Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi all... Although Hershey wasn't a service dog I somewhat butted in and followed along your posts the past few months reading all about your amazing dogs.

Haven't posted for a while but I had to let Hershey go this morning. We woke up as per normal (a lazy Sunday morning) but she couldn't move her back legs. She had the most terrified look on her face that her body was betraying her like it was. She has been declining rapidly the past few months - her vision was gone (walking into walls, doors and open dishwasher doors wasn't unheard of), her lumps and bumps were getting bigger (one got 'scuffed' on the stairs last week and I had to resort to bandaging it up and keeping her away from it by putting socks on her!) and going up/down stairs was a huge trek for a dog who used to bolt up the stairs and sit there looking at me like ummm come on hurry up already.

I made the promise to her once she started showing signs of 'getting old' that when the time came I would do the most humane thing I could do. My biggest fear the past few months was that something would happen while I was at work and that she'd be alone, hurt and scared. She wasn't alone and I don't think she was scared or hurting.

Even though it's only been a few hours the one thing I can say is don't take the sound of the thump thump thump tail wagging or the jingle of the shaking tags for granted... it's horrible when it's gone :(

Hershey

March 24, 2000 - August 26, 2012

May everyday at Rainbow Bridge be filled with chasing tennis balls and making doggy angels in the snow

Edited by Beth C

Hi all... Although Hershey wasn't a service dog I somewhat butted in and followed along your posts the past few months reading all about your amazing dogs.

Haven't posted for a while but I had to let Hershey go this morning. We woke up as per normal (a lazy Sunday morning) but she couldn't move her back legs. She had the most terrified look on her face that her body was betraying her like it was. She has been declining rapidly the past few months - her vision was gone (walking into walls, doors and open dishwasher doors wasn't unheard of), her lumps and bumps were getting bigger (one got 'scuffed' on the stairs last week and I had to resort to bandaging it up and keeping her away from it by putting socks on her!) and going up/down stairs was a huge trek for a dog who used to bolt up the stairs and sit there looking at me like ummm come on hurry up already.

I made the promise to her once she started showing signs of 'getting old' that when the time came I would do the most humane thing I could do. My biggest fear the past few months was that something would happen while I was at work and that she'd be alone, hurt and scared. She wasn't alone and I don't think she was scared or hurting.

Even though it's only been a few hours the one thing I can say is don't take the sound of the thump thump thump tail wagging or the jingle of the shaking tags for granted... it's horrible when it's gone :(

Hershey

May everyday at Rainbow Bridge be filled with chasing tennis balls and making doggy angels in the snow

BethC - I have been "lurking" this thread for a few weeks now and felt a bit of an intruder as like you we have dogs but not service dogs.

I am so sad to read of your loss of your beautiful chocolate girl - I loved her photos you posted some time ago. We have a chocolate boy and a black girl.

Our four legged friends without a doubt leave footprints on our hearts, and you did the most wonderful, unselfish thing this morning for your lovely Hershey. She'll be wagging her tail and chasing rainbows ....... :)

I'm going to give our two an extra big hug tonight and think of you.

Beth C and Fairbourne, like you guys I do not have a service dog either. Don't feel like you are butting in, these folks are great. When I first starting posting on this thread we had our big beautiful yellow lab, Reno. He was the center of our life for 12 years. He has been gone for 2 years and it still hurts. Beth, he had the same reaction as Hershey. He was getting by but slowly slipping. Within 2 weeks, he was like her and just couldn't get up or down without pain. We had to make the decision also. It almost killed me. When we were waiting at the vet, a man brought his black lab in and she was dragging her hind legs. He got her a shot and took her home. I doubted myself and if I was doing the right thing. She didn't appear to be in pain. I asked the vet tech who is a dear friend of mine and was Reno's babysitter when we cruised if I was doing the right thing and if it was okay about the black lab. She told me it was time for Reno and it was not ok for the black lab but if her parents weren't ready, there was nothing anyone could do. Bless you and know that Hershey is in very good company on the other side of the Bridge. She is running free without pain and knows that you loved her.

First, Sunshine, I'm so glad to hear of the successful double lung transplant your husband had!! I hope all continues to progress as it needs to (slow is okay sometimes) and that he'll have a better life with his new breathers now! :)

Second, to the guy who asked about doctor's approval for getting a service dog, no, a doctor's "prescription" or letter is not required by law. Most service dog programs do choose to require the doctor to fill out forms and give medical info. on the person because they want to be sure the person has a real need (they spend tens of thousands of dollars training each dog) and they need to know what the person can and can't do and what they need the dog to help them with. That documentation is for the program, not for the law. Should the service dog handler be taken to court over an access issue, however, they will then need documentation from their doctor(s) as well as dog experts and the dog's trainer.

