Vista question - What did you bring that was most helpful?

TropicalDuo

Pellaz: glad to see someone is as OCD as me when it comes to packing and packing lists! :) (although yesterday I discovered that my cruise packing list that I've perfected over a number of years is corrupted - can't open it! OMG! Not happy!) I also second the air freshener for the bathroom and the collapsible laundry basket. I think it just boils down to each cruiser takes what he/she wants to take that he/she feels they will use. Nothing wrong with that at all! Most of the suggested items take up very little space so another bag shouldn't be required. If you take something and don't use it or need something that you didn't take, just make a note of it for next time. That's how I've perfected my list over time. Good luck!

We were on the Vista in may. We were 2 people in an inside cabin with the beds as two twins. The outlets were on the desk (1-2 USB ports too) at the foot of one of the beds. If you like to lay in bed and look at your phone (or others device) while it's charging you need a long cable (6ft). Another thing is you need to put a room key in a slot near the door to turn the lights on. We actually used my AAA card to keep the lights on while in the room and took it out of the slot when we left. 🛳

I just got off the Vista last week for our Irma extended cruise, which was fabulous btw... as someone said, there are two USB ports and a receptacle at the desk so unless you have to charge everything at one time you should be fine. Another tip I am glad I saw here was if you choose to not take your medication bottles (ie... weekly pill box) take clear pictures of all of your meds. Medical staff are happy to help if they have something comparable. Luckily we had packed extra just in case but we almost had to go back out for four more days.

Otherwise a yeti type tumbler always comes in handy, gallon size zip lock bags for wet items, toddlers inflatable arm floating barely inflated around alcohol bottles serves as great protection and as we learned the hard way,,something to weigh your checked bag for return .American Airlines charges $100 for any weight over fifty pounds. We didn't account for the alcohol. We toom the towel clips but never needed them, with the architecture of the ship there just didn't seem to much air flow or breeze in the pool areas or the serenity deck.. but hope you will love the Vista, we thought it was amazing. Can't wait to sail her again!!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Forums mobile app

I just got off the Vista last week for our Irma extended cruise, which was fabulous btw... as someone said, there are two USB ports and a receptacle at the desk so unless you have to charge everything at one time you should be fine. Another tip I am glad I saw here was if you choose to not take your medication bottles (ie... weekly pill box) take clear pictures of all of your meds. Medical staff are happy to help if they have something comparable. Luckily we had packed extra just in case but we almost had to go back out for four more days.

Otherwise a yeti type tumbler always comes in handy, gallon size zip lock bags for wet items, toddlers inflatable arm floating barely inflated around alcohol bottles serves as great protection and as we learned the hard way,,something to weigh your checked bag for return .American Airlines charges $100 for any weight over fifty pounds. We didn't account for the alcohol. We toom the towel clips but never needed them, with the architecture of the ship there just didn't seem to much air flow or breeze in the pool areas or the serenity deck.. but hope you will love the Vista, we thought it was amazing. Can't wait to sail her again!!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Forums mobile app

$100 that hurts thats why i have a luggage scale and keep in my suitcase walmart $7 to me that is more important.

Love your list, especially the work printouts! ;p

I'd rather print routine stuff out on the laser printer at work than at home...alas, the color printer at work is generally off-limits unless I get sneaky. :D

--But no matter how you wangle it, printing your luggage tags in color is a REALLY Good Idea, even though it isn't technically required. We found someone else's bag outside our door once, from the stateroom one deck above ours...and sure enough, their tag wasn't printed in color.

I'm surprised no-one called me out on my "drinking horn" item...which appears on my packing list for the annual music cruise I take, but not on my regular list. Ooops, forgot to delete it. .

I alway keep dollar store ponchos in my suitcase no mater where I go - one for each member of the family. Was great to have on a rainy day in NOLA the day before our Dream cruise. Use and toss.

Thanks for reminding me. I always keep these in a pocket - much easier to carry than an umbrella. At Summerfest this year there was a possibility of rain I unpacked the ones I had bought for my upcoming Panama Canal cruise. When it started to drizzle I pulled one out, my grandson looked disappointed. I asked him would he like one? Then turned to my daughter and aske her. "You have three? " Chalk one up for Grammy power. Now off to the Dollar Store to replace them.

Sailing on the Vista in April. Trying to purchase things I will need on the cruise. I have seen a lot of packing lists on the internet.

Did anyone bring the following items and find them helpful:

• Magnetic hooks (I read that the walls of the staterooms are metal and these come in handy for hanging up beach towels, etc.)
  • Powerstrip (I actually purchased an adapter that plugs in and has 3 outlets on it and also has a night light attached.) How many outlets are in a stateroom?
  • Masking tape / duck tape (I can't imagine needing this on a cruise??)
  • Pen, Highlighter, Sticky notes, pad of paper (I can imagine using some of this, like if I wanted to leave a note for our room steward for example)
  • Over the door shoe holder (we are only two people so I have decided to forgo this - it looks like there is a lot of shelves in the bathroom for toiletries)
  • Anything else you found helpful?

