Is Carnival Gay Friendly

My only experience with Carnival was business related so I have no idea what to expect. All the other ships I have been on have certainly not felt homophobic and I have had a great time. Only 1 held an FOD party, but for the most part I have always felt part of the cruise. I would be interested to hear what people's experiences on Carnival have been.

Joey821

PSM821@aol.com

MS Scandanavia 1983

Carnival Victory 2000

Nordic Empress 2000

Monarch of the Seas 2001

Explorer of the Seas 2002

Millennium 2003

Norwegian Star 2004

Carnival Miracle 2004

When are you going on the Miracle Joey? We have several groups going on the Feb. 13th sailing and our group is definately gay friendly! We'd love to have you join us.

Kristi - Atom.gif

hounds3.gif

Miracle.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."

Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

I've sailed on Carnival 9 or 10 times, and all the other cruise lines as well. I've never had a problem, not even a minor one. Carnival is just as gay friendly as the next line, although they don't always seem to have as many gay passengers as say Celebrity or Cunard, which I think attract the majority with Princess in third.

Ernie

Thanks everybody going this Saturday but I sure appreciate your kindness in including me in February. Hope you have a great cruise and I will report back on my mine in a couple of weeks.

Joey821

PSM821@aol.com

MS Scandanavia 1983

Carnival Victory 2000

Nordic Empress 2000

Monarch of the Seas 2001

Explorer of the Seas 2002

Millennium 2003

Norwegian Star 2004

Carnival Miracle 2004

• 3 weeks later...

We travelled on the Carnival Pride in March after we got married in Portland. The cruise director told gay jokes every night until I finally confronted him and told him he was being offensive (which is completely out of character for me). He denied everything and told me nobody had every complained before. We will never travel on Carnival again.

Although my Carnival sailing was many, many years ago on the old broken down Holiday, it did not endear either my ex or myself to the line and we never sailed it again. It definitely had a straight-bar, meat market feel about it.

I always jokingly question why straight people go to gay bars...I never go to theirs. That's sort of how I felt on that Carnival ship - uncomfortable. There was no indication of gay friendliness anywhere on board.

As I say, this was many years ago, and the line has changed since then...but that's my experience.

Well, I can only relate my experience.

My huzband and I travelled on Carnival just once, Holiday on a 3 day cruise out of Los Angeles. (We got a great deal on the airfare because of a two hour seat sale by Delta and American - U$99 return from Montreal!)

We didn't have a problem, other than with our table mates. Carnival put us at a table with six other very rowdy women and one couple. The couple never came back to the table, other than the first day. And one of the women, was drunk on the last night and hit me.

We've never been back on Carnival since then. But then again, we aren't party animals. We've been together for 15 years and well, we've become domesticated.

We've been on quite a few Carnival Cruises....both alone or with family and friends. We've always had a great time.

We dance together in the disco, etc..........

Of course you have to use common sense, I would not make out in the middle of the dance floor either.

We usually meet a few other's onboard (GayDar)

I have sailed many times on Carnival and have always had a blast.

I tend to meet more married "playfull" men on Carnival then on other cruise line. I also tend to be approached alot on the ships by people whlo ask if I am in the Military or am a State Tropper.

I am very straight acting and usually those men who ask about my workout routine in the gym or comment about my build end up asking where I hang out at night with my friends and join in on the fun.

Even if nothing happens for me on a cruise, iots still the best vacation to take.

This thread interests me. My partner and I have booked a cruise on the Triumph in February since his sister and her husband are going. (We are going to show up and surprise them!) (Oh, dont worry they have been begging us for months to go - we keep saying "no")

Not that I am worried or really care what others think... I would be interested to hear if there are any specific incidents with crew or other passengers.

I have a gay co-worker that swears by Carnival and refuses to try any other line.... Hmmmm.

~Intrepid

Carnival attracts a very mainstream, middle America crowd... not that there's anything wrong with that... but definitely a more "traditional values" crowd and I think more opportunity for potential unpleasantness. But on one of the megaships doing a 7 day or more itinerary, you are going to get a more diverse crowd these days.

But I would absolutely avoid any 3 or 4 day party cruise on any ship, as the Monarch incident from last year indicated.

