Air France canceled flight

Canada 59

On June 23 Air France canceled my flight from Budapest to CDG as the flight was not full and it would not be economical profitable for them. I had to wait 12 hr in the airport till 5 pm for the next flight as they would not put me on the Lufthansa flight 20 min later. My TA has been fighting for me as Avalon booked the flight and after 7 weeks I will get €600 compensation as per EU law!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Avalon wanted me to file on my own but I would not let them off the hook my TA then went through Globus the parent company who owns Avalon. The check is coming from Delta who bought the space on Air France! Air France wanted my bank information as a ploy to keep me from pursuing the claim and I refused. Nice to know EU law prevailed!

This would be a good FYI post on the Air board

A little unclear though "On June 23 Air France canceled my flight ..." Was your flight on June 23 or did you get the notice on June 23 for a flight on a different day? How did you find out? if you had to wait 12 hours it sounds like showed up at the airport and then got the notice. Was there no advance email?

Just trying to understand how this happened.

Good that you got such good compensation; EU has strict pax rights laws.

Got my boarding pass on line after dinner the night before on June 22 . Got up at 2:30 am and there was an E mail in French with no flight number showed up at 4 am to long line up at counter dealing with all the canceled seats. Had the e mail translated and it was a rubber stamped apology say they would work hard to resolve the problem . Forward the e mail to Air France via my TA and they denied it was only sent in French. As I got my boarding pass in English you might think they would figure it was the preferred language to communicate in!

Air France wanted my bank information as a ploy to keep me from pursuing the claim and I refused. Nice to know EU law prevailed!

I doubt I'd give them bank info too but curious why you say it was a ploy to have you drop the claim.

That may be standard operating practice for France. I am not sure that it was a ploy based on a similar experience that I've had.

We had TGV tickets from Nice to Paris back in 2010. They ended up going unused, due to a strike that day. The train did not run, so we rented a car and drove instead.

We got an e-mail (yes, in French) and it offered a way to claim a refund for the unused tickets. I did have to send them my bank information, and they deposited the refund there. It took a few months to happen, but eventually it did.

PS - we made money on the transaction, because the Euro had risen between the time we bought the tickets, and the time we got a refund. So they refunded the fare in Euros, which our bank converted to more $ than it had cost us to buy the tickets. So we got $10 for our troubles!

Glad to hear you got compensation, but I wonder who was responsible for paying out. Did Avalon take their time, or would they not have to file against Air France, as they were the ones who canceled.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

The airline.

We recently received our cheque for the Stirling equivalent of €800.00 from British Airways.

To be fair to them, they also put us up in a better hotel than we had originally had and paid for breakfasts and dinner.

Air France wanted my bank information as a ploy to keep me from pursuing the claim and I refused.

Bank to bank transfers are the norm in Europe, checks are much less commonly used, so I wouldn't regard it as a 'ploy' just the normal way to pay compensation...

Bank to bank transfers are the norm in Europe, checks are much less commonly used, so I wouldn't regard it as a 'ploy' just the normal way to pay compensation...

Totally agree I have only written a cheque to one person in the past 15 months and that was only so they could give me a discount rather than pay paypal fees. Personal cheques are virtually unacceptable we use card or bank transfers.

On June 23 Air France canceled my flight from Budapest to CDG as the flight was not full and it would not be economical profitable for them. I had to wait 12 hr in the airport till 5 pm for the next flight as they would not put me on the Lufthansa flight 20 min later. My TA has been fighting for me as Avalon booked the flight and after 7 weeks I will get €600 compensation as per EU law!

Yikes, I'm doing that flight on September 15 about 11am. Hope it isn't cancelled! :(

On June 23 Air France canceled my flight from Budapest to CDG as the flight was not full and it would not be economical profitable for them.

How did you reach this conclusion? This is not why flights are cancelled.

Air France wanted my bank information as a ploy to keep me from pursuing a claim.
What sense does this make? How would them having your bank information prevent you from filing a claim? They wanted the information to deposit compensation directly into your account.