P and o standards slipping?

sapphire4

To slightly mis-quote Disraeli - " I don't complain and I don't explain"

Should have followed Mahatma Gandi advice "If you don't ask, you don't get."

There was no need to explain or complain . Just a "can we have a couple more please? "

To quote Delboy " He who dares, wins." :D :D Better luck on your next cruise.

We were on Britannia on Saturday mini cruise and had plenty of coffee and sugar in cabin with biscuits every day , also a tray of sweets which were removed the second day , don't know why , but no cut backs on anything I noticed we even had our towels changed twice a day

One general observation on this and similar themed threads.

In the package holiday days of the 1970s our courier was asked by some disappointed holidaymakers why the Germans got better hotels with better food. It was she replied, because they paid more for their holidays. They expected quality and were prepared to pay a fair price for it. We wanted it as cheap as possible, and then complained when we got what we paid for. You could not have the cake and the halfpenny.

Cruising is no different. If you want quality to be maintained you will have to be prepared to pay more. If low prices are your priority, you will have to accept cutbacks to keep prices low. You cannot have it both ways.

Im afraid I couldnt care less about the brand of tea....as I dont drink tea at all!

Now, who would like to discuss coffee......?:'):'):')

Neither do I, hate the stuff.

We were on Britannia in June and my OH was pleased to se the PG Tips as he doesn't like Twinings.

I take coffee bags or the individual filter coffees as I don't drink instant.

What makes me laugh about the P&O moaners is they constantly return. Probably to find more to moan about and further slipping standards.

I drink a lot of tea. I'm not an expert, but I do know that Twinings is a more premium product than PG Tips and is a lot nicer to drink. I also like chocolate and the freebie chocolates of recent years aren't as nice as they used to be. They can't seem to decide whether they are milk chocolate or mint chocolate so have a strange 'somewhere in between' taste, but are more akin to baking chocolate than, say, Cadburys Dairy Milk. The freebie drinks at the priority boarders lunches and Captains Drinks parties etc are now cheap and not very nice plonk. The fizz is about as far removed from Chamapge as a sparkling wine can be and leaves an unpleasant after taste (as does the white - the red is passable).

So, are all these things (and others) cost cutting? Of course they are. It would be naive to think otherwise. But do they prevent me from cruising with P&O? No. Personally, I would rather pay a little more and have more premium products, but I understand that in these highly competitive, cost sensitive times, that isn't going to happen. They certainly aren't significant enough issues to make me switch cruise operator. But, then again, I'm someone who doesn't get upset by the pillows going on the floor when the steward makes the beds, so perhaps I'm not a good barometer :)

I drink a lot of tea. I'm not an expert, but I do know that Twinings is a more premium product than PG Tips and is a lot nicer to drink. I also like chocolate and the freebie chocolates of recent years aren't as nice as they used to be. They can't seem to decide whether they are milk chocolate or mint chocolate so have a strange 'somewhere in between' taste, but are more akin to baking chocolate than, say, Cadburys Dairy Milk. The freebie drinks at the priority boarders lunches and Captains Drinks parties etc are now cheap and not very nice plonk. The fizz is about as far removed from Chamapge as a sparkling wine can be and leaves an unpleasant after taste (as does the white - the red is passable).

So, are all these things (and others) cost cutting? Of course they are. It would be naive to think otherwise. But do they prevent me from cruising with P&O? No. Personally, I would rather pay a little more and have more premium products, but I understand that in these highly competitive, cost sensitive times, that isn't going to happen. They certainly aren't significant enough issues to make me switch cruise operator. But, then again, I'm someone who doesn't get upset by the pillows going on the floor when the steward makes the beds, so perhaps I'm not a good barometer :)

I do like the Twinings Breakfast, but PG Tips isn't the end of the world. The best tea ever was Whittard's Irish Breakfast - now there was a brew! - but they only produced it for a short time then discontinued it. :loudcry:

Have you tried Cadbury's Dairy Milk recently, Selbourne? It is a shadow of it what it used to be since Kraft took over. I got DH to get me some in a cake-making emergency and it has so little cocoa in it, it is virtually unusable. Doesn't taste good either.

I do like the Twinings Breakfast, but PG Tips isn't the end of the world. The best tea ever was Whittard's Irish Breakfast - now there was a brew! - but they only produced it for a short time then discontinued it. :loudcry:

Have you tried Cadbury's Dairy Milk recently, Selbourne? It is a shadow of it what it used to be since Kraft took over. I got DH to get me some in a cake-making emergency and it has so little cocoa in it, it is virtually unusable. Doesn't taste good either.

