Current input of cruisers to this port?

nini

Please post about Mullet Bay beach !! We will be there in May 2018 on the Allure. We always walk from Mullet to Maho and have a burger and beer at Guy's. I'm already planning on buying whatever the ladies on the beach are selling so I sure hope that there is a beach !!

Mullet is apparently in great shape. I have had 2 airlines cancel on us for our new year's visit but if the 3 Rd one IS the charm I will report back on Mullet after our trip.

Mullet is apparently in great shape. I have had 2 airlines cancel on us for our new year's visit but if the 3 Rd one IS the charm I will report back on Mullet after our trip.

Thanks Karysa!! You and Gary are the ones who sent me to Mullet Bay 5 years ago. It has become our happy place when cruising and we return often, never tiring of the beauty of the island and graciousness of the people. We will be there in May and also December '18.

As we own a timeshare there we have been following the recovery efforts very closely. The first cruise ship (Viking Cruises) arrived today to much fanfare.

Everyday another restaurant announces they have just opened or about to. Orient Beach was totally wiped out and will not have any establishments open for many months. Karakter Beach (one of our favorites) is a great alternative and they are fully open.

The boardwalk looks to be in very good shape and many stores/restaurants are open.

While the island will not be 100% for some time, it is my opinion that cruisers will have an excellent visit!

As we own a timeshare there we have been following the recovery efforts very closely. The first cruise ship (Viking Cruises) arrived today to much fanfare.

Everyday another restaurant announces they have just opened or about to. Orient Beach was totally wiped out and will not have any establishments open for many months. Karakter Beach (one of our favorites) is a great alternative and they are fully open.

The boardwalk looks to be in very good shape and many stores/restaurants are open.

While the island will not be 100% for some time, it is my opinion that cruisers will have an excellent visit!

I hear that Orient beach itself is being enjoyed by the do it yourself types of visitors. Will it really be months before there are vendors of any type there?

This video of Orient Bay seems to be from November 28th. It still does not look good.

Thank you. That is tough to watch but certainly shows the devastation of the follage and buildings. I have read where folks are going to and enjoying the beach. I wouldn't be able to myself just yet.

Thank you. That is tough to watch but certainly shows the devastation of the follage and buildings. I have read where folks are going to and enjoying the beach. I wouldn't be able to myself just yet.

Totally agree. Surprised that Royal Caribbean actually has shore excursion listed for Orient Beach on their site for Dec sailings.

Totally agree. Surprised that Royal Caribbean actually has shore excursion listed for Orient Beach on their site for Dec sailings.

There may or may not be rest room facilities - but, even if not, there are a number of Caribbean beaches without such amenities which still attract cruisers. I would hope that Royal Caribbean would make status clear.

Bottom line: a beach is a strip sand along the water - even without shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Orient is still a beach.

There may or may not be rest room facilities - but, even if not, there are a number of Caribbean beaches without such amenities which still attract cruisers. I would hope that Royal Caribbean would make status clear.

Bottom line: a beach is a strip sand along the water - even without shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Orient is still a beach.

The only excursions that mention Orient Beach in the excursion section of Independence of the Seas for the Dec 25 port stop are the ATV Adventure and the 4x4 Tour. You basically do your tour inland and then stop at the beach for a break. My guess is those doing the tour are not looking to be pampered on the beach with food, drink, and comfortable loungers.

But, I agree, they should make it clear, and currently it does not say anything about the condition of Orient - only this "Orient Beach: Cool off with a swim in the turquoise waters and relax on the pristine white sands" and this "Enjoy panoramic views of the mountains, then stop at Orient Beach on this on and off-roads tour."

As to Orient Beach, my understanding is new regulations are being proposed before anyone can rebuild. Yes I believe it will be months before restaurants/bars will reappear on the beach. Right behind the beach there is a shopping area near where La Playa was. These is an Italian restaurant that has already reopened so some progress is being made.

As to still going to the beach itself. yes, I agree that if you are fine with sitting on a towel and enjoying the water it is a great beach to visit!

Every week some place on St Maarten reopens. With all the demands on resources it will take time but in my opinion this island is still one of the top to visit!

Your Bottom line: reminds me of the beautiful Orient beach I first visited in 1992.