Thirdly, for those who lost their dogs, that is so sad to hear! May you forever keep your dogs in your hearts and memories.

I've been doing okay. I've been having some symptoms come back despite my treatments of my newly-rediagnosed issue, but I'm hoping some adjustments to my med and soon an additional PRN med (hopefully) and maybe an adjustment to my medical device will help.

Recently, we went on a last-minute Bahamas trip (three days to prepare between hearing it would happen and flying out!) and that was nice. We'd never been there in August before - boy was the humidity killer! I would just step outside and literally start dripping in sweat! (I'm thinking maybe my new med made me more prone to sweating, too, since I do not normally sweat like that!!)

The funniest thing happened to us as we were stopped at the gas station to fill the rental car up before returning it. It was a full-service station, so an employee filled the tank for us. He happened to look into the window of the back seat and saw the "CERTIFIED SERVICE DOG" writing on the little pack my service dog wears behind her mobility harness, as my dog was sitting on that side of the car. He started freaking out, so excited to see a service dog in real life! He kept saying to all his co-workers, "Look! It's a real service dog! It's a service dog! They are so amazing! They can alert to people's medical problems and help them!" It was the funniest thing, especially since we were just sitting in the car, not out walking, so it isn't like he saw the dog helping me at the moment. He was pointing her out to EVERYONE - even as we were driving off, we could hear him excitedly saying, "Look! It's a service dog!" He must have seen them on TV/in movies ... and obviously is very impressed with all the wonderful things our dogs can do for us! :) (For those who don't know, the Bahamas doesn't really have service dogs. They tried it once, but it didn't work well because the locals had too many access issues since there are no access laws for disabled people with service dogs in the Bahamas. So, Bahamians don't see service dogs unless they work with tourists and, even then, it is rare. I've not had any access denials in the Bahamas, but I'm more used to educating people than the locals new to having service dogs likely were. Hopefully, they will try having service dogs again one day.)

Well, I'm still looking into a cruise in 2014 with friends and family (whoever wants to come), but am not sure which one yet. I thought I was, but talking with others has made me look at some other options. It'd be nice to cruise again, so I hope it works out! Until then, I have land trips to keep me travel-happy. ;) For those going on cruises soon, I hope you have a blast!!

Hershey

Awwww Beth, I'm so sorry. Losing 4 pets in the past few years, I know how hard it is. I know everyone says it, but it does get better. It just takes time. Just know we are all here for you when you feel like talking.

Cindy

Beth C and Fairbourne, like you guys I do not have a service dog either. Don't feel like you are butting in, these folks are great. When I first starting posting on this thread we had our big beautiful yellow lab, Reno. He was the center of our life for 12 years. He has been gone for 2 years and it still hurts. Beth, he had the same reaction as Hershey. He was getting by but slowly slipping. Within 2 weeks, he was like her and just couldn't get up or down without pain. We had to make the decision also. It almost killed me. When we were waiting at the vet, a man brought his black lab in and she was dragging her hind legs. He got her a shot and took her home. I doubted myself and if I was doing the right thing. She didn't appear to be in pain. I asked the vet tech who is a dear friend of mine and was Reno's babysitter when we cruised if I was doing the right thing and if it was okay about the black lab. She told me it was time for Reno and it was not ok for the black lab but if her parents weren't ready, there was nothing anyone could do. Bless you and know that Hershey is in very good company on the other side of the Bridge. She is running free without pain and knows that you loved her.

Thank you Nancy for your kind words about us. You don't have to have a service dog to come and join in our discussion. Nancy has been here since the beginning and we just love her. We have gone through quite a few deaths here through the years and I can't speak for anyone else but the people on here have helped me more than they know. We love all dogs and owners, everyone is welcome.

First, Sunshine, I'm so glad to hear of the successful double lung transplant your husband had!! I hope all continues to progress as it needs to (slow is okay sometimes) and that he'll have a better life with his new breathers now! :)

Second, to the guy who asked about doctor's approval for getting a service dog, no, a doctor's "prescription" or letter is not required by law. Most service dog programs do choose to require the doctor to fill out forms and give medical info. on the person because they want to be sure the person has a real need (they spend tens of thousands of dollars training each dog) and they need to know what the person can and can't do and what they need the dog to help them with. That documentation is for the program, not for the law. Should the service dog handler be taken to court over an access issue, however, they will then need documentation from their doctor(s) as well as dog experts and the dog's trainer.

