Royal Princess Poop Deck

SugarLand58

My wife and I just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Royal Princess in the Med

Unfortunately we had a suite that had a plumbing issue and we literally had the smell of raw sewage until the last 2 days:(

They kept claiming it was from the bathroom not being clean, or a faulty seal on the toilet etc but eventually a ships officer told us that there was a ship wide issue with the water system and that it needed to be “flushed” once they did the “flushing” the smell of raw sewage dissipated

They did offer us compensation of a bottle of wine not to exceed $32.00 which we kindly refused. :o

Is there an advocate (we used American Express Platinum Travel to book)

Am I swimming upstream of is there something that can be done to get either a refund or a “free”trip for what we suffered

We spent apx $20,000 for this trip we planned almost a year ago

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I think a $32.00 bottle of wine is more than sufficient. How was your cruise impacted other than a "smell" Crying "foul" sounds like you want to be compensated for something that just happens....Opens the sliding door or go on deck..or next time get some VIPoo,to cover any smells.

More than an occasional whiff of 'Raw Sewage' is more than just a smell.

And, for almost two full weeks. : (

I would agree that Princess should have taken steps to correct and alleviate the problem.

The extent of the problem and the extended time-frame would def. be an issue for me.

Would I expect a full refund? Well, no.

But, trying to be evasive about the problem while it persists... day after day...

And, the impact that it would have had, for me personally.

A cheap bottle of wine.. ( Maybe something I could buy here for @20.00 )

NOT okay.

Am I swimming upstream of is there something that can be done to get either a refund or a “free”trip for what we suffered

First, you need to be a LOT more forceful about the issue while onboard. If you were willing to stay in your cabin for the duration, it wasn't so bad as to expect a refund or free trip. And $20k for a 14-day trip? What all are you counting in that? Did you find some special deal where you could sleep in the captain's private suite? If you're counting anything besides the base fare, forget it, you don't have a leg to stand on.

I think a $32.00 bottle of wine is more than sufficient. .
I disagree. 12 days of smelling poop on a vacation for which you ponied up $20K? A $32 bottle of wine which we don't even drink wouldn't come anywhere close to compensating for this problem.

P.S. I have an extremely sensitive nose.

My wife and I just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Royal Princess in the Med

Unfortunately we had a suite that had a plumbing issue and we literally had the smell of raw sewage until the last 2 days:(

They kept claiming it was from the bathroom not being clean, or a faulty seal on the toilet etc but eventually a ships officer told us that there was a ship wide issue with the water system and that it needed to be “flushed” once they did the “flushing” the smell of raw sewage dissipated

They did offer us compensation of a bottle of wine not to exceed $32.00 which we kindly refused. :o

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Wow a free cruise????.....welcome to Cruise Critic.

What suite #.

Sadly my wife has to share a cabin with "an old poop" every cruise. ;p

I can agree that a "raw sewage" smell is not to be tolerated but I would have been pretty adamant about the issue being addressed while onboard. I'm unclear how one spends $20k on a 14 day Princess cruise. Perhaps the OP is including airfare and hotels in that cost? Kenneling the dog?? No idea. It's definitely not just the cost of the cruise.

The one time we have ever had an issue raised to the HQ Customer Service level was also on the Royal Princess (soot making an owners suite balcony unusable and stained carpeting in the suite) we started with registering our complaint on board. They offered a paltry OBC and were not surprised when we turned it down. They then offered to open a complaint number with HQ customer service. When we returned I provided customer service an email noting the already open complaint number and calmly described the issues. Within 2 weeks (and this was over the Christmas holidays) HQ Customer Service proposed a substantial OBC for a future cruise (which we already had booked) that matched exactly what I had mind (mind you I was not trying to get a free cruise; I just wanted acknowledgement that a sizeable portion of the owner's suite wasn't usable for most of the cruise).

The moral of this story is politely complain to passenger services while on the ship, request that they open a complaint number with HQ Customer Service, take pictures (depending on the issue obviously) and keep a timeline (who you spoke with, when, results), and then submit a calm, straightforward complaint to HQ Customer Service.

