Any experience carrying drone onboard?

Meanee

Assert Stand Your Ground Law - you felt threatened with bodily harm from the drone, and the operator continued to harass you

Interesting approach. However, harassment is not a call for "deadly force" from what I understand. Also, you need to prove that drone was threatening your safety. Also, airspace above your property is not well-defined. Your property can "end" 80 feet above ground. So if a drone hovers 81 feet above, with telephoto lens pointing at your pool, as creepy as it is, you can't shoot it down.

One of my hobbies is skydiving. Let's say if winds are preventing me from reaching my target landing area, and I happen to fly around 50 feet above your house, do you immediately shoot at me? Most skydivers wear gopros on their helmet...

This industry is too new and I am sure there will be a number of laws in future, but for now, it is what it is.

Interesting approach. However, harassment is not a call for "deadly force" from what I understand. Also, you need to prove that drone was threatening your safety. Also, airspace above your property is not well-defined. Your property can "end" 80 feet above ground. So if a drone hovers 81 feet above, with telephoto lens pointing at your pool, as creepy as it is, you can't shoot it down.

One of my hobbies is skydiving. Let's say if winds are preventing me from reaching my target landing area, and I happen to fly around 50 feet above your house, do you immediately shoot at me? Most skydivers wear gopros on their helmet...

This industry is too new and I am sure there will be a number of laws in future, but for now, it is what it is.

So Meanee.... after 7 pages of chit chat, have you contacted Princess and gotten permission to carry your drone on board?

What did they tell you? What are the steps?

My husband is a licenced pilot, flown F16's 27 years for USAF and now DoD contractor that is helping on the SOP for Drones for the FAA.

"Use common sense" "Check FAA site"

There are restrictions such as

consent to fly over private property, not flying above 400ft, no flying within a 4km radius of an airport and remember Lithium batteries must be declared to the Air carrier as they are considered Hazardous Matieral and some carriers require Lithium batteries be swabbed and placed in specialized bag/containers for Lith batteries.* Suggested read:

*https://dronelife.com/2015/04/28/travel-with-a-drone/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Hey Meanee, how did you get on with princess? Or has the angry crowd scared you off. I bought it up with a princess consultant after booking a 2019 trip and she didn't know, she was too keen booking 106 nights for me to worry.

Yeah, so far I got two conflicting answers from Princess. One is "no, strictly prohibited" and one "Sure, but you may need to surrender it to ship security"

The "sure thing" lady was over the phone. The strictly prohibited was over email. Honestly, email one may be just "get lost" answer, since I had to "remind" them that I am still waiting for reply, and reply came within 45 minutes after I reminded them.

Since their own reps are unclear on the exact policy, I'd rather not risk it with some powertripping screener in every port I take it.

It's unfortunate, considering airlines allow it in carryon and checked luggage with no issues. And my gigantic dive knife can be brought onboard if I show them my scuba license. Something tells me that if I show them my pilot's license, they won't really honor it.

I guess we will have to wait few more years, until drones become a bit more regulated, and less scary.

Also... congrats on 106 nights. Maybe one of these days I will do something like it. Just need to figure out how not to get cabin (ship?) fever lol.

I checked. There are 3 ports in the itinerary, two allow drones, one does not.

Also, yeah, my right to fly a drone trumps your right to privacy if you are in a public space. For example, if I am on a bike trail, and drone is following me, it may snap a picture of you if you are in the frame. That's not a violation of privacy since it's a public place.

Or if I am taking a scenery shot from 300 feet and it happens to capture your house.

But yeah, if I swoop down to like 20 feet above the yard, I can see how it can be a problem. However, in USA, if you shoot it down, it's a felony.

Thing is that I probably do not need to shoot it down. Somebody somewhere probably from overseas must be making and selling probably illegally a device that jams the signal from your control box and makes the drone crash. If they aren't, they should. There is a great market for it.

DON

Thing is that I probably do not need to shoot it down. Somebody somewhere probably from overseas must be making and selling probably illegally a device that jams the signal from your control box and makes the drone crash. If they aren't, they should. There is a great market for it.

DON

Dang, someone at the Pentagon messed up. No need to spend millions, could have bought a cheap Chinese gadget.

Yeah, so far I got two conflicting answers from Princess. One is "no, strictly prohibited" and one "Sure, but you may need to surrender it to ship security"

The "sure thing" lady was over the phone. The strictly prohibited was over email. Honestly, email one may be just "get lost" answer, since I had to "remind" them that I am still waiting for reply, and reply came within 45 minutes after I reminded them.

Since their own reps are unclear on the exact policy, I'd rather not risk it with some powertripping screener in every port I take it.

It's unfortunate, considering airlines allow it in carryon and checked luggage with no issues. And my gigantic dive knife can be brought onboard if I show them my scuba license. Something tells me that if I show them my pilot's license, they won't really honor it.

I guess we will have to wait few more years, until drones become a bit more regulated, and less scary.

Also... congrats on 106 nights. Maybe one of these days I will do something like it. Just need to figure out how not to get cabin (ship?) fever lol.

