Carnival vs. RC

SpeedsterX

Bottom line for me is not so much the cruise line as it is a specific ship and its crew.

I do find overall that Carnival crew are more social, approachable and helpful, food is generally better, staterooms are a little bigger on average, and I've actually seen/heard some extremely good entertainment/music on Carnival. I would also say Carnival has a substantially better variety of itineraries, which means more to me the more I cruise.

After 7 sailings on CCL and 4 on RCL(plus-sister-Celebrity), I have no hesitation at all in casting my preference for Carnival.

On longer trips I prefer RCI, more things to do, unusual features, better theater shows, and I prefer dining room menus.

On shorter trips I enjoy Carnival. The atmosphere can be downright raucous around the pool, and the casual food choices - like deli and panini stations - are really what I'm looking for. When I want cheap and easy, it's my choice.

The comedy shows on Carnival are the best by far.

I have been meaning to share my recent CCL / RCI conclusions. For context I have sailed 60 days on Carnival, and 59 days on Royal. I just recently returned from a beautiful 9 night Royal cruise, and came away preferring carnival for most if not all of my future cruises. There were a lot of small negatives to the Royal cruise, but the two top issues, which I can't get past are:

1). There is a $7.95 + 18% gratuity for ALL room service orders, other than the continental breakfast offerings

2). The Viking Lounge, the flagship bar on every Royal ship, was closed to all but Diamond members every day from 4:00 - 8:00. That's BS

I cant get past these two issues ....

I’ve cruised 5 Carnival ships before trying other lines. I cruised 2 RCCL ships—The Indy and the Oasis. They both were way better than Carnival. Although we always had a great time on our Carnival cruises, we were blown away by those two RCCL ships. Then we tried NCL, and fell in love with the whole Freestyle Cruising concept. Sailing on the NCL Getaway again in 6 days. Once I return from it, I was booking on the Carnival Breeze. Now, I just read a review on another thread that states they had a sewer smell in their cabin. I’ve heard this happening on Carnival’s older ships, but not the Breeze. Now I’m hesitant to book with Carnival at all, but I have reward points with Carnival that I need to use up.

So, please don’t attack someone for giving their honest opinion. What is great for you, may not be for someone else. They are only giving THEIR opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do find overall that Carnival crew are more social, approachable and helpful,

This might represent a bit of the company's attitude and the overall crew.

When I did the Behind the Fun tour on the Vista two months ago, the Dance Captain told us that he had worked for a different line for several years, then came over to Carnival, and found that there was more of a "family" atmosphere amongst the crew, and they generally seemed happier. He sounded completely earnest and sincere, and we were all impressed by his candor.

food is generally better, staterooms are a little bigger on average, and I've actually seen/heard some extremely good entertainment/music on Carnival. I would also say Carnival has a substantially better variety of itineraries, which means more to me the more I cruise.

I concur with all of this.

Once I return from it, I was booking on the Carnival Breeze. Now, I just read a review on another thread that states they had a sewer smell in their cabin. I’ve heard this happening on Carnival’s older ships, but not the Breeze. Now I’m hesitant to book with Carnival at all, but I have reward points with Carnival that I need to use up.

Per our resident chief engineer, chengkp, this problem is easily remedied: just pour some water down every drain in your room (don't forget the shower drains). If the smell is in the hallway, ask your cabin steward to do the same in all nearby cabins and service areas. (The usual cause is that water has evaporated or sloshed out of the U-bend in the drain pipe.)

After reading more posts on this thread I find that I agree with most of you. Although my experience with crew on RCI has been almost universally positive. I do agree with an earlier contributor that many RCI passengers are snobby and really look down on Carnival and their passengers. Food offerings are very subjective, but I think RCI offers more premium restaurants and encourages their use sometimes at the lessening of the MDR experience And the premium offerings have been uniformly outstanding. I enjoyed reading all of your thoughts.

It's subjective - I have never been attracted to a RCL cruise because, in my view, they make the ship the destination. It would not matter which ports it went to because the whole point of the vacation is being on the ship. So they pack more nice stuff onboard, and you pay a premium for that.

We choose a cruise based on the destination. Hopefully we get off the ship a lot and explore the ports. Onboard all we ask for is decent food, a good room location, and we're happy to be there. Having a smaller ship is a bonus.

Lots of other people have different views and expectations. Perhaps if you don't really like going ashore at the ports, or want the latest amenities onboard, then a newer and larger ship would be worth the premium.

RCL is much better.

It sure is!

Everyone has their own opinion on what line they like. All have pros and cons. Why are you on Carnival board if you prefer RCL?

