AMA Paris/Normandy - last minute questions for veteran AMA cruisers

ConnMom

We are leaving next week for our first AMA river cruise on the Seine, and I have a few questions from the seasoned AMA cruisers, especially those who have taken this itinerary. I have read the material from AMA, but am still uncertain about what choices to make on 2 of the excursions. For Caudebec-en Caux, can anyone comment on their experiences with either the Honfleur excursion or the Routes des Abbayes tour? I am leaning toward the first, but would appreciate input from others. Likewise, I am really torn between the Conflans offerings: Chateau Malmaison or Artists Walk tours. Both look very interesting. Any thoughts on these?

My other question is a general packing question: the booklet AMA sent suggests dressing up for the captain's dinner, which I am fine with, but all the discussions I have seen here emphasize casual dress. Do many women tend to wear dresses for this occasion, or will I be wasting my limited packing space? And are there other occasions that people also dress up a bit for, like the specialty restaurant?

I always learn so much on these boards. I almost feel ready to embark on this much anticipated French adventure. Thank you to anyone who can help me with these last minute questions.

Cheryl

My other question is a general packing question: the booklet AMA sent suggests dressing up for the captain's dinner, which I am fine with, but all the discussions I have seen here emphasize casual dress. Do many women tend to wear dresses for this occasion, or will I be wasting my limited packing space? And are there other occasions that people also dress up a bit for, like the specialty restaurant?

I always learn so much on these boards. I almost feel ready to embark on this much anticipated French adventure. Thank you to anyone who can help me with these last minute questions.

Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl! We are veteran (8x) AMA cruises and did take this itinerary, but with another line, so I am not able to comment on the tour options. Honfleur was a big hit on our sailing, if that helps at all.

For the Captain's events, as well as for the Chef's Table, most passengers took it up a notch from the norm. Personally, I wear tailored black slacks with a dressy top and am in the majority. I mix and match a lot and will pair these slacks with multiple tops throughout the cruise.

I do like dresses and generally pack a simple jersey wrap dress or sweater dress (depending on season) that I can bling up with accessories. I dress as I would for an upscale restaurant here at home. For these evenings, DH wears a sportcoat and sometimes a tie. About half of the men do so in my experience.

We very much enjoyed the itinerary and AMA is our favorite. Enjoy!

My wife and I did this cruise last May, our only river cruise. We did the Honfleur tour. It was a guided walking tour of the waterfront and the history of the city and some artists. There was also free time to explore. We ejoyed it very much. We did the Artists Walk tour in Conflans because it focused on Van Gogh and the inn he lived in at end of his life. Though it was raining, we found it very interesting. It was also a guided walking tour. We visited the cemetery where he and his brother Theo are buried.

As for dress, almost everyone dressed casually except for the Chefs Table. There was a private group aboard who dressed up on their own.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Hawk and Caviargal, many thanks to both of you for the tour and fashion input. I think we will probably go with Honfleur for its charm and the Artists Walk tour as a follow up to our pre-cruise museum visits in Paris.

And, as it seems that clothing is not a big issue, I will let the space in my luggage dictate whether the dress gets to stay or go.

Caviargal, I see that you have included a future cruise on the MS Joy in your signatiure Is that with Tauck? We did their Blue Danube itinerary last summer on the Joy and had a wonderful trip. It also was generally relaxed and casual, except for the evenings when we had dinner and entertainment off the boat. If this is the tour you are going on, I think you will enjoy it.

My reply is probably too late for your packing, but I just returned yesterday from the AmaLyra Paris to Normandy cruise and it was spectacular! I will say it was rainy and cold most of the time, so sitting on the sun deck was not an option. We took the Honfleur excursion (beautiful), as well as the trip to Van Gogh's last residence (wonderful). We did not dress up for the Chef's Table - just a nicer top for the ladies. Everything about this trip was fabulous. Sat at the Captain's table with the adorable Captain Geoffrey Masson - he is on a 2-week break now.

Allyson

Thank you, Allyson. It is not too late for my packing, and I am happy to hear from several women that a dress is not necessary. We leave for Europe on Tuesday, but will spend 9 days in Ireland and Paris before embarking on the Lyra on Sept. 28. I am planning for cool weather everywhere, and will bring rain gear, but hope we don't have too much rain. Our Danube cruise last year at the same time was very rainy. We never saw the sun deck on that trip except for embarkation day.

Both excursions sound excellent; I always want to do everything that is offered and hate to have to make choices, but it is wonderful that the choices exist. We are definitely looking forward to trying AMA after all the excellent comments.I am sorry that the captain will be on vacation; it sounds as if his replacement will have a lot to live up to.

One silly question if anyone remembers: does the boat have decaf tea among its offerings? Not a big deal, but it might save me a smidgeon of space if I don't have to bring a box.

