Heading back to St Maarten...what's next for us? Suggestions needed.

mitsugirly

Thanks so much for the update and explaining the difference at Simpson Bay. So Karakter should be where we go versus any other places there on the beach?

Ā 

So more info on Karakter please (do you say this like Character?)

Ā 

Chair/umbrella rental there? Price?

Ā 

Any food prices and what they serve?

Ā 

How long does it take to get there from the cruise port?

Ā 

Ā 

Price for cab to get there?

Ā 

Ā 

Also, have you heard anything about the TikiHut off Divi? Is it still there? Did they manage to get it out of the water and save it prior to the hurricane? I have thought about doing it in the past. Maybe now would be the right time to do this since a lot of the island is destroyed?

Ā 

Thanks for your help Karysa.

Ā 

Ā 

This Simpson Bay /Simpson Bay beach thing gets even more complicated. There are 2 beach bars that we visit on this beach. Karakter and Lā€™Zafiro and you can not access one to the other unless you walk the beach.

Ā 

Karakter is accessed before the runway fence starts as you are leaving Simpson Bay and heading to Maho.

Ā 

Lā€™Zafiro (something like that) is accessed by going past Maho Beach and following the signs to it or Beachside villas.

Ā 

You see the road that Karakter is on finished there.

Ā 

Cost wise I am guessing itā€™s between the cost of Kim Sha beach and Maho for Karakter and the cost of Mullet (due to distance not direction) for the other.

Ā 

It has been wavier at the Lā€™Zafiro end on this visit and i have seen really severe seaweed issues at this end of the beach in the past.

Ā 

No snorkeling at either really. Chairs are free with beverage/food purchase as of now.

Ā 

Regarding the Tiki hut. No word on that. I have snorkeled that area 10 years ago and I think the same wrecks were there. The snorkeling was meh!

Edited by Karysa

So Karysa can you recommend a decent spot to enjoy a beach with some decent snorkeling post Irma? It has been more than a dozen years since we have visited the island.

Ā 

Sorry I have no idea how the snorkeling is post Irma and Maria.

Ā 

Of the beaches that people are visiting from cruises now my best guess would be Mullet and I would try down at the farthest end of the beach, nearest the condos.

St. Maarten is coming back from Hurricane Irma. You can find a lot of information on a Facebook site- ā€˜Everything St. Maartenā€ as well as corresponding web site.

Karakter is the beach cruisers are being directed to instead of Orient.

Hope you enjoy the beautiful island.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St. Maarten is coming back from Hurricane Irma. You can find a lot of information on a Facebook site- ā€˜Everything St. Maartenā€ as well as corresponding web site.

Karakter is the beach cruisers are being directed to instead of Orient.

Hope you enjoy the beautiful island.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ā 

Karakter is a beach bar/restaurant on Simpson Bay Beach.

Ā 

Who is directing cruisers to Karakter? Is Karakter sponsor of that website?

Ā 

The cruise lines seem to be replacing Orient with Kim Sha beach for now.

Has anyone been to Divi beach post hurricane? Do we know how it made out?

Ā 

The resort is still closed. I did here that the resort next door called Belair is set to open some rooms in March.

Ā 

I donā€™t know how the beach faired or if the water sports company is still operational.

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

Cost wise I am guessing itā€™s between the cost of Kim Sha beach and Maho for Karakter and the cost of Mullet (due to distance not direction) for the other.

Ā 

Ā 

Can you explain this a little more...I'm not following...as in a price $$. Are you saying it will cost whatever it cost to get to Maho PLUS the cost from Maho to Kim Sha? Or?? I don't get it (or know what the current cost to any of those are). :D

The Tiki Hut in Little Bay was destroyed. They hope to have the Sea Trek platform and operation running in January (not sure of status as of right now). I think they still are in planning process for new Tiki Hut platform and operation. They have a Facebook page - just google Tiki Hut Snorkel Park and it should come up.

The Tiki Hut in Little Bay was destroyed. They hope to have the Sea Trek platform and operation running in January (not sure of status as of right now). I think they still are in planning process for new Tiki Hut platform and operation. They have a Facebook page - just google Tiki Hut Snorkel Park and it should come up.

Ā 

Ā 

Oh really? I would "think" that it didn't survive, unless they were somehow able to get it up and out of the water and to safety, but when I look on the cruise website, it has excursions going to the tiki hut so made me wonder if it's still there. I wonder how they are offering it if it don't exist anymore?