Not tried Whittard's Irish Breakfast. We use Yorkshire tea at home. I'm sure you are correct about Cadbury's, but I prefer Galaxy :D What I have noticed is how much smaller chocolate bars get every few years. The gaps between the chunks gets bigger and bigger, so the weight of the chocolate falls. Does the price fall? Of course not - it goes up! Is this another example of cost cutting? Of course it is (driven in that case, to be fair, by rising raw material prices). But, what do we get told? It's all to help us eat more healthily. Yeah, right. As I say, we would be naive in the extreme to think that P&O were the only modern business not to be constantly looking at ways to shave off costs and the scale that they operate on means that a few pence here and there adds up to millions of pounds quite quickly. Much as I would prefer to pay more for a better product, that ain't gonna happen, but of course the positive is that we enjoy cheaper prices for our cruises. I've just booked one of the new 2019 cruises and the price per night is the cheapest we have paid in 10 years. So there are two sides to every story!

We;re lucky in the UK,have you tried the Aussie Cadburys,its revolting,lol.

We;re lucky in the UK,have you tried the Aussie Cadburys,its revolting,lol.

I had some Aussie chocolate when I spent 3 months over there. It was oh so awful it put me off chocolate even after I returned to the Uk... think it was a year before I could face any!!!

I believe they add something to it to stop it melting quickly in the heat. I will never ever have Aussie choc ever again.

Cheap plonk, cheaper tea,suspicious tasting chocolates and bedding placed on the floor. Ah This is the Life.:D

In the package holiday days of the 1970s our courier was asked by some disappointed holidaymakers why the Germans got better hotels with better food. It was she replied, because they paid more for their holidays. They expected quality and were prepared to pay a fair price for it. We wanted it as cheap as possible, and then complained when we got what we paid for. You could not have the cake and the halfpenny.

Cruising is no different. If you want quality to be maintained you will have to be prepared to pay more. If low prices are your priority, you will have to accept cutbacks to keep prices low. You cannot have it both ways.

That's exactly right.

I know it take a long time for the pigeon to get down under but the sail away fizz is still available. You still get your sheet of paper in the cabin only on this occasion they were delayed being put in the cabins. No panic. And there is still a chocolate on the bed every night.

You can rest easy now.

:). :).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks dai, I received the semaphore signal, ah, choccies and fizz still going hopefully, next June/July.:p 34 nights on Adonia, another 68 choccies for the grandkids, plus a few more from the short Sapphire Princess cruise - pre Adonia B2B. Always declare them at Sydney Airport, the Quarantine dogs love to sniff out cruise company chocs.

I had some Aussie chocolate when I spent 3 months over there. It was oh so awful it put me off chocolate even after I returned to the Uk... think it was a year before I could face any!!!

I believe they add something to it to stop it melting quickly in the heat. I will never ever have Aussie choc ever again.

I do believe Cadbury in Australia put in an anti melting agent. We buy our chocolate in Aldi, same stuff as you get in UK, made in Belgium, Germany, Holland, where ever and very nice too.:halo:

I do believe Cadbury in Australia put in an anti melting agent. We buy our chocolate in Aldi, same stuff as you get in UK, made in Belgium, Germany, Holland, where ever and very nice too.:halo:

Ahh, shall remember that if I'm lucky enough to return, I'll go to Aldi! Though when I was in the Outback I had little choice... that's where I went off chocolate and found the delight of your jelly 'snakes'... :D

Couldn't agree more Denarius. If pax want considerably higher standards then they are of course free to sail with Oeania, Regent, Silverseas, Crystal, Viking, Seabourne etc. They might find the prices just a little higher mind you...:D

Couldn't have put it any better myself Selbourne - not that I get priority boarding plonk :). I always ask for a glass of fizz at the Captain's bash. It is only Prosecco of course but it is better than the cheap wine or watery G&T. Of course, the Twinings they used on board was the 'everyday' Twinings, which is probably only marginally better quality tea than PG Tips.

Prosecco IMO is just as good as champagne,its just made somewhere else.

Certainly can be Brian. I like some Champagnes but I am not a champagne snob. Whilst I enjoy a glass of Lanson or Taittinger, I equally enjoy a nice glass of Prosecco.

Certainly can be Brian. I like some Champagnes but I am not a champagne snob. Whilst I enjoy a glass of Lanson or Taittinger, I equally enjoy a nice glass of Prosecco.

'fraid I don't like Champagne or Prosecco...doesn't agree with me....makes me burp :o