Thirdly, for those who lost their dogs, that is so sad to hear! May you forever keep your dogs in your hearts and memories.

I've been doing okay. I've been having some symptoms come back despite my treatments of my newly-rediagnosed issue, but I'm hoping some adjustments to my med and soon an additional PRN med (hopefully) and maybe an adjustment to my medical device will help.

Recently, we went on a last-minute Bahamas trip (three days to prepare between hearing it would happen and flying out!) and that was nice. We'd never been there in August before - boy was the humidity killer! I would just step outside and literally start dripping in sweat! (I'm thinking maybe my new med made me more prone to sweating, too, since I do not normally sweat like that!!)

The funniest thing happened to us as we were stopped at the gas station to fill the rental car up before returning it. It was a full-service station, so an employee filled the tank for us. He happened to look into the window of the back seat and saw the "CERTIFIED SERVICE DOG" writing on the little pack my service dog wears behind her mobility harness, as my dog was sitting on that side of the car. He started freaking out, so excited to see a service dog in real life! He kept saying to all his co-workers, "Look! It's a real service dog! It's a service dog! They are so amazing! They can alert to people's medical problems and help them!" It was the funniest thing, especially since we were just sitting in the car, not out walking, so it isn't like he saw the dog helping me at the moment. He was pointing her out to EVERYONE - even as we were driving off, we could hear him excitedly saying, "Look! It's a service dog!" He must have seen them on TV/in movies ... and obviously is very impressed with all the wonderful things our dogs can do for us! :) (For those who don't know, the Bahamas doesn't really have service dogs. They tried it once, but it didn't work well because the locals had too many access issues since there are no access laws for disabled people with service dogs in the Bahamas. So, Bahamians don't see service dogs unless they work with tourists and, even then, it is rare. I've not had any access denials in the Bahamas, but I'm more used to educating people than the locals new to having service dogs likely were. Hopefully, they will try having service dogs again one day.)

Well, I'm still looking into a cruise in 2014 with friends and family (whoever wants to come), but am not sure which one yet. I thought I was, but talking with others has made me look at some other options. It'd be nice to cruise again, so I hope it works out! Until then, I have land trips to keep me travel-happy. ;) For those going on cruises soon, I hope you have a blast!!

Quam, Nice to hear from you! So glad you had a nice getaway to the Bahamas. I was just thinking that I need to get my paperwork going for our cruise. I just love when people get so excited about seeing a service dog and you can educate them.

Cindy

Hi Honey's I'm Home, we had so much fun with all our family and Horton was definitely the hit of the party and Brenda [my sweet, adorable little girl] was so sweet, as usual. Horty would grab someone's shoe, turn, look to make sure Brenda was watching him [he's so proud of his bad behavior], he's such a joyful dog. I just love him and so does everyone else! He doesn't chew on anything, he just wants everyone to try and come and get it. :)

Quam, it's so good to hear from you. I hope all your health issues are only memories for you. The way the gas station attendant reacted to your Service Dog was so sweet. It happens more often than not that people are taken aback in amazement over our dogs. When I see another Service Dog [and it's rare], I'm ALWAYS very impressed and in awe!

Nancy, you're kind words are so welcoming and comforting.

Cindy, you come from a life filled with experiences and make us all feel so good. I treasure your wise and gentle wisdom.

Fairbourne, thank you for your kind words for Beth. I'd love to hear more about your chocolate boy and black girl.

Beth, I'm so, so sorry about the loss of your beloved "Hershey." You loved her with all your heart and soul and she knew it. That kind of love goes very deep and nothing can deminish it. May all the wonderful memories that you shared with her sustain you through the days, weeks and months ahead. We're here for you and can never get tired of your stories and pictures of her. She'll rest in peace now, no more hurts.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

OMG! I hate getting back to work after being off for more than one day. So much to do, so much to catch-up on. But, there's always time for you guys.

I hope everyone's well. I see, on Facebook, that Rich is coming along nicely and that he'll be going into rehab any day. I pray that it remains to be a good recovery and that he's home with his beloved Karen [sunshine] very soon.

My heart breaks for Beth and I hope that the days ahead will be easier and easier over the loss of her precious "Hershey." Our Barbara is still in the depths of her loss of Valentine and I send my best wishes to her and her wonderful husband. The reality of our dogs leaving us is overwhelming.

Stay cool and well everyone......I must get back to work.

