Special Needs at Sea: Pickup device at Port of Miami Terminal B

kokopelli-az

I have a transport chair reserved from Special Needs at Sea for a Sept 30 cruise on NCL's Escape out of Miami.

The confirmation documents from Special Needs at Sea specify I am to pick up the transport chair at the Port of Miami Terminal B (and return it there, too).

First of all, I am assuming the Escape will be docked at Terminal B and secondly, what type of set-up does Special Needs at Sea have at Terminal B so I can locate them (ie, a kiosk or something...)?

Edited by kokopelli-az
clarify

Not sure what you mean by "what set up". Can you be a little more specific as to what you need please. I do have a question though for you. Is there a reason for renting a transport chair instead of a wheel chair? Do you realize you cannot wheel yourself anywhere and someone in your party (spouse) will have to push you 24/7?

Not sure what you mean by "what set up". Can you be a little more specific as to what you need please. I do have a question though for you. Is there a reason for renting a transport chair instead of a wheel chair? Do you realize you cannot wheel yourself anywhere and someone in your party (spouse) will have to push you 24/7?
By "set up" I meant is there a kiosk or area with a sign where Special Needs at Sea is set up in Terminal B where people pick up their rental equipment? It's a big terminal so I was just wanting to know what to look for.

The transport chair is for my husband. He has a Nitro rollator of his own that is fine, except when his legs get tired. After he gets tired of walking, I will push him in the transport chair. He had a wheelchair previously on another ship but he wants to try the transport chair (he tried out one at our local mobility store and he decided that was what he wanted to use on this cruise). We will be on the ship most of the time.

I have a transport chair reserved from Special Needs at Sea for a Sept 30 cruise on NCL's Escape out of Miami.

The confirmation documents from Special Needs at Sea specify I am to pick up the transport chair at the Port of Miami Terminal B (and return it there, too).

First of all, I am assuming the Escape will be docked at Terminal B and secondly, what type of set-up does Special Needs at Sea have at Terminal B so I can locate them (ie, a kiosk or something...)?

SpecialNeedsatSea does have kiosk's at a few select ports. I It would serve you better to contact SpecialNeedsatSea as to the specific location rather than to post on this forum.

SpecialNeedsatSea does have kiosk's at a few select ports. I It would serve you better to contact SpecialNeedsatSea as to the specific location rather than to post on this forum.

Thank you everyone. I have already been notified by Special Needs at Sea that the transport chair needs to be picked up and returned to Terminal B (Port of Miami) (NCL Escape). I was asking whether anyone who possibly has picked up equipment from them at the terminal in Miami knew if there was a kiosk or sign or something in Terminal B directing people to the Special Needs at Sea area. I just wanted to know what to be on the look out for so I could easily locate the Special Needs at Sea area.

xxoocruiser says they have a kiosk so I will be on the lookout.

PS: Special Needs at Sea told me that specifically for the Escape, equipment is picked up in the terminal. It is not delivered to your room.

just so he/you know: a transport chair sucks for anything more involved than going from say the car to the room. he will not be able to self propel/move himself, the smaller wheels make it more difficult to push over carpeting and up ramps and they are harder on the person doing the pushing. furthermore they are NOT comfortable for anything more than 15-20 minute stretches at a time.

We used Special Needs at Sea last September for a wheelchair when we boarded the Getaway last September.

Several things to consider:

Contact NCLs Access Team prior to cruising. They will make sure your cards are at terminal B. Once you do this, make sure you go to Terminal B even if your docs say to go to Terminal C.

A Special Needs at Sea rep was stationed right inside the terminal and he had the wheelchairs right past the security checkpoint. The guy was extremely helpful.

In the past when we’ve cruised other lines, the wheelchairs were already in the rooms but I liked this set up better. It was nice to have someone there to answer any questions we may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is Dodge Island, Port of Miami. Along the top you see ships; NCL always uses the far right berth. At the stern of the ship you see an orange rectangle with CT C and CT B. Those are Cruise Terminal B & C. CT B is where you will check in and pick up the chair. EM

enhance

This is Dodge Island, Port of Miami. Along the top you see ships; NCL always uses the far right berth. At the stern of the ship you see an orange rectangle with CT C and CT B. Those are Cruise Terminal B & C. CT B is where you will check in and pick up the chair. EM

Yes, Terminal B is where we have been instructed to pick up the transport chair. Thank you so much.

We used Special Needs at Sea last September for a wheelchair when we boarded the Getaway last September.

Several things to consider:

Contact NCLs Access Team prior to cruising. They will make sure your cards are at terminal B. Once you do this, make sure you go to Terminal B even if your docs say to go to Terminal C.

A Special Needs at Sea rep was stationed right inside the terminal and he had the wheelchairs right past the security checkpoint. The guy was extremely helpful.

In the past when we’ve cruised other lines, the wheelchairs were already in the rooms but I liked this set up better. It was nice to have someone there to answer any questions we may have.

Thank you! I thought the idea of picking up the chair in the terminal was a better idea than having it in the room, too.

• 2 months later...

As an update to this thread, we were picking up my husband's transport chair from Special Needs in Terminal B at MIA. There was no kiosk, sign or anything in the terminal indicating where to pick up Special Needs at Sea equipment. We finally, actually by accident, discovered the man from Special Needs. He had us wait a little while and came back with our transport chair. We then had one of the wheelchair pushers from the ship push it (and my husband) from the terminal to the atrium area in the ship.

Disembarking: since we were supposed to leave our transport chair in the terminal (not the room) we ran into the same situation. There was no obvious place to leave the transport chair. We started asking employees where to leave it and no one really knew. When we finally got out of the terminal, nearly to the taxis, we discovered a corral that had been set up and there were already 3-4 Special Needs scooters left there, so we assumed this was the place. There wasn't anyone there to take our transport chair so we just left it in the corral.

Picking up and leaving the transport chair in the terminal sounded like a good idea but now I think it would have been better to have had it waiting in the room.