Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.

Okay, okay, he didn't "put it in his mouth".......he picked it up off the mall floor, after a trainer threw it at him.

I think of my babies as real people!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.

So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers

So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers

Settle, petal!

I don't think Roz was talking about you! :)

Cheers

Calm down...I don't think Roz was talking about you. I believe she is talking about people that go on-line and buy vests so they can bring the family pet out with them. Not a dog like you have. The Animal Cracker thing happened during team training. We went through it with our daughter. The reason most dogs go for the crackers is because they are seeing what they can get away with because there is someone new at the end of the leash, not one of the trainers. And let's be honest, at the end of the day Blitz is still a dog. On any given day he will go for the treat. Don't kid yourself into thinking he is always the perfect service dog.

Cheers

While in harness (while they are working) when they are at home and no harness is on all bets are off they are regular dogs (still the best behave regular dogs) My inlaws have 2 guide dogs and have had 6 in total the past 25 -30 yrs) they all were well behaved in harness but out of harness they lick you and if you left food unattended they would eat it too just not as bad as regular dogs. They don't beg at the table but they do sit right beside my girls cuz they know they might drop bread crumbs LOL....

Jenn in Canada

Cheers

Not you!

When Horton picked-up the animal cracker it was, as was mentioned by DisneyKidsDad, during Team Training [the two week period in which CCI trains the different teams of handlers and dogs] and, anything can happen.

There are definitely "standards" by which dogs are trained [it's the only way the various orgs. can get their licensing and accredidation by Assistance Dogs International to do so.]

No need to be defensive....I think your heart and intentions are in the right place.

FYI -

Training Standards

Assistance Dogs International Standards and Ethics Committee has developed minimum standards and ethics which all member programs must follow. This active committee updates existing standards and develops new ones. These standards are the backbone of the ADI accreditation and guide programs.

The public should understand that these are minimum standards. Please take the time to read each to understand all that goes into a working assistance dog.

Assistance Dogs in Public: guidelines on the public appropriateness, behavior and training expected of a dog working in the public.

Clients: guidelines for the rights of clients partnered with an assistance dog and the rights of the community as understood by ADI.

Dog: guidelines for the standards and ethics regarding the training and placing of Assistance Dogs.

Dog Partners: responsibilities of a person partnered with an assistance dog.

Guide Dogs: guidelines for the minimum training standards for a guide dog.

Hearing Dogs: guidelines for the minimum training standards for a hearing dog.

Programs: standards for all member programs.

Service Dogs: guidelines for the minimum training standards for a service dog.

Trainers: minimum guidelines for trainers. Trainers are encouraged to achieve a much higher level.

Standards are being developed for Facility Dogs and Therapy Dogs.

Copyright© 1997-2012 Assistance Dogs International, Inc. All rights reserved.

While in harness (while they are working) when they are at home and no harness is on all bets are off they are regular dogs (still the best behave regular dogs) My inlaws have 2 guide dogs and have had 6 in total the past 25 -30 yrs) they all were well behaved in harness but out of harness they lick you and if you left food unattended they would eat it too just not as bad as regular dogs. They don't beg at the table but they do sit right beside my girls cuz they know they might drop bread crumbs LOL....

Jenn in Canada

I love hearing that those amazing guide dogs can just be dogs when out of harness.

Brenda will lie at my DH's feet while he eats [she doesn't come near me], I just have to give her a dirty look and she's gone. Horton can easily reach his muzzle onto the sink and grab anything off easily but he doesn't dare. I've caught him a few times sniffing around but he's NEVER taken anything and I'm not about to move a thing.

Horton will also sniff EVERYTHING within in reach of his nose.......and, I do mean EVERYTHING!

I was warned by the trainers that it's something they could not change in him and he just needed to be reminded to stop if he's over doing it........like sniffing everyone's shoes, purses, lunch bags, etc., etc., in the elevator. Jeeeeezzzzzz!

When we're at the airport, he has to sniff everyone's luggage, when I'm shopping he has to sniff the shopping cart.....he drives me nuts.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz: TeeHee, he could have. Leann Emily picks her dry crunchies up in her paw and eats them. I know, I know, she is a cat, but I bet if dog could do it, it would be a Lab! :p

These are my first Labs and they're everything I've always heard over the years about them......such sweet, wonderful dogs.

