Water Taxi to Stone Island in Mazatlan.

mearsfansinboise

I'm reading about this here on the boards - (thanks for the information) - we've never done this before and it sounds easy, and cheap. But the water taxi ride itself ... bumpy ... safe .... smooth? Same as being on one of the tenders in Cabo for example?

Edited by mearsfansinboise

It's been 8 years since we did this but we enjoyed it so much. Perhaps there is now a real water taxi from the port to Stone Island but then we walked about 4 blocks from the port to the "water taxi" . Then it was a small fishing boat with just the"captain", my DH and I. The Captain put on his life vest which was very disconcerting so we put on ours. We crossed a small inlet that was flat as glass. The whole trip took 5 minutes. It was the day after Easter and around 10am so the beach was empty. The little shacks along the beach were just beginning to open and clean up after the celebrations the day before. We walked about 3/4 of the way down the beach to a recommended place. I think the name was "Vinny's" and it was wonderful. They set us up with a table, lounge chairs, and an umbrella. We started with some eggs and juice and coffee and then graduated to beer, water and the most incredible, enormous shrimp we had ever tasted. We swam and snorkeled and enjoyed the sunshine. There were clean bathrooms on site and an open-air but covered palapa where they cooked and served food. Not may people on the beach that Monday. After about 5 hours we made our way back by the "water taxi" to the ship. We still can't believe the the cost for the entire day of food, drink, equipment, and transport was less then $60. Highly recommend doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes , you can still rent them , I will be in Mazatlán Feb. 10, 2017 on the Westerdam

Thanks -- We were hoping it hadn't changed

We'll be there on Feb 3rd -- also the Westerdam -- We'll be back again on the Ruby Princess November 15th

We'll bump into each other one of these days --- we'll look for the hat ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has recent info on where to rent ATVs on Stone Island and cost I would appreciate it.

Also - do you know min age for ATV? We have teenagers on this trip and wondering if they have to ride with us or let them ride their own.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We took a water taxi to Stone Island about 6 months ago with our two daughters, ages 5 and 6. It was part of a tour that we booked outside of the cruise line, so the tour guide facilitated everything for us and was with us every step of the way. It was simple enough that I'd feel comfortable going it on our own next time, even with the littles. The ride itself was smooth and a fun experience. We never felt unsafe. Our tour guide told us that life vests are required by law and that the taxi operator is subject to huge fines if even one person is not wearing one. It was pretty obvious that it was all for "show", since our taxi was full of locals and none of them bothered to even clip their vests closed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/9/2017 at 5:03 AM, GTVCRUISER said:

I have been to Stone Island many times , last time 3 weeks ago

mazatlansisign10-15.JPG.c414e73fe9a642c2710384cd116f7fca.JPG

mazgarsibest12-16.jpg.1aef827a0d6df15d1f4b3d378232279a.jpg

mazstoneismolkasignback16.jpg.dcfe5cce75489c00546274fe32eb1bbe.jpg

mazatlanstoneislandbest.jpg.6606d2d892dfc96a050ad0a7a8dd49c8.jpg

I know this is old, but I've seen you post many times on Mexico. Do you know if there are surf board rentals or surf schools on Stone Island? I read some sites from searching Google that stone island has decent surfing. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:18 PM, whataboutport said:

I know this is old, but I've seen you post many times on Mexico. Do you know if there are surf board rentals or surf schools on Stone Island? I read some sites from searching Google that stone island has decent surfing. 

My husband body surfs there and usually can find good enough waves for that. I have never seen actual surfers...