Trans Pacific?

laughing husky

Yes. I've sailed on the Diamond from Beijing to Whittier in April/May a few years ago. The weather ranged from hot and humid to cold and snowy. Don't remember the seas being rough. Once sailing from Busan, we sailed north of the Aleutians and then sailed between islands south towards Whittier.

All positioning cruises are hard to say what the weather and seas will bring. I've had gorgeous, wonderful weather on a northern route one time, horrible another year. Seas being rough too unpredictable to say they will be rough in April. I was on a cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver the whole time we were in a fog bank, couldn't see anything for days. The point is no way to judge.

Yes. I've sailed on the Diamond from Beijing to Whittier in April/May a few years ago. The weather ranged from hot and humid to cold and snowy. Don't remember the seas being rough. Once sailing from Busan, we sailed north of the Aleutians and then sailed between islands south towards Whittier.

Pam, I remember when that cruise came into Anchorage. We had late snows that year and even us Alaskans were shaking our heads.

And I guess that is my answer...You just never know....adds to the thrill....

Pam, how did you like your April/May transpacific cruise on the Diamond? We're trying to decide on the April 14th transpacific on the Golden, Singapore to Whittier, or round-trip Singapore, a 21 day cruise on the Sapphire leaving Jan 28th. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

We went from Beijing to Vancouver in mid May 2012. The was quite warm in China and comfortable in S. Korea and Japan. The seas were not overly rough but there was a storm in the North Pacific so the Captain took us north of the Aleutians, into the Bering Sea. It got quite cold and actually snowed while at sea. Some of the crew had never seen snow falling and had a ball playing in it. Be prepared for your internal clock getting totally messed up. You go through a time zone a day for I think 7 days, losing an hour each day. You go over the International Date Line and get to repeat a day. We had an entertainer show up late for a show because he got confused over which Wednesday he was supposed to perform.

We did the reverse of the TP described above a few years ago and sailed from Whittier to Bejing. It was a great trip. We did have to cancel a port stop in Japan due to a typhoon and also had to reroute a bit but otherwise the seas weren't too bad. It's not unlike a TA if you've done one of those. There's just no way to forecast what the seas will be like.

We are also booked on the April voyage you're referring to but are unsure if we will keep the reservation. It's not the best area of the world at the moment and we are also considering due to it being a little better timing.

Pam, how did you like your April/May transpacific cruise on the Diamond? We're trying to decide on the April 14th transpacific on the Golden, Singapore to Whittier, or round-trip Singapore, a 21 day cruise on the Sapphire leaving Jan 28th. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
I am on the Tokyo-Whittier leg of that ship. Have you joined the rollcall? It is mighty quiet. Pam, that was quite the snow we had when you came into port. Everyone was talking about it..

• 5 months later...

We are on the Golden commencing in Yokohama on April 27, 2018. Looking forward to that cruise. Not worrying about rough seas, as, one can get rough seas anywhere in the world. Was just in the Caribbean and the Crown was a rolling and a shaking for most of the day and night at one point. Been severely shaken up coming out of San Francisco on our way to Hawaii, loads of people heaving and vomiting in the dining room and throughout the ship over the course of two days. Been severely shaken up on our way up to Anchorage from Vancouver. Plenty of shaking on a Baltic cruise in August one year. Extreme shaking where my bed was actually moving up and down as opposed to side to side. Been smooth as silk 6 days crossing the Atlantic in April and stirred up violently in October crossing the Atlantic. Weather is weather. Gotta take the good with the bad. Just make sure that you bring plenty of Dramamine and hope for the best which is what we are doing. What I would worry about more than the weather is missiles flying overhead!!!!

We did a TP, although it was on Celebrity, a couple years ago. It was Tokyo to Vancouver. Once we left Russia, the seas were absolutely perfect the entire crossing, most of the times looking like a mirror. The weather was rainy in Japan and cold as can be in Russia.

I would definitely not try to get off in Russia again, their border control people made it very difficult and a tiring process. We were lucky and had a suite, so our Concierge with us for the disembarkation, it ended up taking almost two hours to get off the ship! Once ashore, I generally did not feel safe. All of the Russians stared down all of the passengers and obviously tried to make us feel uncomfortable.

The captain got to the Eastern coast of North America "early" so we were able to sail the straits as we headed to Vancouver. If you have not seen them, you need to. It was the highlight of the entire cruise!

When this thread was originally started back in September we weren’t sure if we’d stick with the April Tokyo to Whittier voyage. We did decide to take the voyage and are very much looking forward to it as it grows near. We’ll be spending a week in Tokyo area before and another 10 days in Alaska after the cruise. It’ll be here before we know it.

Oh and for the seas.....it’s just not way to know what they’ll be like so I’m not planning to worry about it. We’ve done 4 transatlantic and a pacific crossings and have enjoyed them all.

Chris