All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We just returned from the Danube Symphony cruise last week. We had 50 passengers on board. We have sailed on Uniworld in the past, each time with around 90 passengers.

I don't know if it was the difference in companies, or the difference in passenger number, but we felt like this cruise was a "miss" compared to our prior ones. Even prior Avalon cruisers felt this cruise was a little off.

We certainly expected to see more crew than we did. I'm not sure if they told some to take time off, or not. We were also sandwiched between 2 charter cruises, and the crew seemed very preoccupied with the upcoming one.

At this point, we will be hard pressed to choose Avalon again, as we felt Uniworld was much better. The one area Avalon did excel in was their spacious panorama suite. We will stick with Uniworld, though are seriously considering Amawaterways, after so many positive reviews on this board.

The price for an entry level panorama suite was down to $1249/person on our cruise (5 nights)

Robin

I noticed on the description of our upcoming cruise from Paris to Amsterdam the train from Paris is described as going to either Metz or Luxembourg. Has anyone taken this cruise (Canals, Vineyards, and Paris) or others with the two possible train trips? Do the people taking the tour to Luxembourg take the train there while those going directly to the boat in Remich go to Metz? Or is it some other arrangement?

Thanks,

FuelScience

when we did this 1 with Avalon we were bussed from Remich to Luxembourg. few hours there had lunch and then bussed to Metz and train to Paris. we of course were going Amsterdam to Paris so yours may differ.

interesting to read about the capacity/numbers at present. there are price incentives to book the older ships. the rooms with the big windows are lovely except if rafted, which blocks the view.

we did notice a change in the Avalon product compared to earlier years when we did the last 4 cruises. a lot depends on the cruise director and crew.

if its your 1st cruise you will not be aware of any differences to compare.

I noticed on the description of our upcoming cruise from Paris to Amsterdam the train from Paris is described as going to either Metz or Luxembourg. Has anyone taken this cruise (Canals, Vineyards, and Paris) or others with the two possible train trips? Do the people taking the tour to Luxembourg take the train there while those going directly to the boat in Remich go to Metz? Or is it some other arrangement?

Thanks,

FuelScience

I think it depends on if you are taking an optional tour or not. We are Prague to Paris and are taking the optional trip which has us taking a bus to Luxembourg and then a train to Paris.

No, wishful thinking but DO go on their website and see what the specials are. I would not believe the reports of empty ships. JMO

I'm just going by what I'm seeing for available cabins right now. The one leaving in at the end of June obviously has time to fill up, but based on what I'm seeing .... this itinerary just doesn't seem as popular as others.

Thanks,

FuelScience

FuelScience, our cruise ended up in Remich, which unfortunately for me didn't have a single car rental agency, which surprises me a bit since it is not a tiny town, although it appeared that way when I was researching. My Travel agent and I both had concluded that the most likely departure would be a bus to Metz, unfortunately, at the night two discussion the CD, blew up that theory. She offered to take us for like 100euro to let us go to Luxembourg City with the group on the buses where we could catch the train to Metz(rental cars where twice as expensive for us in Luxembourg City to drive from there to Paris) where our rental was. Unfortunately with the price of the subsequent train ticket and the loss of a few hours time in France, we decided to have the ship get us a cab to Metz. That cost about 150euro. The cab ride was fine, and dropped us at the train station where we picked up our rental and we proceeded to Verdun and then to Loire Valley to view chateaus before going to Versailles where we dropped the rental car and took the train to Paris. Another unfortunate thing, was we were in Tours on Friday night when the Paris attacks occurred, so when we got to Versailles and subsequently Paris, everything was closed for the 4 days we were there. Until late afternoon on the day before our departure. It was not that big a deal, as it was nice to just wander around Paris without the pressure of trying to see all of the sights on the inside. Plus we have a reason to go back.... Assuming things someday get back to normal.

JC

Yes, no need for a coat and tie, unless they just want to stand out as the only non-crew person wearing one. :D

Very relaxed no dress up required.

JC

Booked first River Cruise on Avalon (Prague/Budapest). Glad to read that DH will not need sport coat for dinner. Trying to travel light.

Thanks, Rebel54. We were able to look at excursions offered. Quite different from ocean cruising as not many tours are offered. While we were researching for the cruise, my husband noticed that not many cabins were booked on our cruise and were reassured to see the topic discussed. Also, thanks to all for your positive reviews on Avalon.

Terpshockey - if you haven't figured out yet, there will be at least one included excursion in most ports. Some may have a choice of 2 included excursions. You are correct in that there aren't as many choices but so many of the stops are so close that you can very easily walk into town & explore on your own.