Posted on December 27, 2017 at 10:18pm Ā·

Helloooo all our loyal and wonderful customers!!! Just a quick update- sorry for the delay. A little crazy here. Irma destroyed both tours, but left sea trek platform floating. Took everything off it but at least we had something to build on. We are almost finished with sea trek and next we will rebuild Tiki Hut. We will be back!! Thank you for all the kind messages and support. Prayers are much needed. Seems a long road that doesn't turn, but we will get there!!!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sea Trek will be operating by February if not already, as I understand it. I do not think the Tiki Hut would be operating as soon, but don't know. When is your cruise? Maybe they are promising cruise line to be operational at Tiki Hut by time of your cruise.

Posted on December 27, 2017 at 10:18pm Ā·

Helloooo all our loyal and wonderful customers!!! Just a quick update- sorry for the delay. A little crazy here. Irma destroyed both tours, but left sea trek platform floating. Took everything off it but at least we had something to build on. We are almost finished with sea trek and next we will rebuild Tiki Hut. We will be back!! Thank you for all the kind messages and support. Prayers are much needed. Seems a long road that doesn't turn, but we will get there!!!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sea Trek will be operating by February if not already, as I understand it. I do not think the Tiki Hut would be operating as soon, but don't know. When is your cruise? Maybe they are promising cruise line to be operational at Tiki Hut by time of your cruise.

Ā 

Ā 

Hmm, that's weird that RC would be offering the Tiki Hut when it's destroyed. I did look at the fb page and then pictures of the Tiki Hut destroyed.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Maybe they are just leaving it on there for future...This will be my first RC cruise since the 90s (usually cruise with NCL and Carnival), and I'm unfamiliar how to work their page. Maybe it's just showing excursions, but not necessarily for my cruise (although I am logged in). I'll have to play with it a little more. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because obviously it's not ready yet. We will be there the first week of April.

Ā 

RC's excursion page:

Ā 

Ā 

Tiki Hut Relax and Snorkel - SMQ9

s.gif

Activity Type: Active Adventures | Verified Sustainable Experiences

s.gif

Approximate Duration: 3 hour(s)

s.gif

Prices starting from:

*74.00 USD (Adult)

*54.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

s.gif

Ready to reserve this excursion?

Can you explain this a little more...I'm not following...as in a price $$. Are you saying it will cost whatever it cost to get to Maho PLUS the cost from Maho to Kim Sha? Or?? I don't get it (or know what the current cost to any of those are). :D

Ā 

I donā€™t take taxis. We rent a car.

Ā 

Maho is farthest.

Kim Sha closest and Simpson Bay in the middle.

Ā 

If it cost 11 for Maho

Then 10 seems reasonable for Karakter at Simpson Bay and 9 for Kim Sha

Ā 

That would be pp per way and I may be off a dollar or two each way but really whatā€™s a buck or two.

I donā€™t take taxis. We rent a car.

Ā 

Maho is farthest.

Kim Sha closest and Simpson Bay in the middle.

Ā 

If it cost 11 for Maho

Then 10 seems reasonable for Karakter at Simpson Bay and 9 for Kim Sha

Ā 

That would be pp per way and I may be off a dollar or two each way but really whatā€™s a buck or two.

Ā 

Ā 

Awesome! Thanks for that explanation. :)

Hmm, that's weird that RC would be offering the Tiki Hut when it's destroyed. I did look at the fb page and then pictures of the Tiki Hut destroyed.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Maybe they are just leaving it on there for future...This will be my first RC cruise since the 90s (usually cruise with NCL and Carnival), and I'm unfamiliar how to work their page. Maybe it's just showing excursions, but not necessarily for my cruise (although I am logged in). I'll have to play with it a little more. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because obviously it's not ready yet. We will be there the first week of April.

Ā 

RC's excursion page:

Ā 

Ā 

Tiki Hut Relax and Snorkel - SMQ9

s.gif

Activity Type: Active Adventures | Verified Sustainable Experiences

s.gif

Approximate Duration: 3 hour(s)

s.gif

Prices starting from:

*74.00 USD (Adult)

*54.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

s.gif

Ready to reserve this excursion?

Ā 

Is it all inclusive? Otherwise it seems really expensive for what it is to me at least.

If just beaching it for the day - any idea of cost for chair/ at Karakter?

We've always gone to Mullet, but it's a pain to get a reliable ride back

Edited by Wetmib
forgot to add something

If just beaching it for the day - any idea of cost for chair/ at Karakter?

We've always gone to Mullet, but it's a pain to get a reliable ride back

Ā 

I was contemplating either spending the morning at Mullet (maybe walkinfgo Maho) or Karakter, but Iā€™m worried about exactly what you said, the reliable ride back. In your opinion, is Karakter easier for that?

I was contemplating either spending the morning at Mullet (maybe walkinfgo Maho) or Karakter, but Iā€™m worried about exactly what you said, the reliable ride back. In your opinion, is Karakter easier for that?

Ā 

It might be a pain to get a reliable ride back from the parking lot of Mullet Bay (although we saw both buses and taxis when we were there), but if you are walking to Maho you will have no issues at all. There were plenty of taxis and buses looking to take people back. We stepped off the beach and were on a bus in less than 15 seconds. I can't speak for Karakter, but I can't imagine anything being easier than catching a taxi or bus at Maho.

So this is a little off topic, but since you seem to be discussing which beach to head to I thought I'd ask here. I'm considering going to Friar's Bay on our February/March cruise. I was considering going to the Karakter area, but I read about some water contamination issues at Kim Sha which made me wonder about that area as well since it's fairly close to Kim Sha. My question is about how difficult it might be to get a taxi back from Friar's Bay. I know I could make arrangements with a driver, but I always like to have a back up plan just in case. Are there generally taxis there?

Ā 

Thanks!

Ā 

Cindy

So this is a little off topic, but since you seem to be discussing which beach to head to I thought I'd ask here. I'm considering going to Friar's Bay on our February/March cruise. I was considering going to the Karakter area, but I read about some water contamination issues at Kim Sha which made me wonder about that area as well since it's fairly close to Kim Sha. My question is about how difficult it might be to get a taxi back from Friar's Bay. I know I could make arrangements with a driver, but I always like to have a back up plan just in case. Are there generally taxis there?

Ā 

Thanks!

Ā 

Cindy

Ā 

Actually Hasnt it been Friars along with Grand Case beach that has had issues with water pollution.

Ā 

I have heard about possible issues at Kim Sha but neverever heard about this being an issue at Simpson Bay beach. If there was a straight line from Kim Sha to Karakter wouldn't it take about 30 minutes to walk it?

Actually Hasnt it been Friars along with Grand Case beach that has had issues with water pollution.

Ā 

I have heard about possible issues at Kim Sha but neverever heard about this being an issue at Simpson Bay beach. If there was a straight line from Kim Sha to Karakter wouldn't it take about 30 minutes to walk it?

Ā 

Oh bummer! I hadn't heard about the issues at Friar's Bay but I definitely saw a video showing the issue at Kim Sha. I have no idea how far it is to Kim Sha but isn't it in the same Bay as Karakter? I looks close on the map. Ha!

Ā 

I have to say that all these rumors and videos about water pollution have me a bit concerned about a beach day.

Ā 

Cindy

Oh bummer! I hadn't heard about the issues at Friar's Bay but I definitely saw a video showing the issue at Kim Sha. I have no idea how far it is to Kim Sha but isn't it in the same Bay as Karakter? I looks close on the map. Ha!

Ā 

I have to say that all these rumors and videos about water pollution have me a bit concerned about a beach day.

Ā 

Cindy

Ā 

I answered that in the post you quoted. šŸ˜Š I think it would be about a 30 minute straight walk from Kim Sha beach to Karakter beach bar on Simpson Bay beach. It's really confusing because the Simpson Bay Area starts before Kim Sha and ends up at the start of the Beacon Hill area I think and ya that is a large area. It probably takes 4-5 minutes (with low traffic) to drive the main road through the Simpson Bay Area.

Ā 

I was in St Martin very recently and agree. The Tiki hut platform is gone. I cannot say what is happening with the underwater things they had there, but I did spot a catamaran around that area with people snorkelling......private tour perhaps?

Little bay beach was deserted. Construction everywhere. Great bay seemed to be thriving. Front street is nowhere near what it was prior to the hurricane. Many stores are closed, under construction, relocated, boarded up. Things seemed slow, but hopefully everything will be restored. Lot of security.