I loved it. Post Irma is not the same as a beautiful untouched beach. The “brokenness” is heartbreaking to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you are asking let's go cruising?

Several fine dining restaurant have just reopened in Grand Case. Karakter Beach has posted the Christmas menu for Breakfast and Lunch/Dinner and the Blue Bitch Bar has reopened on the boardwalk. I am seeing posts almost every day about another reopening. Now they just need customers!

Not sure what you are asking let's go cruising?

Several fine dining restaurant have just reopened in Grand Case. Karakter Beach has posted the Christmas menu for Breakfast and Lunch/Dinner and the Blue Bitch Bar has reopened on the boardwalk. I am seeing posts almost every day about another reopening. Now they just need customers!

People are also concerned about their safety. It's fine that restaurants and beaches are open but we need to know that the area is safe. Any word on safety in these areas in the last month or so since things are getting back to normal?

Okay, back from Sint Martin on Grandeur, December 17. I scheduled a private tour before the hurricane with OC4 Island based at LeGalion Beach (near Orient Beach). I scheduled to be picked up at the Greenhouse in Phillipsburg. We had the options to do canoe surfing or an eco tour if the weather was too rough. I dealt with Fabien, and I cannot say enough good things about him. Please consider contacting him, but his tours are for more active people.

We arrived early, and, yes, the weather was cloudy and raining off and on. Fabien was a bit surprised, I think, that we were there, given the weather and the fact that we were the first major ship to be there. Since the weather was bad, canoe surfing was out. The eco tour was out as well, because Fabien had been there, and there was too much damage, and the wildlife has not yet returned.

His facilities on LeGalion had been wiped clean, so we went to his house and launched an outrigger canoe to go to Pinel Island. The weather got worse, and we had on again, off again thunderstorms. It was tough paddling to get to Pinel Island. The restaurant on the island and the vendor shops were heavily damaged and not usable. We walked on the island. Some storm damage, and due to the weather, we decided against swimming and snorkeling. Good news, the restaurant will be open before Christmas. OC4's facilities will probably be open in three months time. The delay is due to the shortage of building supplies. We had really bad weather on the way back from Pinel Island.

Yes, there was a lot of damage still, we saw sailboats in houses, but talking to locals, they are confident that eventually it will be better than before, but there will be a rough patch. These are not my words, this is what people told be on both the French and Dutch sides of the island.

Back to the ship to clean up and get back out to Phillipsburg. We missed the ceremony on the ship from the local officials, but we wanted to get back out there. Walked to downtown, but the water taxi was running. Shops and bars on both the boardwalk and Front Street were open, I would say about half. Higher end shops were more aggressive, but generally most shops were not. We did some shopping and storms came and went, some very strong. There were dancers and performers there, but again, the weather was against us. So we walked some more and talked to locals. Again, there were upbeat about the future, but realize it will be tough near time. The shops and bars at the port were mostly up and running, and the ones that were not, were in the process of rebuilding. We did not go to Back Street, but it was because of the weather.

I know some people are worried about safety. We walked back and forth to downtown several times, went to the French side, and did not feel unsafe at any time. Everywhere we went, the people were friendly as they have always been Bottom line, it was a good port visit. Not great, but that had more due to the weather than anything else. Oddly enough, this was the only port that had bad weather.

Hope this helps, and if anyone wants more specific information, maybe I can answer, but we were limited to those two areas.

Regards,

Mike

Okay, back from Sint Martin on Grandeur, December 17. I scheduled a private tour before the hurricane with OC4 Island based at LeGalion Beach (near Orient Beach). I scheduled to be picked up at the Greenhouse in Phillipsburg. We had the options to do canoe surfing or an eco tour if the weather was too rough. I dealt with Fabien, and I cannot say enough good things about him. Please consider contacting him, but his tours are for more active people.

We arrived early, and, yes, the weather was cloudy and raining off and on. Fabien was a bit surprised, I think, that we were there, given the weather and the fact that we were the first major ship to be there. Since the weather was bad, canoe surfing was out. The eco tour was out as well, because Fabien had been there, and there was too much damage, and the wildlife has not yet returned.

