Canadians with American dollar credit cards

This is an alert, not a complaint as our problem was eventually and satisfactorily resolved.

By way of background, we book in Canadian dollars using our Cdn. Visa but all other purchases are put on our US dollar visa.

I was having trouble booking excursions and so called Princess, explaining we use our US dollar card. Instead of making the payment for our excursions the agent applied them to our deposit (yes there's no logic to this error, but it explains why she charged in Cdn. dollars.)

When I noticed our excursions were still in the saved section I called back. Several supervisors were involved in locating the payment but it was eventually found with a promise to refund it. (For some reason it couldn't be applied to the excursions)

To make a long story shorter, it turns out the initial Princess agent had converted the US charge to Canadian dollars which was again converted to US dollars by our bank. And since our dollar declined further between the initial payment and refund we were shortchanged $30.00.

Again this was escalated to supervisors with documents faxed in.

Each agent was friendly and helpful BUT the first made an error which too, multiple phone calls and a week to correct.

In the end we were given a dinner at a speciality restaurant and a OBC to cover the $30.00.

The moral of the story, if you use an American dollar credit card, confirm a couple of times that the charges are to be made in American dollars.

I've just noted that coffee cards and water are priced in Cdn. dollars on the site -- I'm almost afraid to preorder.

Ruth

If you put your American credit card down on your Personalizer for credit card on file for purchases on board and buy your coffee card (no difference in price if purchased in advance) or any purchase on board and you will be charged in US$.

The water on board is fine to drink. I bring a wide mouth water bottle/coffee cup and fill it up with ice and water from the buffet - Liddo deck.

As My Princess PVP explained "Everything that is paid before the cruise is charged in the currency that it was booked in.". Meaning that if you paid in Canadian dollars . Anything pre paid will be charged in Canadian. If you use a US credit Card , the purchase will be charge in CDN$ and the CC will do the exchange to US$.

As My Princess PVP explained "Everything that is paid before the cruise is charged in the currency that it was booked in.". Meaning that if you paid in Canadian dollars . Anything pre paid will be charged in Canadian. If you use a US credit Card , the purchase will be charge in CDN$ and the CC will do the exchange to US$.

Not true where the specialty dining restaurants are concerned. I've pre-booked two dinners and they were both charged to my US account in US$ funds. The bottled water package, on the other hand, was charged in Canadian$. Strange, but true.

Not true where the specialty dining restaurants are concerned. I've pre-booked two dinners and they were both charged to my US account in US$ funds. The bottled water package, on the other hand, was charged in Canadian$. Strange, but true.

Your right about specialty dinners. Didn't think of them because I don't normally used them. Everything else seems to be in Canadian if booked in Canadian.

I wish people would do the same on other forums as well. I had an on going discussion with another about the town where I live . They left with out an apology for their accusations of false statements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's good the mistake was acknowledged and rectified.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The problem was identifying the source of the error from Princess' end which took time, supervisors and effort.

We were pleased with the eventual solution and acknowledgement.

Ruth