Trip insurance needed for beginner scuba dive?

tls716

I always purchase trip insurance, but going to take an excursion for first scuba dive this time. I'm not getting certified. Do I really need to spend the money on the extra "extreme sports" option for a beginner's dive lesson? Thanks!

Since the term "trip insurance" can include and exclude so many different coverages, it is impossible to make any kind of informed answer without knowing a great deal more about the specifics of the policy.

Your best answer would come from actually reading the fine print. What does the base policy include and exclude and what does any additional coverage include/exclude. Then, once informed, YOU can make the value decision. Because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. In fact, in most cases it flat out doesn't.

Read. Study. Evaluate. Decide. Kinda like the basic process for all life's decisions.

Most of these first dive experiences are fairly shallow. Where are you going to do it? For example, if it is in St. Thomas, your US medical insurance will cover you there.

I should mention that the first dive type experience they will ask if you have any hidden illnesses like high blood pressure or diabetes or whatever and if you do, they won't allow you to dive.

Thanks everyone. I looked at the "Exclusions" in the policys I was considering, & 2 of them did include dives less than 130 feet as long as with a dive master....I'm good to go! Checked out DAN and will definitely keep in mind for future. (Hopefully I will like diving enough to come back & get certified & need DAN in the future - after all, we did move to Florida, and my husband told me I needed to find a hobby!)