Thanks for all the :( for Hershey everyone - It feels so much more sincere when people you know LOVE their dogs say it. Friends and people I work with say their 'i'm sorrys' but they just don't "get it".

I have to say these last few days have been a really hard adjustment - from the silence of not hearing toenails on the hardwood, the jingling of the tags when she shook, thumping of her tail against whatever was in her way and the soft but loud snoring next to my bed.

My whole routine is out of whack now too... i've set the house alarm off every morning this week because I don't turn it off first thing when going downstairs to let her out... i've found myself sitting around waiting to go to work because I don't have to take her out, feed her etc, getting out of bed and watching my step because her bed was right beside mine, making sure the door to the basement is closed so she didn't accidentally fall down the stairs and even tonight I was going out to the BBQ just to flip the chicken and caught myself quietly trying to open the door (she would hear the click of the door and come flying to go outside with me even if it was for 2 seconds)

I know in my heart of hearts I did the best thing for her - the past couple weeks she took up barking (would never bark for 'no reason' with me) but I figure she was doing it because she could hear/smell my neighbours in their yard but she couldn't see them when she was out there. Every trip up the 14 steps upstairs was taking a bit longer and every trip back down was more hesitant. A couple of weeks ago I ran to the store and was only gone 10 minutes max and somehow she managed to get over the barricaded steps and upstairs - I came home to find her crying outside my bedroom door because she didn't know where I was... My biggest fear was that something would happen to her when I wasn't home or between the time I would go to work and Dad would come over to stay with her and she'd be hurt and alone. Unfortunately it still doesn't make it easier.

Welcome back Roz!!! Glad to hear you had a good time with your kids and grandchildren. Hopefully someday I will have a grandchild that I can spoil! :D

We spent last night at the hospital. John has been having some headaches and terrible sweats. Of course this could be anything, being a quad it's hard to tell what it could be. After talking with his doctor, he thought that John had diverticulitis (sp) and told him his best bet was to go to the emergency room. After a cat scan and bloodwork, they decided it was diverticulosis (sp). Which is not really bad according to the doctors. Anyway he is fine but will be on a clear liquid diet today and then the BRAT diet after that ( bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). I'm sure all the mothers know what that is. The poor guy hasn't slept for days and is missing the first week of work (only teachers). He will be fine in a few days. We both love to eat salads but as we get older they don't love us. I think he over did it and caused this problem himself. Hopefully he will learn to only eat one salad every couple weeks. Of course Wex was the hit of the hospital. I think every nurse was there to pat him. He sucks up the bellies and all the attention. One nurse even took him out to potty. They were all so nice.

Cindy

Thanks for all the :( for Hershey everyone - It feels so much more sincere when people you know LOVE their dogs say it. Friends and people I work with say their 'i'm sorrys' but they just don't "get it".

I have to say these last few days have been a really hard adjustment - from the silence of not hearing toenails on the hardwood, the jingling of the tags when she shook, thumping of her tail against whatever was in her way and the soft but loud snoring next to my bed.

My whole routine is out of whack now too... i've set the house alarm off every morning this week because I don't turn it off first thing when going downstairs to let her out... i've found myself sitting around waiting to go to work because I don't have to take her out, feed her etc, getting out of bed and watching my step because her bed was right beside mine, making sure the door to the basement is closed so she didn't accidentally fall down the stairs and even tonight I was going out to the BBQ just to flip the chicken and caught myself quietly trying to open the door (she would hear the click of the door and come flying to go outside with me even if it was for 2 seconds)

I know in my heart of hearts I did the best thing for her - the past couple weeks she took up barking (would never bark for 'no reason' with me) but I figure she was doing it because she could hear/smell my neighbours in their yard but she couldn't see them when she was out there. Every trip up the 14 steps upstairs was taking a bit longer and every trip back down was more hesitant. A couple of weeks ago I ran to the store and was only gone 10 minutes max and somehow she managed to get over the barricaded steps and upstairs - I came home to find her crying outside my bedroom door because she didn't know where I was... My biggest fear was that something would happen to her when I wasn't home or between the time I would go to work and Dad would come over to stay with her and she'd be hurt and alone. Unfortunately it still doesn't make it easier.

Beth, Its amazing how much animals become a part of our lives. Our whole routine revolves around them. Nothing will make it easier except time.

Cindy

Aw, Beth, I know you just had to stop writing about Hershey and all that you're experiencing now and before she passed. I wanted to hear more.

