What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

From the official Terms:

You may revise or cancel your Offer through the hyperlink on the offer email before 48 hours of your departure, provided that your Offer has not already been accepted by Norwegian Cruise Line and provided your credit card has not been charged. However, if your Offer is accepted before you cancel or amend your Offer, you are legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in your original Offer.

Hello all and thanks in advance. So I'm not 100% clear how the bidding works. How do I go about this in NCL site? Me and the wife are getting ready to book the Breakaway leaving from NYC end of April 17'. Any tips advice would be great..thanks again. Much appreciated.

Once you book they will e-mail with you an upgrade offer about 60 days before your cruise.

I think that you may be able to call and request an e-mail to start the bidding process.

Here is a question. I am traveling alone and I have a balcony booked on a cruise (not leaving anytime soon) do you think they would offer a bid to someone traveling in a balcony room (BA) alone or do you think they would make offers to couples / multi travelers in a room? And is there really any need for a single traveler to try to get a Haven room? A spa suite would be nice.

Would anyone know if you booked a balcony guarantee cabin without an assignment recieved at the time you received the email to bid on an upgrade and then a few days after the bid you are assigned a regular balcony cabin - will there still be a possibility of getting the upgrade?

I hope this makes sense?

Here is a question. I am traveling alone and I have a balcony booked on a cruise (not leaving anytime soon) do you think they would offer a bid to someone traveling in a balcony room (BA) alone or do you think they would make offers to couples / multi travelers in a room? And is there really any need for a single traveler to try to get a Haven room? A spa suite would be nice.

We are in a BA and we got the e-mail to bid.

They only charge for the first 2 passengers...even if there are more than 2.

The question is what if there is only one?

Would anyone know if you booked a balcony guarantee cabin without an assignment recieved at the time you received the email to bid on an upgrade and then a few days after the bid you are assigned a regular balcony cabin - will there still be a possibility of getting the upgrade?

I hope this makes sense?

Yes.

You are now like everyone else who has an assigned cabin.

Congrats to all those who had their bids accepted! I upped mine into the low fair area with 44 days to go. I am guessing at this point -with one room left in that category (Aft Penthouse) - you would have to go far above that to get selected earlier and there will likely be one person who is willing to pay a lot more, even the week before. And that won't be me. lol.

I'm admittedly too lazy to look but I thought that NCL was making the bid process fleetwide this month or next and that going forward, you could only upbid one category going forward, meaning you'd have to book a mini-suite to be able to bid on the Haven. That makes sense as I am sure they have plenty of mini-suite people willing to bid on most sailings.

We are in a BA and we got the e-mail to bid.

They only charge for the first 2 passengers...even if there are more than 2.

The question is what if there is only one?

Yes.

You are now like everyone else who has an assigned cabin.

Thanks so much!

Yes they will. You would bid as if there were two people though.

Congrats to all those who had their bids accepted! I upped mine into the low fair area with 44 days to go. I am guessing at this point -with one room left in that category (Aft Penthouse) - you would have to go far above that to get selected earlier and there will likely be one person who is willing to pay a lot more, even the week before. And that won't be me. lol.

I'm admittedly too lazy to look but I thought that NCL was making the bid process fleetwide this month or next and that going forward, you could only upbid one category going forward, meaning you'd have to book a mini-suite to be able to bid on the Haven. That makes sense as I am sure they have plenty of mini-suite people willing to bid on most sailings.

Actually, you can bid up TWO categories from your original booking. I received my email allowing me to bid on either a balcony or a mini-suite (or both) from my originally booked inside cabin.

You will get an email after your booked. As long as you are booking directly with NCL. Some travel agents participate but it doesn't seem like many.

You will need to be originally booked in a balcony or higher to be offered haven for bidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I booked on Expedia, and was offered the upgrade email. Just an FYI for anyone who booked on an OTA!

Actually, you can bid up TWO categories from your original booking. I received my email allowing me to bid on either a balcony or a mini-suite (or both) from my originally booked inside cabin.

Yes, you can now. I am, saying soon that will not be the case. It will be one when the program rolls our fleetwide.

Yes, you can now. I am, saying soon that will not be the case. It will be one when the program rolls our fleetwide.

Everything I have seen has said you could bid on next two categories above your current cabin. I hope that remains true as only one category isn't very interesting to many of us. I've picked out a specific cabin in my current category so making a bid on a random (non-Haven) cabin just isn't appealing.

Except that booking a haven room directly - not bidding for an upgrade - still carries much better perks. No tips, specialty dining for every meal each day, shore credits (if you didn't pick that to begin with), internet etc.

You are getting more for the increased price of a direct booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: you only get 250MB internet plan, on our Bermuda 7 day only two of the four of us would receive dining and only three of the 6 nights, and the shore excursion money is limited. Yes you get more, but not as much as one would be led to think or what used to be offered in the past. Hope this helps some making that decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI: you only get 250MB internet plan, on our Bermuda 7 day only two of the four of us would receive dining and only three of the 6 nights, and the shore excursion money is limited. Yes you get more, but not as much as one would be led to think or what used to be offered in the past. Hope this helps some making that decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If these are all things you will actually use / would have paid for anyway - it can be a significant amount of money.

2 people in a mid-ship balcony with SDP & ABP.....