I'm unclear how one spends $20k on a 14 day Princess cruise. Perhaps the OP is including airfare and hotels in that cost? Kenneling the dog?? No idea. It's definitely not just the cost of the cruise.

I was recently unpleasantly surprised by the price of kenneling our dogs for our thanksgiving cruise. IT was a small fortune for a week (more than we are paying for the cruise per person). For two weeks it would, accordingly, cost us the same as our cruise.

I was recently unpleasantly surprised by the price of kenneling our dogs for our thanksgiving cruise. IT was a small fortune for a week (more than we are paying for the cruise per person). For two weeks it would, accordingly, cost us the same as our cruise.

Try rover.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think that asking for compensation is unreasonable and a bottle of wine certainly wouldn't do it.

This was a ship-wide occurrence?

I once was in a suite where there was a foul "sewer" type of smell in the bathroom. My husband told me that it was possible that the drain for the tub (separate shower) might have gone dry. This is something that happened once in the tub of our guest bathroom. Here's a reason - drains trap water, creating a seal or barrier that will keep sewer gas out of your home. If one of these drains is rarely used, such as in a guest bathroom, the water creating the protective seal will eventually evaporate. This is a formula for trouble that can allow stinky sewer gas to seep in.

When I ran water into the suite's tub, then let it drain, it never happened again. Not saying that this was the cause but sometimes people don't use the tub in their suites and still only use the shower.

Is this yet another joke like the one about a $2000 cell phone bill that is being blamed on Princess?! These first post posts from people complaining about these things has me wondering if someone is just having fun posting these complaints that seem unrealistic! I could be wrong but I would be suspicious of threads like this one.

Something about this thread smells :)

Is this yet another joke like the one about a $2000 cell phone bill that is being blamed on Princess?! These first post posts from people complaining about these things has me wondering if someone is just having fun posting these complaints that seem unrealistic! I could be wrong but I would be suspicious of threads like this one.

Something about this thread smells :)

Dang, you beat me too it!!!!!:'):'):')

I think a $32.00 bottle of wine is more than sufficient. How was your cruise impacted other than a "smell" Crying "foul" sounds like you want to be compensated for something that just happens....Opens the sliding door or go on deck..or next time get some VIPoo,to cover any smells.

I bet you would be singing a different tune if it was your 20 grand.

Dealing with an offensive smell for 2 weeks is not acceptable. I would have asked about changing cabins while on board, even to a cheaper cabin... then may ask from a refund of the difference. Can't believe they could not have made some more meaningful accommodation. We were flooded out by kids letting a batht ube over flow... causing our room to need a blower for 2 days... we did not complain but were give a free dinner at the Crown Grill, which had already booked... that was fine... things do happen but certainly Princess could have done better in the Op's case. When they have a problem they can not immediately fix... they do tend to act like the problem does not exist... we had this happen several years ago when we made the mistake of booking a cabin under the pool deck and had the cleaning crew above us every morning at 4am... when we complained they acted like they did not know what were talking about... of course they did... sounded like some one was rolling a cannon across the deck above us from 4 to 6 am every day.

Just was thinking... Princess offered us an upgrade to a full suite on our TA on Royal in October ... which I passed on, since I was happy with my mini suite and did not want t spend $800 more... sound like I made the right decision...

I think I should have avoided the site tonight.....a $2,000 ATT Bill that was Princess' fault, a claim for a $20k free cabin and a revived 4 year old 'No' Royal promenade deck thread....

Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It sure shot the heck out of tonight on CC

I think I should have avoided the site tonight.....a $2,000 ATT Bill that was Princess' fault, a claim for a $20k free cabin and a revived 4 year old 'No' Royal promenade deck thread....

Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My thoughts exactly!!

I do tire of people on here that just want compensation for every thing that goes wrong, however in this case I think Princess should have done a lot more. I would have thought a few freebies like wine and a meal or two on the current cruise and a substantial OBC for a future cruise would have been appropriate.

I agree with the poster that questioned whether the OP was forceful enough.