Everything you describe about the sights and sounds of Hershey are exactly what my Brenny does; the tail thumps, the nail clicks and when she shakes her head....her sounds are part of me and my daily life. Horton, on the other hand; he sounds like a horse when he drinks, he thunders off the bed and runs through the house like a minature pony but still does not breach Brenda's couch [such a smart boy!] I would miss all these wonderful sounds and I'd be as confused as you without the two of them to keep me busy with feeding/grooming and just observing their play time together.

Hang in there and please come back and tell us more about your time with Hershey.

Welcome back Roz!!! Glad to hear you had a good time with your kids and grandchildren. Hopefully someday I will have a grandchild that I can spoil! :D

We spent last night at the hospital. John has been having some headaches and terrible sweats. Of course this could be anything, being a quad it's hard to tell what it could be. After talking with his doctor, he thought that John had diverticulitis (sp) and told him his best bet was to go to the emergency room. After a cat scan and bloodwork, they decided it was diverticulosis (sp). Which is not really bad according to the doctors. Anyway he is fine but will be on a clear liquid diet today and then the BRAT diet after that ( bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). I'm sure all the mothers know what that is. The poor guy hasn't slept for days and is missing the first week of work (only teachers). He will be fine in a few days. We both love to eat salads but as we get older they don't love us. I think he over did it and caused this problem himself. Hopefully he will learn to only eat one salad every couple weeks. Of course Wex was the hit of the hospital. I think every nurse was there to pat him. He sucks up the bellies and all the attention. One nurse even took him out to potty. They were all so nice.

Cindy

Cindy, please give John my best regards, poor guy! I so agree about the salad thing, but I love them. When I was younger it was no problem having a salad for lunch and then another for dinner.......Yeh, right! Me and Charmin can become mighty close friends if I do that now!!!! Okay, okay...TMI!

You youngin's out there have a lot to look forward to, according to us!

Tell John to take care.....there's a cruise in his future! ;)

Welcome back Roz! Glad you had a good time.

Cindy, I sure hope John gets to feeling better. I have been having some "issues" lately and also have been eating salads for lunch and then maybe twice a week also for dinner. Never even thought of that being a problem. Will have to do some experiments!

We now have hardwood floors, again. I can tell where Jezzy is and what she is doing, if she wants to go out and go potty or if she is just chasing Leann Emily thru the house. I know what you mean about the sound.

Just for info, one of the other threads that I follow was closed again and re-opened as Part 3. Ours numbers are getting up there, so don't be surprised if this one gets closed and re-opened. Please, please, please everyone follow along. We won't be going anywhere!

Cindy, I sure hope John gets to feeling better. I have been having some "issues" lately and also have been eating salads for lunch and then maybe twice a week also for dinner. Never even thought of that being a problem. Will have to do some experiments!

We now have hardwood floors, again. I can tell where Jezzy is and what she is doing, if she wants to go out and go potty or if she is just chasing Leann Emily thru the house. I know what you mean about the sound.

Just for info, one of the other threads that I follow was closed again and re-opened as Part 3. Ours numbers are getting up there, so don't be surprised if this one gets closed and re-opened. Please, please, please everyone follow along. We won't be going anywhere!

Thanks, Nancy. I hope they don't close us. I'd be so confused! I know there's a lot of folks who read and follow us every day but don't write, because when I'm on a cruise and meet new people I can't begin to tell you how many tell me that they follow our blog daily and get advice and information and love to hear our stories about our dogs.

The Service Dog is a very interesting dynamic in our society. But, for those of us who love dogs and animals in general, hearing everyone's tales and learning great information is so wonderful.

We spent last night at the hospital. John has been having some headaches and terrible sweats. Of course this could be anything, being a quad it's hard to tell what it could be. After talking with his doctor, he thought that John had diverticulitis (sp) and told him his best bet was to go to the emergency room. After a cat scan and bloodwork, they decided it was diverticulosis (sp). Which is not really bad according to the doctors. Anyway he is fine but will be on a clear liquid diet today and then the BRAT diet after that ( bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).

Cindy

Glad you had a good trip Roz.

Cindy----hope John is feeling better-------I feel for him----I have diverticulitis off and on and had two surgeries for it. And I am still un sure what causes it to flair up. I try very hard to watch my diet but it still happens. I always have meds with me, just in case. Mine seems to come on so fast and get bad, right away.

All stay well now---we don't want to miss this cruise.