Promo charges = $223.92 ( on dining and drinks package - don't pay these in full price haven)

Pre Paid Tips = $189.00 (no tips if booking haven directly)

250 minutes of internet = $125.00 (if purchased - since the 2 Free At Sea offers were used above)

4 ports credits = $200.00 ( not getting these on current booking because we chose dining and drinks)

Total of $737.92 for 2 people. When I am bidding I do take this into account - you can bet NCL does - when I'm looking at what a direct booking would cost I subtract this much from the cost of a direct booking and make sure I don't get near that price with my bids. If I did - I'm the sucker that would have been better off booking straight to haven.

Personally - I wouldn't dream of using the internet while on a ship, part of the reason we go on a cruise is so our phones can be put in the safe and not be retrieved until the morning we get off the ship. We also don't go to port on all port days and rarely book any excursion through the ship - so those 2 promotions are no value to us, but a lot of families would be able to take advantage of all 4 (5 if adding extra people to the room).

• 2 weeks later...
Is it correct if you bid and change to a Haven cabin/suite you lose your current perks and don't receive the perks that typically come with a Haven cabin (which is everything that is offered), or any for that matter?

We're in a balcony on a future cruise, and are getting UBP and free daily service charge. IF we receive the invitation, and IF it was accepted, does that mean we would no longer get UBP and need to pay the daily service charge (at the higher Haven rate)? ... even though a person booking a Haven cabin/suite on the website would get every perk offered on that day ( no matter how close to sailing).

Would REALLY like to hear from one of you who have sailed in a Haven cabin/suite after changing through the bid process, if possible, rather than just a reference to the fine print. We all know what happens in real life on ship can be different that what "it" (whatever "it"is) says.

We upgraded to the Haven on the Epic New Years and DID NOT lose our perks. We had drinks and tips and they didn't even make us pay the difference in tips for Haven. BEST WEEK EVER!!!! Can't wait to do it again.

May not make any sense but thought I would mention something to consider when submitting a bid on a Haven category suite. Not sure if I can explain it any better so this is my best shot on some bidding advice.

Based upon my recent experience I would recommend you only submit a bid on a cabin category you really want. I submitted bids on the 4 Haven category suites that I was offered. A week before sailing we received notice that our bid was accepted for an H6 (AFT Master Bedroom Suite). We really liked the suite but the Aft location left a lot to be desired.

During the cruise I was wondering if I had only submitted bids only on an H4, H5, H7 whether I may have actually received one of those rather than the H6.

My thinking (after the fact) was that if someone else had bid on any of the other cabins that equaled my bid (but they did not submit a bid on an H6), I was given the H6 by default while they received a cabin actually located in or closer to the Haven area since I may have been the highest bidder on the H6 and the other person may have equaled my bid on the other cabins without having submitted a bid on an H6.

If I had it to do over again I would not have submitted any bid on the H6 and taken my chances on only the cabins located in, or closer to,the Haven area at the same bid levels I submitted.

No regrets for having done it once but would be more selective in future bid processes.

May not make any sense but thought I would mention something to consider when submitting a bid on a Haven category suite. Not sure if I can explain it any better so this is my best shot on some bidding advice.

Based upon my recent experience I would recommend you only submit a bid on a cabin category you really want. I submitted bids on the 4 Haven category suites that I was offered. A week before sailing we received notice that our bid was accepted for an H6 (AFT Master Bedroom Suite). We really liked the suite but the Aft location left a lot to be desired.

During the cruise I was wondering if I had only submitted bids only on an H4, H5, H7 whether I may have actually received one of those rather than the H6.

My thinking (after the fact) was that if someone else had bid on any of the other cabins that equaled my bid (but they did not submit a bid on an H6), I was given the H6 by default while they received a cabin actually located in or closer to the Haven area since I may have been the highest bidder on the H6 and the other person may have equaled my bid on the other cabins without having submitted a bid on an H6.

If I had it to do over again I would not have submitted any bid on the H6 and taken my chances on only the cabins located in, or closer to,the Haven area at the same bid levels I submitted.

No regrets for having done it once but would be more selective in future bid processes.

Just curious as to why you did not like the H6? Was it just the location?

If these are all things you will actually use / would have paid for anyway - it can be a significant amount of money.

2 people in a mid-ship balcony with SDP & ABP.....

Promo charges = $223.92 ( on dining and drinks package - don't pay these in full price haven)

Pre Paid Tips = $189.00 (no tips if booking haven directly)

250 minutes of internet = $125.00 (if purchased - since the 2 Free At Sea offers were used above)

4 ports credits = $200.00 ( not getting these on current booking because we chose dining and drinks)

Total of $737.92 for 2 people. When I am bidding I do take this into account - you can bet NCL does - when I'm looking at what a direct booking would cost I subtract this much from the cost of a direct booking and make sure I don't get near that price with my bids. If I did - I'm the sucker that would have been better off booking straight to haven.

Personally - I wouldn't dream of using the internet while on a ship, part of the reason we go on a cruise is so our phones can be put in the safe and not be retrieved until the morning we get off the ship. We also don't go to port on all port days and rarely book any excursion through the ship - so those 2 promotions are no value to us, but a lot of families would be able to take advantage of all 4 (5 if adding extra people to the room).

where do you get no tips if booking haven? I just booked haven this week and tips are $15.00 a day instead of $13.50 a day