Also I have bought some supplies to make a cool door sign. What should I use to hang the sign? Will magnetic hooks work or should I pick up some Command hooks?

Thanks!

I LOVE my magnetic hooks and clips, cuts down on clutter in the drawers for me. I don't think the hooks are strong enough for hanging wet towels but have never tried it.

I have an alternative to a power strip with several USB ports since I'm just charging my phone and iPad

Never have brought tape on any vacation and never missed it, but some swear by it :)

I always like to have pens & highlighters but leave notes for the room steward on the Carnival note paper provided.

I have never taken an over-the-door shoe hanger but I have separate smaller hanging bags for toiletries and jewelry where all the compartments zip closed.

I take supplements and AM/PM meds, so I either use tiny baggies (I have a ton of them from jewelry-making supplies) or an AM/PM pill organizer.

I have a plastic folder with several compartments that I use for my boarding pass and other paperwork (confirmation of pre-purchased items, hotel info, excursion info, flight info), and it also has pockets for pens and post-its.

I take a clutch-style wallet for my cash and gift-cards separate from my regular wallet, and organize the money by denomination. I usually use one that can double as an evening bag (and my phone fits in it). I have a collection of lovely evening bags that do not fit my phone :mad:

It's a good idea to put a copy of your luggage tag inside every piece of checked luggage. I have a permanent regular luggage tag inside each of my suitcases but it makes sense to put a copy of your cruise luggage tag inside as well. And add a copy of your passport!

I use a KYSS bag for port visits when I know I will need to leave my bag unattended (at a beach or on a boat excursion), since they come with a chain and security lock. I've written them to suggest a backpack version and they said they're working on it! :D

Sounds like you have been watching "cruise tips" on youtube! I do that too. Everyone's needs are different. I think if you are traveling with children some of that stuff is necessary.

So here is what I always bring on a cruise:

1 yoga mat. The ones on the ship can be nasty.

2 Yeti or some insulated cup to keep your drink cold

3 pant hangers . Never enough in the closets plus you can use them to hang wet clothes

4. Clothes pins. There is a retractable clothes line in the shower and you need clothes pins to hang your clothes

All of these are great suggestions.

I take a bunch of pocket sized hand sanitizer bottles and wet wipes. On every cruise, someone has gotten sick, so i always have cough syrup, cough drops, allergy meds. The one time i did not carry these items, I got sick and had to pay $$$ on the ship.

We've been on the Vista and the one thing I won't leave without are the collapsible bins I got at the dollar store. There is less drawer space but there are shelves along side of the mirror. One bin for me, one for hubby and our junk drawer bin, cards,pens, ... They're cloth and are light weight. I can't stand clutter so a place for everything.

We've been on the Vista and the one thing I won't leave without are the collapsible bins I got at the dollar store.

I thought this was a great idea, and I've been looking at all of our dollar stores and the larger stores, but the only collapsible bins I can find are large. They would take up a lot of counter space. I'll keep looking, but this sure is a great idea.

I thought this was a great idea, and I've been looking at all of our dollar stores and the larger stores, but the only collapsible bins I can find are large. They would take up a lot of counter space. I'll keep looking, but this sure is a great idea.
Our Dollar Trees carry them on the bottom shelf by the closet and laundry items. They are a tweedy looking light brown color. At times they sell out fast, but keep checking back.

We are generally light packers. I dont usually bring bins when I sail with my hubby, but I was glad that I did when I sailed in a quad with all ladies =) I usually travel with a 20"spinner or 19" backpack. Depending on our shore plans we bring our Cool Bag as well. Its like our old KYSS bag but way way better in design, security and quality.

Stuff we take and use :

Tervis tumblers

Magnetic hooks(to hang damp microfiber towels and swimsuits)

A few ziplock bags

Meds we may need. In tiny baggies, labeled with doseage and all in a plastic soap dish. First aid included.

Poopourri

Small outlet extender

I dont bring or use any of the "office supplies", shoe holder, cleaning supplies. I have dollar store ponchos but have only used them once when there was a downpour in Coz and my kids reeaaally wanted to get souvenirs for friends. In general , Im flexible in my plans and dont mind getting a little wet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I'll check the dollar tree again between now and departure. We are light packers as well - after so many cruises I have our packing list down to a science! But a collapsible bin would easily fit into the outside pocket of my small suitcase and it sure would be handy.

Maybe I missed it, but I always pack BATTERY clocks of some sort. (Plug-in clocks may lose or gain time on the ship.)

Oh, I forgot about that - I take one as well. I keep it in my travel bag with the batteries OUT of it in between trips so they don’t ruin it in case they leak. That little clock is nice to have in the room and takes up very little space.

I used to take a highlighter, but now with the Carnival Hub app I do not need it.

The best thing I took on the Vista was an open mind. The new ship is a bit different and I found I liked many of the changes.

I take of cruise documents showing what you purchased from the Fun Shop. I also pack a tray that my husband can use to bring me back breakfast to eat on the balcony. (He gets up before me and has breakfast and then brings my breakfast to the cabin.)