coffee card ?

smeck

I usually bring the new current coffee card with me a few times until they get to know me & after a few days most of the crew gets to know me and I no longer need to carry it.

We have usually had the same experience. But on our most recent Regal Cruise (the end of October) the staff did flip over the card every time....even though they even knew our name. I am guessing that a supervisor had laid down the law :). On another Princess cruise we only had one coffee card (for DW and me) and one day we tried to order a regular coffee and some tea. The server said they could only give us one....because we had one card. DW happened to have her purse where she had a few tea bags (normal for her)....so she pulled out a tea bag (taken from the Lido) and asked the server for some "free hot water." It was a funny moment. Part of cruising is to simply learn how to roll with the waves ;p

Hank

I plan on bringing a partially used coffee card on my next Regal cruise in two weeks. It is not dated on the back, but does say Regal. I expect to be able to get my lattes with it, but will probably not get free from punches brewed coffee. We will see. I can always buy a new card and use that for free brewed, saving card for next princess cruise lattes, repeat...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I plan on bringing a partially used coffee card on my next Regal cruise in two weeks. It is not dated on the back, but does say Regal. I expect to be able to get my lattes with it, but will probably not get free from punches brewed coffee. We will see. I can always buy a new card and use that for free brewed, saving card for next princess cruise lattes, repeat...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it's one of the latest cards with the green stripe at the top they might not look twice.

The worst they would do is write the current voyage on it & still give you all the free brewed coffee, tea & hot chocolate for that trip.

This will be our second time on Princess. From what I’m reading here, does Princess charge for regular coffee? I thought the coffee is complimentary and available anytime.

There is free regular coffee available on all the ships.

The regular coffee on the older ships is made from a liquid additive & not good.

The regular coffee on the newer Royal and Regal is all dripped no matter where you get it. (IC or Horizon) and isn't to bad.

The coffee card gets you 15 Specialty coffee's which most people prefer over the regular.

• 3 months later...

I have never sailed Princess and would like more info on the coffee card. As I understand it, you get a card with 15 places to punch - are some of the places designated for specialty coffees like lattes and are others designated for brewed coffee? Can two people share one card? I read that it is good in the MDR and the IC. What is the IC? Are there other places it can be used? Does the purchase price include the gratuity? Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

I have never sailed Princess and would like more info on the coffee card. As I understand it, you get a card with 15 places to punch - are some of the places designated for specialty coffees like lattes and are others designated for brewed coffee? Can two people share one card? I read that it is good in the MDR and the IC. What is the IC? Are there other places it can be used? Does the purchase price include the gratuity? Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

The 15 punches are for specialty coffees and teas--like the stuff at Starbucks. THese come in two size. If you have a card, the price for either size is "one punch." People can share the punches. You can treat someone in your cabin or a random stranger.

The card is also good for unlimited brewed coffee, tea, and hot chocolate on the voyage where the card was obtained only, and you can only get one cup at a time with this benefit. If you want to get two cups of coffee (or any combination of coffee, tea, and hot chocolate), you can get one "free," and the second one will use a punch. Or you can wait 5 minutes and get the second one. The "unlimited free" concept is supposed to be for one person; that's why the second one uses a punch.

I don't even try. You "may" get away with it but is it really that important to cheat the system?

I am asking (out of ignorance) but if you paid for an older card on a previous cruise, how is that "cheating" the system. What I mean is, you bought the card originally, and you are on a Princess cruise. Sorry, but I don't understand.... ;p

This will be our second time on Princess. From what I’m reading here, does Princess charge for regular coffee? I thought the coffee is complimentary and available anytime.

As I understand it - regular coffee in the dining room or buffet is free. However, as many have stated on this forum - it's somewhat akin to mud.....I don't know, I drink coffee at Breakfast and that's about it.

Does anyone have info about the available teas onboard? Also can anyone direct me to a menu? Sailing in Emerald soon.

