Bon Voyage Dawn Princess World Cruise 2014

They now have more sea days as they cross the top of the Indian Ocean to Colombo , Sri Lanka.

Sea days are always nice and relaxing for us, a sleep in and leisurely brunch and then an afternoon of whatever takes our fancy.:D

They have just arrived in Colombo. 2 more sea days after today and then Mumbai. Anyone who has booked the India Overland Tour will leave the ship today and fly north to visit New Delhi, Agra, Taj Mahal and maybe Jaipur , then rejoin at Mumbai.

They have just arrived in Colombo. 2 more sea days after today and then Mumbai. Anyone who has booked the India Overland Tour will leave the ship today and fly north to visit New Delhi, Agra, Taj Mahal and maybe Jaipur , then rejoin at Mumbai.

I wouldn't mind doing that one time, I think it would be a great way of seeing the parts of India that I want to see.:D

An update on cruisingprincess's blog

gives us a bit more info

on why Yangoon had to be cancelled.

http://cruisinprincess2.aussieblogs.com.au/

The question of why we had Myanmar cancelled and these ports included has been raised

and my understanding is it’s because of the condition of the river.

It has silted up to a point that it would not be deep enough for us.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

They have arrived in Dubai for an overnight. The leave at 1pm tomorrow (local time). Perhaps they could have a sunset dinner in the desert?:)

The webcam is not the best. It is looking very grainy .

Perhaps a sand storm.:D

I wouldn't mind doing that one time, I think it would be a great way of seeing the parts of India that I want to see.:D

An even better way is by train ;)

We did the Maharajah's Express in March - Delhi, Jaipur, Ranthambore, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra (Taj Mahal), Gwalior, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Lucknow and back to Delhi. Exhausting but awesome.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

An even better way is by train ;)

We did the Maharajah's Express in March - Delhi, Jaipur, Ranthambore, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra (Taj Mahal), Gwalior, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Lucknow and back to Delhi. Exhausting but awesome.

Sounds very interesting.:D

They have arrived in Dubai for an overnight. The leave at 1pm tomorrow (local time). Perhaps they could have a sunset dinner in the desert?:)

The webcam is not the best. It is looking very grainy .

We sailed into Dubai last month and it was very, very hazy and it looks like the conditions are pretty much the same. Not sure what the reasons were but due to the amount of cars on the road and the number of planes taking off (there seemed to be a plane taking off every nanosecond ;) as we were docking) we initially thought of pollution. Add in a bit of heat haze as it was close to 40C and some sand as well and bingo - poor visibility. We didn't notice it once ashore and the visibility from the 120th floor of the Burj Khalifa was quite good - a bit hazy but not as bad as around the port area.

We sailed into Dubai last month and it was very, very hazy and it looks like the conditions are pretty much the same. Not sure what the reasons were but due to the amount of cars on the road and the number of planes taking off (there seemed to be a plane taking off every nanosecond ;) as we were docking) we initially thought of pollution. Add in a bit of heat haze as it was close to 40C and some sand as well and bingo - poor visibility. We didn't notice it once ashore and the visibility from the 120th floor of the Burj Khalifa was quite good - a bit hazy but not as bad as around the port area.

That building is one of the only reasons why I want to visit there one day.:D

I read one one of the blogs from the ship, Dawn Princess is on Code Red because of a significant gastro issue. Such is life on the high seas these days. I hope it gets cleared up ASAP, a lot of elderly folk on that WC.

Edited by NSWP

I read one one of the blogs from the ship, Dawn Princess is on Code Red because of a significant gastro issue. Such is life on the high seas these days. I hope it gets cleared up ASAP, a lot of elderly folk on that WC.

I hope they recover soon and get control over the issue, gastro is not pleasant at any time let alone while on a cruise.

I had to laugh when I first read that they were on the same WC (that would be messy.:eek:)

Edited by MicCanberra

I hope they recover soon and get control over the issue, gastro is not pleasant at any time let alone while on a cruise.

