on the Sojourn for the same cruise in 2015. On New Year’s Eve many but not all of the men wore tux’s and it added to the atmosphere. It is not required and a dark suit or dark blazer with tie would work. On Christmas Eve it was more casual.

As a Brit wading again - if the OP is planning to wear long evening gowns, then I would suggest the most appropriate garb for her DH would be a tux/DJ. Again I would stress this is mainly because it is a Christmas/New Year cruise, and I just feel he might feel more at home dressed that way. Lady in a cocktail dress on formal evenings, then gent in a dark suit is appropriate. No doubt a lot of non-Brits think of us as a bit stuffy - we do not do Christmas cruises, and my DH therefore takes just a jacket (sometimes with tie) for the formal optionals. He is delighted that we no longer have to pack the suit, special shirt and black shoes, nor have to ask me to tie his bow tie for him!

Forgot to add we upgraded to a penthouse suite - are they nice?

Yes they are. Quite a lot larger than the veranda suites, the bedroom is enclosed by glass wall with curtains so feels more private and you have a good sized sitting area with a larger TV. There is a round glass topped table which is ideal for in-suite dining/snacks, the toilet is separated from the bathroom and the closet is a bit bigger.

What we particularly like is that the veranda is quite a bit bigger which is great if you spend time out there.