Like the previous poster, I'm very str8 acting, looking, etc (ex pro athlete). Hard to take a chance on a cruise. Normally I travel with family or friends, but am taking the Carnival Conquest this August on my own. I'm not sure how it will work out. Sure would love to find a great guy .. but have no clue how or where to look. Was hoping someone else online was going but it doesnt look good. I've been on over 40 cruises and cant really say I've seen any gay friendly programs. Maybe it will be different in the future. I'm sure they want out spending money.

My girlfriend and I took a Carnival cruise on the Sensation several months ago. We found it to be very gay-unfriendly. We are both very straight-looking, lipstick lesbians. The first thing we did when boarding the ship was to go to the dining room and request a table for two or to be seated with another gay couple. The dining room attendant snickered and acted as though he didn't speak English. He ended up seating us with a table of 8 retired ladies from Florida, vacationing without their husbands, which ended up being okay. On another occasion I asked the Cruise Director if there were any FOD cocktail parties or meetings and he said he didn't know what I was talking about. This was my second Carnival cruise and I've come to the decision that you get what you pay for. Our cruise was inexpensive and full of foul mouthed breeders. We are spending quite a bit more to cruise in November on Celebrity and I sure hope we have better luck.

Hey,

We went on the Conquest last Feb - met lots of gay couples and singles...

It was a great time - the Disco is a great hang out to meet others as well as some of the crew members too!

We highly recommed you going - its a blast!

E & B

My first Cruise Director was a bit questionable, but my husband and I have never had a problem on Carnival. In fact, somehow or another have always ended up with gay cabin stewards. Have had no problems with our dinner companions at any point. We'll stay with Carnival. We've never had a problem, and we like the line. Plus, since it isn't quite as expensive, we can do 2 cruises a year.

Furry

On our first two cruises, we had to have the two beds put together as one, which you call your Cabin Steward for. He knocks, opens the door, two long haired, beard men are asking for a single bed together. He asks, we reply, and we all visit.

On the last cruise, where we had the suite, we didn't have the need to put the bed together thing, but we saw our cabin steward and assistant quite regularly, and again we visited with them. And I'd gotten a string of little teddy bears in a rainbow of colors at Pride parade the weekend before (this last cruise was our first anniversary of getting legally married in Toronto) and wore it outside my shirt on the cruise... ended up getting stopped and visited with by various members of the cruise staff.

Furry

I've had good luck requesting FOD parties on Celebrity, but otherwise have good gaydar and have met folks on every cruise I've been on. Sailing on the Mercury next month in Alaska with friends, my mom, etc., and I think the CD will be Julian Bertsch, who I've met before. He was truly one of the best/most responsive straight CDs I've met about schedule a FOD party. Even called and sent a personal note hoping he got it right...forever earned my respect by doing that.

Jeff

I have sailed Carnival with my partner of 20 years many times, and have never encountered a problem with any fellow pax, or crew on board. In fact we have had some of the most fun hanging out with crew that work on the ships....many of the entertainment staff as well as gift shop staff are "family". I was on a repositioning cruise from Hawaii and the Cruise DIrector was gay as well, in fact he and his partner (one of the dancers) were transferring to another ship in the fleet. And to answer the question "Is Carnival a gay friendly company", I would have to say yes, because the Cruise Director was telling us that he requested to have his BF moved with him to the other ship so that they could stay together and the request was granted.

Just my two cents on te subject...

We have only sailed on CCL once about three years ago. The staff was was very accomodating but one of the comedians did a lot of anti-gay jokes that were really out of line. I wrote a letter when we got home but never got a response. In the future, although I would sail them again, it would have to be at a great price and something I really wanted to go on.

Our last cruise on Celebrity was truly awesome. Our butler caught on to us immediately as we did to him. He came to the cabin frequently just to sit and visit. He was a good friend of our cabin stewardess who was an older lady who had a gay son the same age as our butler. Both of them were tremendous. As Jeff said earlier, although Julian the CD was straight, he was very willing to schedule an FOD party and called us twice to make sure everyone was happy.

We are on NCL in October and wanted to ask what people's experience has been on this cruise line? Haven't heard too much about Norwegian.

Nevre sailed Carnival and probably will never only because there itineraies are not much interest to us.(although I am a Carnival Shareholder and hope you all do:))...have sailed always on Princess for the apst 4 years and they are very gay friendly......:cool: :eek: :cool: