Cunard let me down.

bernyp

It is apparent that many regular Cunard cruisers think themselves as special and think Cunard will treat them as such. Don’t be fooled. Cunard want your custom and money, and that’s it. You won’t get refunds or special treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They CAN be very reasonable and obliging about having to cancel - even after final payment has been made - in exceptional circumstances.

I experienced exceptional understanding myself, when my grand daughter was born two years ago, but 13 weeks early. And loyalty was quoted then, as one of the reasons they felt inclined to help when our Insurance Co wanted to "wait and see"

They CAN be very reasonable and obliging about having to cancel - even after final payment has been made - in exceptional circumstances.

I experienced exceptional understanding myself, when my grand daughter was born two years ago, but 13 weeks early. And loyalty was quoted then, as one of the reasons they felt inclined to help when our Insurance Co wanted to "wait and see"

When somebody does get a concession of some kind - nights credited, credit toward a new booking, etc, - it begs to ask how is it decided. Who does Cunard decide to "be nice" to and who is held to the T&C? Loyalty level? Days between cancellation and sailing? The mood of the supervisor at any given time? The ability to tell a heart wrenching story? If I'm the OP and reading your response I'd be asking how is it that you got "exceptional understanding" but I was told "sorry".

This is why we are advised to get insurance, I would think your insurance company, would have loved you to have been fit enough to go to the land of OZ. ;p

It’s a bit more than advised I think. Cunard need an insurance number as part of the booking process. Whether you can make up the number though, I don’t know.

Dvid.

It’s a bit more than advised I think. Cunard need an insurance number as part of the booking process. Whether you can make up the number though, I don’t know.

Dvid.

I believe the insurance requirement is a UK thing. The US booking process does not ask for an insurance number.

For the record, from the UK booking conditions document:

It is a condition of the Contract that every Passenger must have full and valid medical insurance which includes cover for pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries that the Passenger is due to visit and which must remain in force for the entire duration of the Package. The insurance policy must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million and must include cover for the cost of emergency evacuations from the ship, including but not limited to, evacuations by helicopter.

On the other hand, from the US passage contract document:

Carrier recommends that You obtain Your own insurance and/or travel protection against loss or damage to baggage and personal effects, trip cancellation and emergency evacuations, accidental death or injury, illness and medical expenses sustained or incurred in connection with Your Voyage.

Regards,

John

Dvid.

You can just type any old random numbers in. If not, they would have to check that the number you gave them was a valid policy number, which would be almost impossible to do.

Plus, I tried it once just to see what happened when I entered random numbers; it just accepts it.

You can just type any old random numbers in. If not, they would have to check that the number you gave them was a valid policy number, which would be almost impossible to do.

Plus, I tried it once just to see what happened when I entered random numbers; it just accepts it.

Just out of curiosity then, I take it that UK passengers are not asked to show proof of medical insurance during the voyage check-in process. Is that correct? As a US passenger, I have never been asked about insurance during check-in, but I wondered if the process might be a little different for UK passengers since the UK booking conditions do specifically require medical insurance cover.

Just out of curiosity then, I take it that UK passengers are not asked to show proof of medical insurance during the voyage check-in process. Is that correct? As a US passenger, I have never been asked about insurance during check-in, but I wondered if the process might be a little different for UK passengers since the UK booking conditions do specifically require medical insurance cover.
Hi bluemarble,

I've never been asked to prove I've insurance during the check-in process.

Best wishes :)

Hi bluemarble,

I've never been asked to prove I've insurance during the check-in process.

Best wishes :)

Thanks, pepperrn.

I could see how it would slow down the check-in process considerably if they did have to verify insurance coverage for UK passengers. Plus, I haven't read any stories here about passengers being denied boarding for not having proof of insurance, so that in itself should have been a pretty good clue that they don't verify coverage beyond making sure you have entered insurance details online in order to issue your e-tickets.

All the best,

John

When somebody does get a concession of some kind - nights credited, credit toward a new booking, etc, - it begs to ask how is it decided. Who does Cunard decide to "be nice" to and who is held to the T&C? Loyalty level? Days between cancellation and sailing? The mood of the supervisor at any given time? The ability to tell a heart wrenching story? If I'm the OP and reading your response I'd be asking how is it that you got "exceptional understanding" but I was told "sorry".

Our situation arose about two months before travel. Our Insurance Co said they would only make a decision a week before travel " in case the baby died" Far too late to expect Cunard to help then. But unthinkable that we could go on holiday while she was in Neonatal Intensive Care.

I approached Cunard and asked if they would consider letting us transfer to a similar cruise at a later date, given they had the two months notice. They went away, discussed it with some higher being with more authority and agreed, quoting our loyalty to the Company.

It was more than I had expected but all I had hoped for. Fortunately, the baby was fine - she is now two - and we travelled six months later. I shall always be grateful to Cunard for their understanding.

I would think £5k each and 60 days would cover the vast majority of cruises undertaken by your average cruise customer.

Quite possibly, but the average cruise passenger probably doesn't have a life limiting, potentially terminal illness. It rather changes your outlook as we have found. We want to travel whilst we still can and 14 days to the Med has been replaced with a desire to see parts of the world which we have never visited. Those cruises tend to be 30 plus days.

Edited by Bedruthen