Thank you, Allyson. It is not too late for my packing, and I am happy to hear from several women that a dress is not necessary. We leave for Europe on Tuesday, but will spend 9 days in Ireland and Paris before embarking on the Lyra on Sept. 28. I am planning for cool weather everywhere, and will bring rain gear, but hope we don't have too much rain. Our Danube cruise last year at the same time was very rainy. We never saw the sun deck on that trip except for embarkation day.

Both excursions sound excellent; I always want to do everything that is offered and hate to have to make choices, but it is wonderful that the choices exist. We are definitely looking forward to trying AMA after all the excellent comments.I am sorry that the captain will be on vacation; it sounds as if his replacement will have a lot to live up to.

One silly question if anyone remembers: does the boat have decaf tea among its offerings? Not a big deal, but it might save me a smidgeon of space if I don't have to bring a box.

Captain Masson should be back by then, but you never know what ship he will be on. He is from Avignon, so France is a strong possibility. I am sorry to say I am not a tea drinker, so I don't know about the decaf tea. The crew bent over backwards to please. I hope you have a wonderful time! I am still wishing I were still on the ship!

Allyson

On our AMA Rhone cruise my brother-in-law asked for Extra Virgin Olive Oil for his bread at dinner. He was unhappy with the quality of what they provided, and the next morning they went out and bought a bottle of really good stuff that was presented at our table every dinner afterward! So if they don't have decaf tea, just ask -- they will have it the next day. :)

I drink a lot of tea and AMA always has a wide selection of herbal and decaf options. Enjoy!

DH and I were on the AMAViola two weeks ago. First River Cruise!

I wore black Chico's Traveler's slacks every evening and paired with a different top, jacket, dressy sweater, etc. For the Captain's Dinner (we dined with a group in the "special" dining room) I wore a different pair of Traveler's, along with a black & gold, slightly sparkly, tunic. Most dressed up a bit. We saw anything from the bicycler's attire ( large group of Backroads on our cruise), to shorts, to a long dress or two. For the the Chef's Table, I wore my black Traveler's with a dressy tank and flowy (is there such a word?) black sweater jacket.

The Captain's Welcome, which is the first night, is very casual. Some people did not have their luggage. Others did not have time to unpack. While others were in a their cycling gear. :rolleyes: We managed to shower and change into something other than our travel clothes.

Bottom line is that DH and I felt good with what we wore each evening. :) DH did not take a jacket. He wore either a Polo, dress shirt, or sweater along with dress pants every evening. We did see a couple of men in jackets or suits, but most wore golf shirts to dinner. Some in Tee's. ;p

Should we try the River Cruising again, the items that I will not pack again are a bathing suit and cover-up. We had mostly rain and some cool weather after the first day or two. Plus, there really is no time to relax up on the deck. We did sit up there a time or two wrapped in blankets while watching the scenery. :D

Have a great trip and cruise! ;)

Now that we are just a day out from our flight, I am removing items from my luggage. I will save my dress and bathing suit for a cruise out of Florida this winter, and even have removed a couple of sweaters to save space. I am learning not to care about repeatedly wearing the same things, and am getting attached to black pants and multiple scarves and shawls. I am glad that AMA is generally pretty casual. The line and itinerary we sailed on last year required some dress clothes for off-ship events, and while it was a fantastic cruise, I am looking forward to a more relaxed atmosphere this year.

I have gotten great feedback from so many happy AMA travelers; my anticipation is high, and I am more than ready to get on with our adventure.

Good idea! I took one thin sweater shirt and my rain jacket and one pair of long work-out pants for cold weather. Wasn't expecting any in late August. I was cold for those 2-3 days that we had rain, and the rain jacket did not keep me dry. It's a Marmot. :loudcry: Next time, I will take a heavier sweater and my Columbia jacket. Oh, and my feet also got soaked. I will ALWAYS carry the provided umbrella from now on. :rolleyes:

Safe travels!

Now that we are just a day out from our flight, I am removing items from my luggage. I will save my dress and bathing suit for a cruise out of Florida this winter, and even have removed a couple of sweaters to save space. I am learning not to care about repeatedly wearing the same things, and am getting attached to black pants and multiple scarves and shawls. I am glad that AMA is generally pretty casual. The line and itinerary we sailed on last year required some dress clothes for off-ship events, and while it was a fantastic cruise, I am looking forward to a more relaxed atmosphere this year.

I have gotten great feedback from so many happy AMA travelers; my anticipation is high, and I am more than ready to get on with our adventure.

A nice touch: Ama gives each lady a beautiful scarf at the beginning of the cruise. That's one less scarf for you to take!

Allyson

A nice touch: Ama gives each lady a beautiful scarf at the beginning of the cruise. That's one less scarf for you to take!

Allyson

And on our cruise the same scarf was given to the men :D. We had one man traveling solo that got the scarf. He didn't quite know what to do with it since he had no one to give it to.

I love the gift scarf idea - what a nice way to remember a lovely vacation every time it is worn. Well kept secret for newbies - this is the first time I have heard of this. I think I am going to love this cruise (of course, I have never met a cruise that I haven't liked, ocean or river.)