His facilities on LeGalion had been wiped clean, so we went to his house and launched an outrigger canoe to go to Pinel Island. The weather got worse, and we had on again, off again thunderstorms. It was tough paddling to get to Pinel Island. The restaurant on the island and the vendor shops were heavily damaged and not usable. We walked on the island. Some storm damage, and due to the weather, we decided against swimming and snorkeling. Good news, the restaurant will be open before Christmas. OC4's facilities will probably be open in three months time. The delay is due to the shortage of building supplies. We had really bad weather on the way back from Pinel Island.

Yes, there was a lot of damage still, we saw sailboats in houses, but talking to locals, they are confident that eventually it will be better than before, but there will be a rough patch. These are not my words, this is what people told be on both the French and Dutch sides of the island.

Back to the ship to clean up and get back out to Phillipsburg. We missed the ceremony on the ship from the local officials, but we wanted to get back out there. Walked to downtown, but the water taxi was running. Shops and bars on both the boardwalk and Front Street were open, I would say about half. Higher end shops were more aggressive, but generally most shops were not. We did some shopping and storms came and went, some very strong. There were dancers and performers there, but again, the weather was against us. So we walked some more and talked to locals. Again, there were upbeat about the future, but realize it will be tough near time. The shops and bars at the port were mostly up and running, and the ones that were not, were in the process of rebuilding. We did not go to Back Street, but it was because of the weather.

I know some people are worried about safety. We walked back and forth to downtown several times, went to the French side, and did not feel unsafe at any time. Everywhere we went, the people were friendly as they have always been Bottom line, it was a good port visit. Not great, but that had more due to the weather than anything else. Oddly enough, this was the only port that had bad weather.

Hope this helps, and if anyone wants more specific information, maybe I can answer, but we were limited to those two areas.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you Mike for the detailed info. Interestingly every time we went to Marigot (early 2-3 weeks in Dec), we had short showers no longer than 10 mins max. No exceptions but sunny before and after the showers and never had bad weather. Hoping to be able to go to Marigot in February.

Karysa, What kind of safety are you wondering about?

Personal saftey such as being robbed mostly. That's the most important thing to me. I can get by with less activities and restaurants open but I want to feel safe in the places where I go.

I have a question about Mullet Beach. From what I read this beach just had a porta potty prior to the hurricanes, do they have this today?

We are trying to figure out what beaches are available that have bathrooms, eating & drinks available. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personal saftey such as being robbed mostly. That's the most important thing to me. I can get by with less activities and restaurants open but I want to feel safe in the places where I go.

I did not walk around Margot, but walked multiple times between the pier and downtown Phillipsburg, and felt safe all the time. The water taxi was running, but we did not use it. We went on the boardwalk, and Front st without any problems. We did not venture further only because the weather was bad. All the people we talked to were as friendly as always, and were interested in repairing and moving on. Shops, bars and restaraunts that were not open were being worked on. Safety was never an issue for us.

Regards,

Mike

Princess is still showing Orient Beach for their beach excursions. I called them today and they said nothing has changed. That it is still Orient Beach. I am worried we will book this, and then find out at the last minute they changed the beach. Bait and Switch. We will be in port towards the end of this month. If they just go to Simpson Bay. I can to that on my own, much cheaper.

Princess is still showing Orient Beach for their beach excursions. I called them today and they said nothing has changed. That it is still Orient Beach. I am worried we will book this, and then find out at the last minute they changed the beach. Bait and Switch. We will be in port towards the end of this month. If they just go to Simpson Bay. I can to that on my own, much cheaper.

I did hear from a very reliable source that in January Le String beach bar will have a temporary facility up and running at Orient.

We will be on the Independence docking in St Maarten on Dec 25. We plan to hit Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. Same offer of any specific questions that Mike made above.

Just returned from our cruise and St Maarten was a great stop. There is a lot of damage from the hurricane evident on the drive to Mullet Bay, but the beach itself is gorgeous and it was our best beach day of the entire cruise.

Maho still has some work to get back to where it was as there are a lot of rocks just outside the Sunset Bar area. But the planes are still landing as close to your head as they always did and it is fun to watch them. There were not nearly as many people when we were there - likely because there were just two ships in port that day. Both restaurants were open (Sunset and Driftwood) and there was no valid reason not to visit. There were a ton of taxis and busses to take you to and from Mullet/Maho.