Sorry to hear about Hershey----I lost my dog a year ago and still get upset about her. We want to get another dog but just can't do it yet. I am looking forward to meeting Wex.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Trudy

We spent last night at the hospital. John has been having some headaches and terrible sweats. Of course this could be anything, being a quad it's hard to tell what it could be. After talking with his doctor, he thought that John had diverticulitis (sp) and told him his best bet was to go to the emergency room. After a cat scan and bloodwork, they decided it was diverticulosis (sp). Which is not really bad according to the doctors. Anyway he is fine but will be on a clear liquid diet today and then the BRAT diet after that ( bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).

Cindy

Cindy----hope John is feeling better-------I feel for him----I have diverticulitis off and on and had two surgeries for it. And I am still un sure what causes it to flair up. I try very hard to watch my diet but it still happens. I always have meds with me, just in case. Mine seems to come on so fast and get bad, right away.

Sorry to hear about Hershey----I lost my dog a year ago and still get upset about her. We want to get another dog but just can't do it yet. I am looking forward to meeting Wex.

Trudy

Thanks Trudy, you too!

Our Brenda is now 12 1/2 and we know that every day she's with us [and in good health] is a definite gift. I NEVER forget to give her a kiss good night before I go to bed. Sometimes she hides her head, as if to say, "leave me alone and let me sleep!" So cute!

I don't know how old you are Nancy, but I would lay off the salads for a bit and see what happens.

Close our thread? :eek: That would be awful!!!!! CC please say it isn't so!!

Cindy

Trudy

Thanks Trudy. John was feeling well enough to go to work today. It seems to be an awful ailment and I hope I never get it!

We can't wait for you to meet Wex. He's a sweetheart and a love.

Trudy

Thanks Trudy. John was feeling well enough to go to work today. It seems to be an awful ailment and I hope I never get it!

Trudy, promise to save some Wex, Cindy and John for me. I adore these guys [and dog] in cyber-space.....and, can only hope to get in my true-life hugs one day![/B]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I don't know how old you are Nancy, but I would lay off the salads for a bit and see what happens.

Close our thread? :eek: That would be awful!!!!! CC please say it isn't so!!

I consider CC my lifeline to all of you and my "stable-force!" I don't think the moderators would "close-down" such a successful thread. We have have folks who read it page-for-page!

Trudy

Yeh! Good for you John! Feel well!

Cindy, please give John my best regards, poor guy! I so agree about the salad thing, but I love them. When I was younger it was no problem having a salad for lunch and then another for dinner.......Yeh, right! Me and Charmin can become mighty close friends if I do that now!!!! Okay, okay...TMI!

You youngin's out there have a lot to look forward to, according to us!

Tell John to take care.....there's a cruise in his future! ;)

OMG Roz! TMI is right! LOL

John is better today. The doctor informed him last night that he DID have diverticulitis but they are only going to treat it with diet at this time. I sat here and watched him have gatorade and broth yesterday. I felt so bad eating my chicken florentina from the italian place down the street. He finally had some chicken and rice soup and an english muffin later last night. I looked up a diet on the internet so tonight I will make chilean sea bass cuz it said fish and poultry were good things to eat. He can also have mashed potatos and carrots, so he will be happy.

I wrote to Grand Turk the other day to find out what we needed for paperwork for the dog. They sent me a 5 page health certificate form and another form that is shorter but is kind of the same questions as the 5 page one. The form is actually called "international health certificate for dogs and cats from the US and Canada". OMG! Why isn't our health form enough. It asks for the same info.It says the dog should be treated for parasites14 days before we go. Why would we treat him for something he does not have? It also wants a titre test done "sometime in it's lifetime". It also looks like they want a USDA seal which we will have to drive 2 hours to get. They also want the "originals" to all the tests and paperwork. It has to be filled out by the vet no more that 7 days before the trip so I guess they do not want the form back til we get there. UGH. We are only going to the Margaritaville/poolarea at the dock. You would think with a service dog that they would know it's not just some mutt with rabies. Ok I'm done ranting.

I sent you the forms Roz, check them out.

One more rant. They also want a rabies vac done not less that 3 months before we go. So that gives me a week to get him there and get the shot.

Edited by rangeley

OK I feel better now. I hope everyone has a great weekend. We are going to our nephews football game tomorrow. He's a coach and him and his brand new wife just had a miscarriage this week so we want to see her. Then we are just veggitating for the rest of the weekend. John officially starts school Monday. Then the next 3 weekends a booked. Family reunion on the 8th, Town day on the 15th. (John is on the disability committee so we have to go) and the ADA 40th anniversary on the 22nd. Whew I'm tired already :D