What Makes for a GREAT Cruise for YOU?

Paulette3028

So what does make a cruise great for you? Is it the food, the accommodations, the friends you come with or those you meet on board? Is it the ports of call, or the service (from wait staff to housekeeping) -- what exactly is it for you?

Before we started cruising in 2004, I would have said - "the whole experience', 'the elegance I have heard others talk about'.

Now years later, and having gone on over a dozen cruises (many people have done more)....I know what makes a great cruise for me....it is the Entertainment Staff.

From the Cruise Director to the Activities Director to the newest member of the entertainment staff....they make the cruise Rock. From the cruise directors' planning with the Miami home office to the execution of the smallest detail (like the Karoake machine working), it all has to go smoothly for that wonderful cruise for me and DH. And, they do it, and do it and keep doing it....like energizer bunnies.

Just came off of another cruise on Majesty....and Mitch and his team with Mo (Activities Director) where outstanding. To Mitch and Mo -- enjoy your own upcoming vacations.....you made our little weekend getaway -- outstanding.

We have had great experiences with Dennis (Cruise Director) and Elvis (Activities Director)....and many others.....the entertainment team, makes a cruise great for us.

For me it is first and foremost the weather:D We have had a few cruises with rain here and there and that can put a damper on things. Being from the Northeast we are escaping cold, cloudy weather and hope to avoid it at all costs! When the weather is sunny and warm things seems to fall into place!

Really has nothing to do with the cruise, ship, destinations, crew or fellow passengers- just give me a bright sunny day and I'm happy!

Edited by Wilda

My "checklist" of a GREAT cruise:

1. Staff friendliness - to us, it really makes our cruise when the staff is upbeat, and friendly

2. Not having to prepare meals or do dishes.

3. Nice weather

4. Ports we enjoy

5. Decent shows, including Quest, & Ice Show

Just came off of another cruise on Majesty....and Mitch and his team with Mo (Activities Director) where outstanding. To Mitch and Mo -- enjoy your own upcoming vacations.....you made our little weekend getaway -- outstanding.

I just got off Majesty as well over Halloween and thought they did a good job too. Ricky, from my previous two cruises on Majesty did a good job as well but it was the same both cruises.

Back to your question, I pretty much know what the expect so as long as my expectations are met. Some things that lessen a cruise aren't always under the control of the cruise line. My dive was canceled in Coco Cay which was a huge disappointing thing for me, but itprobably wasn't the cruise line's fault. On Jewel we almost missed the docking port of Costa Maya, and that would have been a huge dissapointment for me, but the captain actually went out of his way to get us there.

Food usually isn't a disaapointment for me, if something is bad, which rarely happens, they will replace it.

For me, it's service, the ship and entertainment. I love live entertainment, especially in the evenings, which is one of the big reasons I am partial to RCI.

Additionally, I prefer a well behaved and courteous crowd, which is becoming a rare occurrance these days. But when it does happen, it makes a world of difference.

Meeting nice people, and I will tell you from our experiences, that people vary from nice to ugly on any given cruise.

Also like a cruise where there are no big groups or small groups who think anyone outside there group is a potential criminal LOL

groups who think anyone outside there group is a potential criminal LOL

I don't need to be part of a group to do that. I always assume everyone is a potential criminal! Just like when I drive, I assume every other driver is either drunk, distracted or just an idiot. Better safe than sorry!:D

I know some people think the food is just fine or sometimes bad. I find it really good and I enjoy the WJ a lot. So to me it would be food + fashion. I really love putting my outfits together and planning every part of it. :o

Entertainment is whatever to me. I will go if there is anything worth it and I will enjoy it. If its not worth it or there isnt any I could care less. Same for the cruise director, could care less who he/she is. wouldnt even notice if there is or isnt.

For me, the main thing is being at sea. I have basically shut out the real/outside world. I do not turn on the TV - but for muster drill. No news or movies. Also, no technology - no phone, no internet. I don't have to shop for food, cook food, or clean up after fixing/eating food. I don't do laundry or make my bed, or clean bathrooms. I do, however, keep my personal items under control.

I like the main dining room for dinner each night. I have never had a bad meal there; I do enjoy the service. I also like the nightly entertainment. Every night on the cruise is "date night". After 40 years, it is still fun to dress up a bit, have a nice dinner, and then see a show.

The last thing for me would be the daily activities, as well as time to mindlessly read a good book. I do a few of the activities, and will read a book or two while cruising, but what I really enjoy is an afternoon dip in the hot tub.

Guest maddycat
I know this is a bit soppy but to be honest it's enjoying a shared love of cruising with my husband and having quality time together!

Not soppy at all. That's sweet.

A week with my husband

Sitting on the balcony watching the ocean

An umbrella drink/glass of wine

Someone else cooking and cleaning

Beautiful weather and beaches and snorkeling

In that order

DITTO, that just about sums it up for me too. The absolute is the sea and the critters in it. There's just something sublime about being a little bitty spec in a huge liquid blue space...humbling:o

I know this is a bit soppy but to be honest it's enjoying a shared love of cruising with my husband and having quality time together!

Exactly! We feel the same way. This has been a horrendous year for us and we know that the next time we set foot on a cruise ship, it will be because of our love for one another and counting each blessing and making time together count! We love to laugh, we love to watch the ocean drift by, we just love to be together. The very act of cruising means that we can take some time to "disconnect" and enjoy one another and all the ship has to offer. :)

Exactly the most important reason! We are also what some consider "water dogs" as we love being at sea and spending time on all the great beaches, it is also great to meet new people who have the same passion for cruising as we do!