I had to laugh when I first read that they were on the same WC (that would be messy.:eek:)

Well Mic, if there was a big outbreak there could be a shortage of WC's. We always try to avoid the public conveniences on the ships, do a runner for the cabin, reduce the chance of the noro, although I got it twice recently on Golden Princess and Arcadia.

Well Mic, if there was a big outbreak there could be a shortage of WC's. We always try to avoid the public conveniences on the ships, do a runner for the cabin, reduce the chance of the noro, although I got it twice recently on Golden Princess and Arcadia.

Yes, I avoid touching things that others may have touched, practice over the top hygiene (hand sanitise regularly just in case) on top of the regular hand washing and normal hygine habits at home. I also try not to use the public facilities. I haven't had it yet so all is going well.:D

At the moment they are about half way between Dubai and Safaga, Egypt,...in the middle of pirate alley...

15_zps7870819f.jpg

I hope they don't get hassled, although they would have an interesting story to tell the family:rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

We were on the Dawn Princess on its WC in 2010 when it had mechanical issues forcing it to slow down through pirate alley causing us to miss Safaga. This was after pirate drill.

We didn't feel threatened however as we were assured warships were nearby. We saw the irony of it but missing Safaga and the Valley of the Kings was a disappointment. Princess did offer compensation and the problem was rectified at Port Said. Such is life. Barry :)

We were on the Dawn Princess on its WC in 2010 when it had mechanical issues forcing it to slow down through pirate alley causing us to miss Safaga. This was after pirate drill.

We didn't feel threatened however as we were assured warships were nearby. We saw the irony of it but missing Safaga and the Valley of the Kings was a disappointment. Princess did offer compensation and the problem was rectified at Port Said. Such is life. Barry :)

A shame you missed the the port.

How different was the pirate drill from the normal muster?

A shame you missed the the port.

How different was the pirate drill from the normal muster?

We had one on Ocean Princess a couple of months ago. It was conducted after we left Dubai and had to sail south as we headed for the Seychelles.

As far as I recall, we just had to go to our cabins, close the curtains and sit well away from any windows. The cabin steward then had to come around and check everyone was accounted for. As far as I remember, that's all the passengers had to do.

The crew had more intensive drills though and there were 24 hour watches on the open decks for example until we cleared the area roughly 2 weeks later, give or take a few days. (Memory is getting hazy ;))

We had one on Ocean Princess a couple of months ago. It was conducted after we left Dubai and had to sail south as we headed for the Seychelles.

As far as I recall, we just had to go to our cabins, close the curtains and sit well away from any windows. The cabin steward then had to come around and check everyone was accounted for. As far as I remember, that's all the passengers had to do.

The crew had more intensive drills though and there were 24 hour watches on the open decks for example until we cleared the area roughly 2 weeks later, give or take a few days. (Memory is getting hazy ;))

Sounds really easy for the guests but a lot more dificult for the crew.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

As far as I recall, we just had to go to our cabins, close the curtains and sit well away from any windows. The cabin steward then had to come around and check everyone was accounted for. As far as I remember, that's all the passengers had to do. QUOTE.

On Serenade of the Seas last year, all of the above, deck closed 6pm to 6am, all curtains closed during above times. If Captain announced 'Safe Haven', and we were out of our stateroom, we were to move away from the windows and walk towards centre of ship.

A day out of Dubai an incident occurred, we followed these instructions and staff ushered us into an internal service area where we stayed for about 35 minutes until the Captain gave the all clear. Afterwards we sighted a helicopter and fixed wing plane overhead and a warship tailing us. All of this because small vessels came too close to the ship and initially refused to retreat. Felt safe at all times . Captain kept us informed while we were in the service area. It was said the 6 armed staff that patrolling the stern daily during the Dubai to Barcelona cruise were navy seals.

Something to talk about when we arrived home

Sounds really easy for the guests but a lot more dificult for the crew.:D

Yes, I always feel for the crew when they have extra work. Already in my eyes they are seriously overworked & grossly underpaid.

BTW Mic, I've left you a message on the Voyager Roll Call that you might be interested in.

Gae