We have our first river cruise coming up in August (countdown is on!) going from Zurich to Vienna. Can anyone please tell us if it is cheaper or a must do to book the optional excursions before we leave home??? Are you able to make up your mind the night before?? Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Viv:confused:

no price difference to pre book. however consider

the ports may change.

you may find you want to make other choices.

you may want to relax or do something on your own.

many factors can occur. after 8 river cruises we like to keep our options open and will book on board if something appeals.

our last 4 Avalon cruises had variations from the published trip so be prepared.

most of the cruise directors will explain your options and be helpful with choices. do lots of research to see what interests you.

we have visited Zurich and Vienna a few times independently, they are wonderful cities with lots to see and experience.

some find doing 2 tours everyday when cruising tiring but you will know what suits you. happy cruising.

Seems like reservations are down on many itineraries and dates. Could be block bookings as previously mentioned or could be state of economy and fears of terrorism. I know our trip in a week still has about 13 cabins and two suites still not booked. Guess no problem finding your table of choice at dinner.

Seems like reservations are down on many itineraries and dates. Could be block bookings as previously mentioned or could be state of economy and fears of terrorism. I know our trip in a week still has about 13 cabins and two suites still not booked. Guess no problem finding your table of choice at dinner.

I'm all for small and intimate groups. I would love it to be under 100 people. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, Rebel54. We were able to look at excursions offered. Quite different from ocean cruising as not many tours are offered. While we were researching for the cruise, my husband noticed that not many cabins were booked on our cruise and were reassured to see the topic discussed. Also, thanks to all for your positive reviews on Avalon.

It is different because you are pulling into relatively small towns that you can enjoy as part of the included tour or on your own. The only reason I booked anything paid was because I want my husband to see Rothenberg and I want to see Luxembourg City. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent that money.

I'm excited for our trip and can't wait to share our experience as I haven't seen anyone post on our itinerary yet.

I am taking cruise #10 with Avalon in August with #11 booked for next June. Obviouly if I have taken that many cruises with Avalon that I am quite a fan. I love their ships, the personnel aboard, cruise directors, and food. Can't wait for August!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am taking cruise #10 with Avalon in August with #11 booked for next June. Obviouly if I have taken that many cruises with Avalon that I am quite a fan. I love their ships, the personnel aboard, cruise directors, and food. Can't wait for August!

Pat

Thanks for posting Pat. I suspect that with 9 Avalon cruises, you're our Avalon expert. Are you ready for questions?

FuelScience

Pat

Hi Pat,

We are sailing on the Imagery 11 in July on the Romantic Rhine Northbound itinerary. Have you done this cruise? If so, do you have any tips for us? This is our second Avalon cruise and are starting to get excited :). Thanks in advance

I did the Romantic Rhine in 2012 and posted a very detailed trip report. You can search this forum to find it. I loved the trip & Avalon was wonderful.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to find your report on the Rhine but since I am fairly new on CC I don't seem to be doing it right. Will you please advise me on how to go about locating it? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I tried to find your report on the Rhine but since I am fairly new on CC I don't seem to be doing it right. Will you please advise me on how to go about locating it? Thanks!

Hi Cruisin, If you go the the main board for River Cruising, there is a search in the upper right corner. I looked for you and I think this is YoungDub's review :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646466&highlight=avalon+romantic+rhine

Hope this works, first time I've tried linking, I'm kinda new too.

Hi Cruisin, If you go the the main board for River Cruising, there is a search in the upper right corner. I looked for you and I think this is YoungDub's review :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646466&highlight=avalon+romantic+rhine

Hope this works, first time I've tried linking, I'm kinda new too.

Thanks so much Daisi - it worked! It looks like a great review so now I'll start reading :)

Wow.. I missed that review when I combed the boards trying to see what line we would like. Great review, and really informative. We will be doing the Amsterdam - Basel route, only because we want a couple of extra days to see areas where family comes from. I'd love to have time to go around Switzerland as well to see where my side comes from, but we only have so much time.

One question for all who have been on the tour. Do they serve Ice Tea and Lemonade with meals with soft drinks, or just soft drinks & water. If it's Ice Tea, is it unsweetened? As a Canadian, unsweetened is a treat for me...:)

I did the Romantic Rhine in 2012 and posted a very detailed trip report. You can search this forum to find it. I loved the trip & Avalon was wonderful.

I just finished reading your very informative and detailed review. Wow it was great. It was very helpful and fills in a lot of my missing blanks. Thanks again!:)