Leann Emily you're such a monkey!!!!!

I actually go by ADI standards....

I'm sorry please allow me to beg for your forgiveness again. I am very sensitive about my program and my dogs that are actually out there.

Of course.

It's important that you and the dogs that you're training have a "standard" and that the clients who are receiving these dogs are given guidelines to follow with good standards in place.

I hope the ADI Standards information is helpful to you.

Of course.

It's important that you and the dogs that you're training have a "standard" and that the clients who are receiving these dogs are given guidelines to follow with good standards in place.

I hope the ADI Standards information is helpful to you.

I almost know them by heart; except the face licking................. lol

Jocko,

You also have to understand that it is not a speedy process for us folks to get a service dog. The process for CCI goes like this.

1. Fill out on-line application. (and wait)

2. Get long application in the mail. (fill out and wait)

3. Get medical application, bring to doctor to fill out. (and wait)

4. Do phone interview. (and wait some more)

5. Do an in-person interview. (waiting again)

6. "If" you get approved, you now go on the waiting list.

The application process takes about 6 months to a year. Right now there is a 2 year plus waiting list once you are approved. They also don't call you to come up for team training just because you are next on the list. They wait until they think they have a dog that will match your needs. We waited longer because we didn't want to take our daughter out of school for 2 weeks. So we waited for the summer training.

So at least with CCI, it's not just someone who wants a service dog.

Jocko,

You also have to understand that it is not a speedy process for us folks to get a service dog. The process for CCI goes like this.

The application process takes about 6 months to a year. Right now there is a 2 year plus waiting list once you are approved. They also don't call you to come up for team training just because you are next on the list. They wait until they think they have a dog that will match your needs. We waited longer because we didn't want to take our daughter out of school for 2 weeks. So we waited for the summer training.

It's actually "Waiting for Canine Waiting for Companions Waiting for Independence."

But, the waiting is so worth it. What you get in the end can not be duplicated. And, CCI is a true class act.

And, it's not just us who are doing the "waiting!" Horton was held back from being placed, as Ken put it; "with just the right person!" He just didn't "match." They really work very hard at placements. What they do is a true art; matching the dogs temperment with just the right person!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Jocko,

This is exactly what I was asking for.................... The process!!!! :)

See what started this line of questions is a few in my area who swear they need no doctors documentation except that they are quote/unquote disabled somehow. Its actually pisses me off to no end that people are so callus about a disability or wanting to have a SD or a pet wearing a vest. Now Blitz does not go with me everywhere; he is plainly not needed. Uneven land like the beach or rough areas he is there. Normal type day no shopping involved he stays home unless the legs are acting up.

Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by guitarest

This is exactly what I was asking for.................... The process!!!! :)

See what started this line of questions is a few in my area who swear they need no doctors documentation except that they are quote/unquote disabled somehow. Its actually pisses me off to no end that people are so callus about a disability or wanting to have a SD or a pet wearing a vest. Now Blitz does not go with me everywhere; he is plainly not needed. Uneven land like the beach or rough areas he is there. Normal type day no shopping involved he stays home unless the legs are acting up.

Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to help.

I love hearing that those amazing guide dogs can just be dogs when out of harness.

Brenda will lie at my DH's feet while he eats [she doesn't come near me], I just have to give her a dirty look and she's gone. Horton can easily reach his muzzle onto the sink and grab anything off easily but he doesn't dare. I've caught him a few times sniffing around but he's NEVER taken anything and I'm not about to move a thing.

Horton will also sniff EVERYTHING within in reach of his nose.......and, I do mean EVERYTHING!

I was warned by the trainers that it's something they could not change in him and he just needed to be reminded to stop if he's over doing it........like sniffing everyone's shoes, purses, lunch bags, etc., etc., in the elevator. Jeeeeezzzzzz!

When we're at the airport, he has to sniff everyone's luggage, when I'm shopping he has to sniff the shopping cart.....he drives me nuts.

You forgot the sniffing of crotches! :( Thats my favorite. Wexler is an expert when it comes to that! How embarrassing!!!! :eek:

You forgot the sniffing of crotches! :( Thats my favorite. Wexler is an expert when it comes to that! How embarrassing!!!! :eek:

Finally broke Blitz of greeting women in dresses with that long nose under the dress...... First time I was so embarrassed I think more so that she was. He only did it one time and it was very funny looking back..........

