How to get to Yokahama cruise terminal from Tokyo (Shinjuku)

lorri111

We were not able to, they had to have someone to sign for it.

Depending on when you send it you should be able to send it to Yokohama Station though, they have an office there that does luggage storage. We were going to do that but had issues at Narita with getting them to understand that was what we wanted to do, so ended up just storing our cruise stuff at an HIS office in Shinjuku (500Y per piece per day) for the week we traveled around Japan and picked it up when we got back to Tokyo.

We traveled from Shinjuku to Yokohama with 2 sling bags, 2 backpacks, 2 carry-on sized suitcases, and 2 max size suitcases. We used a cab from the hotel to the subway station and then took a direct train from there to the station a couple blocks from Yokohama with no problems. From there we actually walked with our luggage. The only difficulty was right at the end where you have a slight incline up to the entrance to the port. But you could also take a cab from the station to the port entrance.

The trick is to know where you are and if there is a direct route. Even if the direct route is only to Yokohama Station you can switch there or take a cab from there. Although cost for cab from Yokohama Station to port would be about 2,800Y.

Did you have any problems with storing luggage on the train, what day and time did you travel?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you have any problems with storing luggage on the train, what day and time did you travel?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don´t think this has been answered...

Most trains from Tokyo (Shinjuku, Tokyo Station etc.) to Yokohama are "subway style" trains. Meaning seating is along the sides of the train. So you just hold your luggage in front of you... or you go to the areas where the cars are connected where you have more room.

Some trains feature rows of two seats... so the connecting area is also a good idea.

I stayed with the luggage in that area and DW found a seat nearby - no problem for the time.

For pure comfort we took a taxi from Yokohama station to the port. Not expensive in IMHO worth the money.

We did this on May 6 so a Sunday. Probably around 10am. There is a small overhead rack area where we put small items, this is almost completely unused by most people, then we just kept the large cases in front of us.

This was also how we traveled on the NEX from Narita Airport to Shinjuku Station on Saturday April 28 in the afternoon. Train was packed for that but still plenty of room, and plenty of room for luggage.

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2017 at 1:50 AM, siggy55 said:

Can you tell me what the best time to catch Train at Shinjuku to go to port by 12.30 pm , thank you

Thanks for this very helpful info. Can you tell me if Tokyo station and Shinjuku are one and the same?

9 hours ago, Jackharry said:

Thanks for this very helpful info. Can you tell me if Tokyo station and Shinjuku are one and the same?

No, two different stations. The two largest stations in Tokyo.

22 hours ago, Jackharry said:

I used the app called Hyperdia on my phone and it was fabulous. It will allow you to enter departure and destination stations and give you the schedules with times and transfer stations and even the platform numbers. It gives real time  information so you can juggle your time. The trains are easy and efficient and station staff most helpful. Enjoy your trip and the cruise. Danny

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching for this same route by train.  It appears that there are routes not requiring a transfer from Shinjuku-Sanchome to Nihon-Odori.  Shinjuku-Sanchome is actually closer to our hotel than the main Shinjuku station.....and I believe will probably be easier to manage as well.  I used Hyperdia.com to locate the trains.  650 yen per ticket.  Since we depart on a Saturday it should be less crowded than a weekday, so we're going to try the train.

7 hours ago, ShawninFL said:

I've been searching for this same route by train.  It appears that there are routes not requiring a transfer from Shinjuku-Sanchome to Nihon-Odori.  Shinjuku-Sanchome is actually closer to our hotel than the main Shinjuku station.....and I believe will probably be easier to manage as well.  I used Hyperdia.com to locate the trains.  650 yen per ticket.  Since we depart on a Saturday it should be less crowded than a weekday, so we're going to try the train.

I think you are going to be just fine. When you exit, Nihon Odori station, walk towards Yokohama Bay direction. The pier and terminal is a leisurely 10 to 15 min walk if you have bags on wheels. If you have some spare time, you might like to visit the Red Brick area. It is opposite the cruise terminal and within easy walking distance too. Bon voyage, and hope your cruise is just as wonderful as mine was on the Diamond Princess, Danny

• Like 1

I meant to also say that if you are going to spend some time in Japan before/after your cruise, you might think about buying a Suica card, available at airport etc and you can use it on public transport by tapping on at first place of travel then tapping off when you get to your desitination. It saves lining up for tickets etc and you can top up at 7 eleven and other corner shops. I found it most convenient and can be used to buy groceries etc as well. It is like a plastic card with credit for your transport needs Danny

We are cruising with Princess from Yokohama on 23rd August. We arrive at Tokyo (N) airport the evening before . We were advised by a Japanese friend to use the Limo Bus service from to Airport to YCAT. So we booked a hotel with a free shuttle service to the hotel when we land and will use it to return to the airport on 23rd and then use the Limo Bus to YCAT.