port charges, taxes and fees

Wenatchee

I’ve seen the fees increase and decrease for the same sailing. I think they have intentions of filling the ship to a certain point and charge everyone accordingly based on their projections. I’v seen them go down at the last minute and figured they probably collected most of the port fees and so charge the last few less but this could also be reversed for a sailing that sold terribly. I’m guessing the fees vary depending on sales and how many in a stateroom.

I’ve also wondered why disney cruises had so much lower fees. I think each company negotiates their fees and some end up with better pricing at various ports with long term commitment...

I’ve never been charged extra for switching to different ports or methods of tenders. I’d read early season complaints about tender process in Edinburgh taking forever and a day but for our sailing later in the season Ncl sprung for a very large charter tender and it got almost half the boat ashore in no time. The cost wasn’t passed on at least to us anyways.

each time I sail the port charges taxes and fees go up and the savings disappear. I understand they can vary greatly and maybe 450 per person is not that high- but how can I be assured these are legitimate and not including commission fees and they are collecting charges that were not levied? for example, what is panama canal charges, and seattle, LA or Miami charges vs acappoco or costa rica?

just remember port charges and taxes are set by the port and not the cruise line. Fees can be a different story. There is no way you will ever really know I guess, so you have to accept what you are charged. This can be the situation with anything in life. We can't go around doubting a company's honesty. BTW when you book through the cruise line no one gets any commission, so why would you add that part to your question. if you book through an agent, indeed they do. Do you doubt the taxes and fees you pay to a hotel? Most likely not.