Eastern Europe 2019

rubinstein2r

Planning for Eastern Europe Danube cruise. Have done Uniworld on Rhine and liked it so considering that line as well as Avalon which has a 2 day land extension in Romania. Looking for recommendations from cruisers with experience on these lines or others in Eastern Europe. Also weather related recommendations. We usually travel in Sept or Oct but am concerned it may be cold already for sitting out on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be going on Uniworld’s Highlights of Eastern Europe (Bucharest to Budapest) in Oct. and promise you a day by day review after that. Some people have already posted about this trip, but I’m anxious to read a comprehensive day by day if there is one from a past passenger!

Planning for Eastern Europe Danube cruise. Have done Uniworld on Rhine and liked it so considering that line as well as Avalon which has a 2 day land extension in Romania. Looking for recommendations from cruisers with experience on these lines or others in Eastern Europe. Also weather related recommendations. We usually travel in Sept or Oct but am concerned it may be cold already for sitting out on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the 10-day Bucharest to Budapest last year on Uniworld. Spent first 2 days at the Radisson Blu in Bucharest. The only day we spent any amt. of time on the deck was the day we went thru the Iron Gates. Yes, it was cold and windy at the end of October, but we just wrapped ourselves in blankets and enjoyed the view. Visiting Dracula's tomb at that time of year put me in the mood for Halloween. :evilsmile:

Roz

We did Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe last year Bucharest to Budapest. We thoroughly enjoyed it. If you get to Bucharest be sure to book an extension to Transyvania. It was the highlight of our trip. We used a private guide highly rated on Trip Advisor. After about five calls to our rep at Viking trying to get on Viking's extension which was full, the rep suggested Trip Advisor. We used Viking's air deviation and flew in at the same time as Viking's extension. Our tour was just the two of us and the guide. We got into many places the big bus could not go. Fabulous!

We also did Budapest to Passau. The scenery from Bucharest to Budapest is far more spectacular in our opinion. Iron Gate is amazing in Serbia and the places we went to in Bulgaria were beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!

So it seems that on this itinerary we visit 5 countries each with its own set of included excursions to choose from. Will be doing a lot of research, but if there is an outstanding not to be missed excursion can you let us know. I realize it mostly depends on one’s interest and physical ability, but would still value opinions...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're going on Uniworld’s Highlights of Eastern Europe (Bucharest to Budapest) in July. This will be our first cruise ever!!

We're getting to Romania 2 days early and have visit Transylvania and a take food tour in Bucharest. We're also staying in Budapest for 2 more days post cruise, then taking the train to Berlin to visit a good friend (stopping in Bratislava for a night).

Wish we could spend more time in Europe, love it there!

• 2 weeks later...

We did Bucharest to Budapest with Viking a few years ago... had very hot weather at the end of April, but really enjoyed the trip.

We are doing Eastern Europe again with Avalon in October of this year --> but this time we do get to Transylvania. Also, we board closer to the Black Sea so will start at Km 0 and see a portion of the Danube we didn't see the 1st time.

There are options for the included tours at almost every stop - so, while we are cruising the same river, it will not be the same trip.

We have cruised with Uniworld a number of times - and they are amazing. However, the price point jumped when they went all inclusive so haven't travelled with them for a few years. This upcoming trip will be our 14th river cruise.

Enjoy!!

Fran

We just finished our Bucharest to Amsterdam Viking River Cruise. Viking took our passports when we boarded and passports were inspected and stamped. When we entered Hungary immigration officials boarded the ship at 6AM. We had get up (some passengers still in sleep clothes or robes) to present ourselves so that Hungarian officials could match our faces with our passports. All passengers and crew had to comply. According to Viking staff matching faces to passports in Hungary has been done for the past two or three years. This practice may be due Hungary's reaction to the European migrant crisis.