Not a PFEL freighter, but I think the ship carried some cargo. I sailed on S. S. Monterey from Los Angeles to Hawaii, an around Hawaii cruise, and back to Los Angeles with a prior stop in San Francisco. PFEL had acquired the Monterey and the Mariposa after Matson had left the passenger business. A very nice small ship with very good service, food, and very appropriate entertainment for a Hawaiian oriented cruise. A memorable highlight was our departure from Honolulu's Aloha Tower for the return trip to California. The Cruise Director (who was a singer with a tremendously great voice) teamed with an equally talented member of the Cruise Staff, left the ship to stand on an open air balcony on the Pier, and both sang the Hawaiian Wedding Song just prior to our departure. The Captain was blowing the ship's whistle just as they finished. Streamers and leis were tossed overboard. The "tradition" of if your lei floated back towards the shore, you would return to Hawaii. Mine did and I have!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines