Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

MVPinBoynton

I think Holland America and Princess just started sailing out of Seattle this week; so hopefully people who are on those ships will chime in if they use the service

I think Holland America and Princess just started sailing out of Seattle this week; so hopefully people who are on those ships will chime in if they use the service

They started last week (or was it the week before that?) Anyway your point is well made because not many have been able to partake of this service to gauge how it is working.

Anyone knows if this covers all airlines. I am flying Spirit Air (I know but it is the best timed nonstop to BWI) and would love to lose the luggage.

The phone number for "Bags Inc" is 407-849-0670.

Ok ....I called them..... it is only available on American, Alaska, Jet Blu, United , Southwest and Delta for flights leaving at 11:00 or later.

Here is the link to sign up online but you can also do it on board ship...https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip

This program will be fully operational by the end of May.

Edited by Tinknock50

Tinknock50, is this the same program? My understanding is this will be a free service just for the Seattle Sea Ports. The link you have lists bag fees. According to the Commission Agenda PDF, it would be available to passengers flying all major airlines, whatever 'major' means. I think last year was a pilot program for Delta flights only.

http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COMMISSION/MEETINGS/2017/2017_04_11_RM_6c.pdf

Tinknock50, is this the same program? My understanding is this will be a free service just for the Seattle Sea Ports. The link you have lists bag fees. According to the Commission Agenda PDF, it would be available to passengers flying all major airlines, whatever 'major' means. I think last year was a pilot program for Delta flights only.

http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COMMISSION/MEETINGS/2017/2017_04_11_RM_6c.pdf

I asked specifically about the free Seattle program. My previous post is exactly what he told me regarding airlines , etc. He read the list to me on the phone.

I see your are right about that link.....you don't want "Bags VIP", that is the one with the charge.. Maybe the free one is somewhere else on the site. If push came to shove, you could just wait until you get onboard.....probably just as effective anyway. It is not like only so many people are allowed to book it.

I asked specifically about the free Seattle program. My previous post is exactly what he told me regarding airlines , etc. He read the list to me on the phone.

I see your are right about that link.....you don't want "Bags VIP", that is the one with the charge.. Maybe the free one is somewhere else on the site. If push came to shove, you could just wait until you get onboard.....probably just as effective anyway. It is not like only so many people are allowed to book it.

Just called again. Apparently the website is not updated yet. Since they said the program will be fully operational by the end of the month, I would wait till then to try to book online.

Personally, I will wait until I am on the ship anyway....just as easy.

Also got confirmation on which airlines will use this. It is the same as my earlier post.

Just called again. Apparently the website is not updated yet. Since they said the program will be fully operational by the end of the month, I would wait till then to try to book online.

Personally, I will wait until I am on the ship anyway....just as easy.

Also got confirmation on which airlines will use this. It is the same as my earlier post.

Thanks for following-up on that, it is much appreciated!! ;)

I noticed on the Port of Seattle website, there is a terse description about the service. I am glad to see the the Concierge information for luggage storage. Bit of a hike back if storing at Pier 91, so using storage at Pier 66 will probably be more convenient. Another CC member said the Edgewater Hotel will store luggage longer term. Haven't had a chance to call them to find out if they are still offering the service this year.

On Board Airline Check-in

Please check with your cruise line for availability of onboard airline check-in and luggage handling that allows guests to check in for their airline flight, print boarding passes and check their luggage; all while still on board their ship.

Concierge

The cruise terminal concierge offers luggage storage after cruises, plus city information. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on cruise days only.

Concierge

The cruise terminal concierge offers luggage storage after cruises, plus city information. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on cruise days only.

I didn't see that about luggage storage before. I agree I would not want to trek back to 91. We can only put one bag out for the pre-check in, so it would be good if the Edgewater would hold them while we trekked up the hill to the Space Needle.

Since I don't leave until July, I will wait to hear from people in June who had success with it. I will book it once onboard. I plan on spending entire day in Seattle since my flight home does not leave till 1030pm

We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.

We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks so much for your report. It is exactly as we hoped it would be.

So am I correct in assuming that if you have a flight that departs SeaTac airport after 11am you can fill out paperwork at guest services and they will take your bags to the airport and print your boarding passes and this is all courtesy of the Port of Seattle. Am I missing anything? I am sailing with Emerald Princess and my flight departs at night.

Thanks for the info I am sailing in July ,and was thrilled to see your post about this service. We are hoping to use it . Sounds great.

Thanks again

Terri

So am I correct in assuming that if you have a flight that departs SeaTac airport after 11am you can fill out paperwork at guest services and they will take your bags to the airport and print your boarding passes and this is all courtesy of the Port of Seattle. Am I missing anything? I am sailing with Emerald Princess and my flight departs at night.

On the form I filled out, you had to answer yes to five questions and one of the questions asked if your flight was between 11 and 1 pm. Even though my flight was at 1:10, I answered yes and it was approved. I can understand that the flight has to be after 11, but don't really see a problem with a flight after 1. I did have to have a printed copy of my flight confirmation. Be sure a bring a copy with you.

I was told that this was a courtesy of the port of Seattle hoping to make disembark me too smoother.

On the form I filled out, you had to answer yes to five questions and one of the questions asked if your flight was between 11 and 1 pm. Even though my flight was at 1:10, I answered yes and it was approved. I can understand that the flight has to be after 11, but don't really see a problem with a flight after 1. I did have to have a printed copy of my flight confirmation. Be sure a bring a copy with you.

I was told that this was a courtesy of the port of Seattle hoping to make disembark me too smoother.

Since the main point of offering this service was to hopefully allow people to spend more time in Seattle it doesn't make sense to limit it to 1 pm.

Did you have to be among the first group off the ship in case customs wanted to inspect your luggage??

This will help us tremendously in August. Knowing that we don't have to deal with luggage at the airport will make life so much easier. Thank you so much for your report.