Thailand - Chiang Rai (Golden Triangle)

Cruzer Two

JfuFPTMvL2s

Ops! I meant to post this video of Chiang Rai to the Cruise Video section. It contains the high lights of Chiang Rai, the Golden Triangle area of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar, that includes hill tribe villages to see the long-neck women and a border crossing into Myanmar to visit a Nunnery for Pink Nuns.

That is brilliant, thank you very much for sharing.

We were considering a holiday to Thailand, including a long stay in Chiang Mai to do day trips, but this makes me think we probably need a car and driver to tour. How did you travel - was it an organised land tour?

Yangon is a distance away so was that in the same tour as Chiang Rai?

That is brilliant, thank you very much for sharing.

We were considering a holiday to Thailand, including a long stay in Chiang Mai to do day trips, but this makes me think we probably need a car and driver to tour. How did you travel - was it an organised land tour?

Yangon is a distance away so was that in the same tour as Chiang Rai?

Thanks for the nice comments on the videos. Our tour of Thailand started with 3 days in Bangkok with a private driver and guide provided by TourWithTong https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293916-d1580840-Reviews-Tour_with_Tong-Bangkok.html. Then we joined our Gate1 tour that started in Bangkok. We then visited the ancient towns of Ayutthaya, Sukhothai and headed north to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. I don’t think TourWithTong would do private tours of Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, since she mainly concentrates on the areas around Bangkok. We had a great time visiting Thailand and meeting some really wonderful people. I highly recommend a visit to this wonderful country. The only place we visited in Myanmar was a border town in the Golden Triangle. We did not make it you Yangon.

Thanks for the nice comments on the videos. Our tour of Thailand started with 3 days in Bangkok with a private driver and guide provided by TourWithTong https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293916-d1580840-Reviews-Tour_with_Tong-Bangkok.html. Then we joined our Gate1 tour that started in Bangkok. We then visited the ancient towns of Ayutthaya, Sukhothai and headed north to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. I don’t think TourWithTong would do private tours of Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, since she mainly concentrates on the areas around Bangkok. We had a great time visiting Thailand and meeting some really wonderful people. I highly recommend a visit to this wonderful country. The only place we visited in Myanmar was a border town in the Golden Triangle. We did not make it you Yangon.

Thanks for the reply.

I must have been mistaken, I thought the golden pagoda was the one in Yangon. We are looking at a land holiday in Thailand and are thinking of spending up to a week in each of Bangkok and Chiang Mai with a flight between, then move on to a beach. We could then get a car/driver and if necessary spend a night away from one or more of our hotel bases to see more distant places. The only place you went to that looks out of that range is Sukhothai, as Ayutthaya looks within range of Bangkok, (well traffic permitting.....). Would we miss much in the ancient towns?

I know we are looking to spend long times in two places, but we like to just mooch about to get a feel for a place and take time to relax (we like rooftop pools in cities) as well as "doing the sites". Tour groups are not for us, we like lazy starts to the day.

EDIT - Just looked at Google Earth and realise you did a much wider tour, so will have to look again and talk to a TA regards what to book.

Edited by tring

• 2 weeks later...

We have been looking at booking a land holiday which would include this area of Northern Thailand and also Chiang Mai. There seems to be a lot of reports of pollution which is caused by burning Paddy/farm fields after harvest which gets particularly bad after late February in those areas. I understand there is also a lot of waste burned e.g. plastic etc. that causes problems at all times of year. I am asthmatic and have very dry eyes so could suffer really badly with that.

Can I ask if you encountered these sort of problems during your tour?

We would also like to spend time in the Mandalay/Bagan area of Myanmar and it seems it can be bad there as well, but we are not sure if it would be as bad as Northern Thailand.

We have been looking at booking a land holiday which would include this area of Northern Thailand and also Chiang Mai. There seems to be a lot of reports of pollution which is caused by burning Paddy/farm fields after harvest which gets particularly bad after late February in those areas. I understand there is also a lot of waste burned e.g. plastic etc. that causes problems at all times of year. I am asthmatic and have very dry eyes so could suffer really badly with that.

Can I ask if you encountered these sort of problems during your tour?

We would also like to spend time in the Mandalay/Bagan area of Myanmar and it seems it can be bad there as well, but we are not sure if it would be as bad as Northern Thailand.

We did not find an pollution problems in Northern Thailand during middle of February nor did we see any burning. However, there are millions of motor scooters in Bangkok, just like most large cities in Asia, so there was some exhaust pollution, but it wasn't enough to bother us. However, I don't have any breathing problems!

We did not find an pollution problems in Northern Thailand during middle of February nor did we see any burning. However, there are millions of motor scooters in Bangkok, just like most large cities in Asia, so there was some exhaust pollution, but it wasn't enough to bother us. However, I don't have any breathing problems!

Thank you for that information, it is very useful.

Exhaust pollution is a nuisance, but not as bad for me as when there are particles in the air, so burning would be more of a problem, especially for my eyes. If mid Feb was ok though we should be fine as we hope to go in late January or early February. I think March is worse - but we will see.

• 1 month later...
If you plan on staying overnight in Chang Rai, I heartily recommend Le Meridien Chiang Rai - wonderful hotel.

Agreed! We were delightfully surprised that a group tour would stay in such a beautiful hotel.