546742_167022186758621_1484970769_n.jpg

Because Horton is so much taller than Brenda he reaches everyone's crotch so much easier......I hate when he does that! I'm always apologizing for him.

Finally broke Blitz of greeting women in dresses with that long nose under the dress...... First time I was so embarrassed I think more so that she was. He only did it one time and it was very funny looking back..........

546742_167022186758621_1484970769_n.jpg

Horton does this all the time......I'm forever saying I'm sorry, especially in the elevator and those summer dresses are so much fun to look up!!!!!!

It never ceases to amazse me how many people are astounded that Lucy "behaves" in public! Of course she does. She has been trained and it is part of her job.

We went to a "meet and greet" for our new apartment manager a few days ago. Lucy lay down by my feet the entire time and totally ignored the food (as she should.) The manager and several other tenants made a big deal about how she ignored the food and never barked at the crowd. The manager told me, "My dog would have cleared the table by now. She eats everything in sight."

My reaction: "Uh, have you tried training her? This is chocolate cake and could make her very sick."

Her reply: "No, it is too much trouble!" :confused:

People never cease to amaze me.

Yes well my MIL Guide Dog Sally is sometimes naughty when off leash and she is the alpha dog in the house (humps Irby my FIL male guide dog to show dominance when off leash and she wants to show whose boss) also while off leash if we have left the table she will try and eat crumbs or get buns if they are left unsupervised and attacks kleenexes in the garbage can so we can't use the bathroom garbage cans for that at inlaws place. But in harness she is well behaved and will lie down when my MIL is working at a desk or sitting and stay there and not bark or anything. My FIL guide dog likes to lick people their pant legs etc especially if they have other pets but again while in harness this is mostly controlled. Both are great with the kids even when they were toddler age and hugged the dogs longer etc. Never growled or bit or anything just sometimes a sad plea with the eyes saying this little pup thing is lying on me and I just want to nap. They are uber excited when the kids come over as they love the extra attention ;)

What kind of service dog is yours?? My only experience has been with guide dogs and I have seen a few for hearing dogs and one for autism and one for seizures (it was a little lap dog thing) at least that is what the harness said..

Jenn

Dear All,

It's summer time and we're always in a hurry but if you're taking your precious dog/cats or other pets with you while your traveling please read the following:

I thought maybe if people understood what really happens to a dog or cat when it is locked in a hot car they will change their ways. So here goes…If you leave your dog in a hot car, here is what will happen:

- First, your dog will develop hyperthermia. Hyperthermia occurs when your dog’s body temperature elevates above the generally accepted normal range (body temperatures above 103° F/39° C are abnormal) – like what occurs when you dog is left in a hot car.

-As your dog’s body temperature rises, he will begin to pant heavily and he will start to sweat through the pads of his feet This is his body’s attempt to get his core body temp back to a normal range (100-102.5°F).

If he is left to wait in your hot car:

– His body will then start to direct his blood to his core organs (guts, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys) and away from outside (brain, limbs, etc.) in an attempt to help him. At this point your dog is in heat stress. He is getting weak and possibly dizzy. He may start to vomit. His body is starting to go into shock.

If your dog remains in your hot car at this point, he will go into heat stroke:

– Now his internal organs are starting to cook. He may start having convulsions. He may also start jumping around the car as if he is happy. He is not. He is in a panic. This is his last ditch effort to save himself, because his body is starting to shut down.

– Lastly, fluid will fill his lungs causing him to have trouble breathing. He will start to gasp for air as his body shuts down.

– He is dead.

– Time all of this took to happen? 10 minutes. That’s it. 10 MINUTESin a hot car.

– When your dog goes into heat stroke, you are past the point of no return. There is very little a vet or anyone else can do to save him.

– Sadly, you could have saved him by not leaving him in a hot car. But, you didn’t. Now you not only have to live with the guilt of leaving your dog in your hot car, but also the knowledge of how your dog died. It was painful. It was lonely. It was unnecessary.

It's tough to read but it's so important to remember. Thanks for taking the time.

Edited by wizard-of-roz