21% growth in Australian cruise passenger numbers

Were you one of them? Almost 1.3 million Australians (5.3% market penetration, equivalent of 1 in 19 Aussies) took a cruise last year - a new record!

Full #ozcruisestats report from CLIA Australasia will be published on the News page soon. Good to see big continued growth for 2016! Question is whether it will continue over next few years without finding more space for the biggest ships in Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder what the real number is, as that wouldn't include people taking multiple cruises. Also, how do they distinguish "Australians?" People booking here, or using Australian id to board?

As for growth, given we already have the highest per capita cruising rate in the world, you'd expect that number to drop off. No reason that we should be massively above any other country in the number of people cruising,

With all this, I still can't understand why Royal is taking one of its biggest ships down here (Voyager) away and leaving us with only three ships during the season. Doesn't make sense. Seems a big mistake by Royal.

It's all about business. Mariner is being sent from Asia back to Florida. She had been operating in Asia and Singapore.

To keep the market in Singapore, they need a replacement, and are replacing her with Voyager. She was always intended for Asia anyway and was introduced as an extra here to grow our market. However, with two of the same ships here now, Voyager being the oldest, and Ovation newly added being even bigger and more popular as newer, Voyager was logical to move on as the replacement in Singapore.

It's all about business. Mariner is being sent from Asia back to Florida. She had been operating in Asia and Singapore.

To keep the market in Singapore, they need a replacement, and are replacing her with Voyager. She was always intended for Asia anyway and was introduced as an extra here to grow our market. However, with two of the same ships here now, Voyager being the oldest, and Ovation newly added being even bigger and more popular as newer, Voyager was logical to move on as the replacement in Singapore.

The Australia 2018/2019 season was due to go on sale tomorrow, and the programme was release about two weeks ago.

The programme was removed today from the site and the release date for the cruises to go on sale has now been pushed to June.

Do you think this could have anything to do with it? Could the give us Voyager back or another ship?

Were you one of them? Almost 1.3 million Australians (5.3% market penetration, equivalent of 1 in 19 Aussies) took a cruise last year - a new record!

Full #ozcruisestats report from CLIA Australasia will be published on the News page soon. Good to see big continued growth for 2016! Question is whether it will continue over next few years without finding more space for the biggest ships in Sydney.

There was an article in yesterday's Brisbane Courier Mail saying if there was insufficient berths for the mega ships in Sydney, there will be no growth in cruises to other ports, such as Brisbane and Melbourne.

With all this, I still can't understand why Royal is taking one of its biggest ships down here (Voyager) away and leaving us with only three ships during the season. Doesn't make sense. Seems a big mistake by Royal.

And Princess has removed Dawn Princess and have not replaced it.

And Princess has removed Dawn Princess and have not replaced it.

We have Majestic as well as Golden Princess now. I'd say that's more of a replacement. Albeit she's not here year round, but then neither were the sisters in practice due to the extended Pacific circle, world cruise and Asia cruises they did.