Why not? Sometimes some early morning humor is fun when I'm bored.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree... That poster appears to always be more negative.... I have noticed he leaves his mark on almost every lines forum.... and his/her responses are usually short. That should tell you something!

That's what makes it fun to read, especially all the responses afterward.

I have been meaning to share my recent CCL / RCI conclusions. For context I have sailed 60 days on Carnival, and 59 days on Royal. I just recently returned from a beautiful 9 night Royal cruise, and came away preferring carnival for most if not all of my future cruises. There were a lot of small negatives to the Royal cruise, but the two top issues, which I can't get past are:

1). There is a $7.95 + 18% gratuity for ALL room service orders, other than the continental breakfast offerings

Cold eggs from room service was never very appealing, but coffee and Danish is still free in the morning. I do agree the charge is a little excessive.

2). The Viking Lounge, the flagship bar on every Royal ship, was closed to all but Diamond members every day from 4:00 - 8:00. That's BS

Many bars are "closed" during certain times for events. 4-8 is not exactly the prime time for bars. On the bright side, you only need 21 more nights to attend this event, getting free drinks plus 3 extra drinks at other lounges during those hours. (Something Carnival does not do).

I cant get past these two issues ....

Don't worry, you will eventually get to use the Diamond events!

It's subjective - I have never been attracted to a RCL cruise because, in my view, they make the ship the destination. It would not matter which ports it went to because the whole point of the vacation is being on the ship. So they pack more nice stuff onboard, and you pay a premium for that.

We choose a cruise based on the destination. Hopefully we get off the ship a lot and explore the ports. Onboard all we ask for is decent food, a good room location, and we're happy to be there. Having a smaller ship is a bonus.

Lots of other people have different views and expectations. Perhaps if you don't really like going ashore at the ports, or want the latest amenities onboard, then a newer and larger ship would be worth the premium.

I have only been on Royal and Disney but from Royal perspective, I agree with this. It's all about the ship. The Caribbean cruises seem to go to the same few ports. However, for us, we cruise for the ship and love everything that it has to offer from elegance to shows to activities. Thus, for us, your point about Royal is a good thing. We don't live near a beach so getting off at the ports and going to a beach a few hours is perfect for us. Makes for a great cruise and we keep going back to the same line.

On longer trips I prefer RCI, more things to do, unusual features, better theater shows, and I prefer dining room menus.

On shorter trips I enjoy Carnival. The atmosphere can be downright raucous around the pool, and the casual food choices - like deli and panini stations - are really what I'm looking for. When I want cheap and easy, it's my choice.

The comedy shows on Carnival are the best by far.

My feelings as well. On longer trips I enjoy a more laid back atmosphere so I go with RC but when I want to let the hair down a bit I go with Carnival. :D

I made a video this year comparing the 2. I came away with (IMO) listing Carnival the better cruise experience. I know it is long but you can always fast forward to what you think is important. Let me know what you think.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1d3Dcg4F8

There was a time when you paid less for Carnival and actually got more. These days are L O N G gone.

It's worth the investment of paying more for a better experience, on a better ship with superior service and entertainment. Plus, you end up sailing with others that appreciate the same.

There was a time when you paid less for Carnival and actually got more. These days are L O N G gone.

It's worth the investment of paying more for a better experience, on a better ship with superior service and entertainment. Plus, you end up sailing with others that appreciate the same.

It might be worth more to some, but it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I have no interest at all in paying more for a "nicer" ship or "better" entertainment and the service on CCL is perfectly acceptable.

After 12 Carnival cruises and two Royal Oasis class cruises. I believe Royal has a better product overall. Carnival does provide a great cruise, has the best pizza, excellent steakhouse but the cutbacks have taken a toll on my experience. The Vista was a let down. Looking forward to the Glory in a couple weeks.

It might be worth more to some, but it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I have no interest at all in paying more for a "nicer" ship or "better" entertainment and the service on CCL is perfectly acceptable.

I agree.

I have found the rooms smaller on Royal, the food better on Carnival and the entertainment no better on either. For now we'll stick with the best value and that's Carnival.

Best value says it all... but value is a personal conclusion. My value may not equal your value. It's good to have lots of choices, and competition drives even better values in the future.

I have found the rooms smaller on Royal, the food better on Carnival and the entertainment no better on either. For now we'll stick with the best value and that's Carnival.

I don't know which RCI ships you sailed on but the entertainment on the Oasis class ships is not in the same league as Carnivals.

I'd still sail both depending on what kind of cruise and itinerary I was looking for.:)

Bill

Agree... That poster appears to always be more negative.... I have noticed he leaves his mark on almost every lines forum.... and his/her responses are usually short. That should tell you something!

I have had riclop on ignore for quite some time. You should do the same :)