On the April 1. Caribbean Princess, they had a combination of Twinnings and Bigelow available in the beverage areas of the buffet. I was fine with that, so I never explored what the stuff was in the International Cafe area. They also had regular and decaf Lipton. It was a pretty reasonable assortment of standard teas (English Breakfast, Earl Grey, etc.) and herbal varieties--mint, lemon, etc. There were about 12 types in all.

The specialty teas were fruit infused ice tea....apple, mango, etc.

As I understand it - regular coffee in the dining room or buffet is free. However, as many have stated on this forum - it's somewhat akin to mud.....I don't know, I drink coffee at Breakfast and that's about it.

I don't drink coffee at all, but DH says it tastes like Taster's Choice to him.

Never got a coffee card before. We will be on for 34-35 days and was wondering how many punches you get (15) and if I can use them for that entire time (yes), actually, it would be just my hubby. He only drinks brewed coffee and not the specialty ones. So, how would that work? I would switch the bar out for 2 cards then, could he use mine too? (Yes. There are no names on the cards) And how much is a single coffee card to buy if I did that instead?

I can never remember the exact price (haven't bought one since we hit Elite), so I looked it up...$35.65. You can look in the Personalizer, click on "on board reservations", "beverage packages".:D

I don't even try. You "may" get away with it but is it really that important to cheat the system?

I am asking (out of ignorance) but if you paid for an older card on a previous cruise, how is that "cheating" the system. What I mean is, you bought the card originally, and you are on a Princess cruise. Sorry, but I don't understand.... ;p

Some people believe that it's not honest to even try to use up a coffee card with an expired date on it.

At the same time Princess has decided to confiscate your money at the end of the year if you haven't finished using the newer cards.

How can that possibly be honest since you've paid for something & not received your merchandise? If the card said it was all the specialty coffee you could drink for that cruise, then yes I could agree.

But to just confiscate the remaining dollars on an unused coffee card seems dishonest to me.

Some people believe that it's not honest to even try to use up a coffee card with an expired date on it.

At the same time Princess has decided to confiscate your money at the end of the year if you haven't finished using the newer cards.

How can that possibly be honest since you've paid for something & not received your merchandise? If the card said it was all the specialty coffee you could drink for that cruise, then yes I could agree.

But to just confiscate the remaining dollars on an unused coffee card seems dishonest to me.

And that's what I was wondering as well....youy have paid for the card. So you don't use it on one cruise - why couldn't you use it on another? I mean, YOU paid for the card, YOU are on the same cruise line. So I couldn't understand how it could be considered "cheating".....

And that's what I was wondering as well....youy have paid for the card. So you don't use it on one cruise - why couldn't you use it on another? I mean, YOU paid for the card, YOU are on the same cruise line. So I couldn't understand how it could be considered "cheating".....

It's actually Princess that's doing the cheating and some people just don't seem to care.

It's actually Princess that's doing the cheating and some people just don't seem to care.

Imagine that you are at a county fair. You buy $35 worth of ride tickets. Not enough time to use it up. So, you go back a day or two later and guess what? They are still good. Same concept here. If you are paying $35 and change for a coffee card and you don't use the punches - it stands to reason that on your next cruise (same cruise line) - 3 months later - that the card would still be valid.

For the life of me, I don't see how that is considered cheating. And you are right, some (I guess the wealthy on this forum) don't mind giving their hard-earned money away. :D

Imagine that you are at a county fair. You buy $35 worth of ride tickets. Not enough time to use it up. So, you go back a day or two later and guess what? They are still good. Same concept here. If you are paying $35 and change for a coffee card and you don't use the punches - it stands to reason that on your next cruise (same cruise line) - 3 months later - that the card would still be valid.

For the life of me, I don't see how that is considered cheating. And you are right, some (I guess the wealthy on this forum) don't mind giving their hard-earned money away. :D

Good analogy.

The only way I see "cheating" is if someone is trying to get the fresh brewed coffee or tea with a card from a previous voyage. The card does state that it is good only on the voyage where purchased for those items.