Meanee, The lady I spoke to was lovely and we chatted for over half an hour about previous trips and Princess in general. I'd go by your instinct with this as she was unsure and maybe never had the question before. My other half is cruise crazy and I tag along, I also enjoy a good trip an managed 28 nights. It should be just fine ;)

DON

Quite a logical solution for someone that hates drones.

Do you have a cell phone blocker as well?

What about walkie talkies.....now they're really annoying.

DON

Most drones that are not $9.99 at Toys R Us will initiate Return to Home on any signal loss. They will come back to place of last take off or place where remote was last detected, make sure area is clear and land. But yeah, looks like your knowledge in the area is pretty lacking if you are hoping that it will just crash.

Also, what if a drone happens to fly over a person and someone jams the signal, making it crash? Do you still think they should sell the device that will make it crash on some random passer-by, and have them injured only because you hate drones?

Edit: Vast majority of drones use 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz frequencies. You know what else uses that? WiFi and unlicensed communication devices. So you will jam those too.

Edited by Meanee

I feel like that is probably the wisest move at this point. I hope you enjoy your trip nonetheless.

On a semi-related note, I wonder if there are enough people like you to support a drone rental business at a scenic location like a Caribbean island... hmm.... :)

Good luck to you - probably your best option.

It seems to me that all through this thread you have not wanted to do anything that was against Princess rules, do anything that was illegal in any of your ports of call nor deliberately annoy anyone around you whilst went about your lawful business enjoying using your drone in a responsible way.

You argued your case with restraint and respect whilst receiving some very rude and uncalled for personal insults.

Whilst not being a drone fan, I respect your right to use yours in a considerate way, within the regulatory framework.

Happy flying.

Quite a logical solution for someone that hates drones.

Do you have a cell phone blocker as well?

What about walkie talkies.....now they're really annoying.

Check out this site -

https://www.thesignaljammer.com/

Specifically, check out these items - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/categories/UAV-Drone/

or this - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/blog/5-reasons-why-you-need-drone-jamming-technology/

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Check out this site -

Specifically, check out these items - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/categories/UAV-Drone/

or this - https://www.thesignaljammer.com/blog/5-reasons-why-you-need-drone-jamming-technology/

DON

Are they OK to bring on the ship.....just in case of a loose drone invades your privacy while on your balcony?

DON

Hmmmmmm.

Check out this site -

DON

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

It also lists as jamming WiFi being against federal law. Drones use WiFi frequencies to communicate.

Also nice little quote from FCC: Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

My husband is a licenced pilot, flown F16's 27 years for USAF and now DoD contractor that is helping on the SOP for Drones for the FAA.

"Use common sense" "Check FAA site"

There are restrictions such as

consent to fly over private property, not flying above 400ft, no flying within a 4km radius of an airport and remember Lithium batteries must be declared to the Air carrier as they are considered Hazardous Matieral and some carriers require Lithium batteries be swabbed and placed in specialized bag/containers for Lith batteries.* Suggested read:

*https://dronelife.com/2015/04/28/travel-with-a-drone/

Your husband is not 100% correct..

- For recreational flying, please check FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A.

- 400 foot limit is recommended, but not required or enforced. Check Public Law 112-95, section 336.

- If you are flying within 5 miles of an airport, you need to advise tower. Permission is not needed, only need to advise them. But it's perfectly legal to fly it within 5 mile range.

- Only lithium batteries over 100Wh are restricted. Anything below is permitted. If TSA made you swab all lithium batteries, your laptop, cell phone, smart watch, hearing aid, and so on, will be swabbed and you'll have to declare it. My drone's batteries are 43Wh. Even if you carry batteries in 101-160Wh range, with airline's approval, you can carry two. No limit on lower capacity. That is not to say that drone batteries are safe. Drones use Lithium Polymer batteries that are very volatile. When punctured, bad stuff will happen. But same battery chemistry is used in Macbooks. Macbooks are better protected though.

I am also a licensed pilot. Just never touched anything as fancy as F-16.

Good luck to you - probably your best option.

It seems to me that all through this thread you have not wanted to do anything that was against Princess rules, do anything that was illegal in any of your ports of call nor deliberately annoy anyone around you whilst went about your lawful business enjoying using your drone in a responsible way.

You argued your case with restraint and respect whilst receiving some very rude and uncalled for personal insults.

Whilst not being a drone fan, I respect your right to use yours in a considerate way, within the regulatory framework.

Happy flying.

Thank you.

I am usually not the person to yell "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!" and try to avoid conflict. I flown my drone in open area few times, and was asked by others if it's possible to not fly here. Instead of "Get lost, I can legally do it" I just flew my drone to other area. One couple even received a "drone selfie" because while they were not exactly comfortable, they wanted a unique shot of them.

Drones are interesting machines. Early they produced a lot of negativity due to people being completely stupid flying them. But as FAA and various non-government associations (AMA) are bringing awareness and education efforts, while popularity of drones grows, incidents do not. Sure, there are still people who do stupid things. Like flying over other people, or flying them at unsafe locations, in restricted locations. They also forget that this is NOT a toy and should be flown and treated with respect. But that harms the hobby/sport.

See if you can give a shot flying one. Even if you are not a fan, you'll understand it better, and may not be as opposed to them.

See if you can give a shot flying one. Even if you are not a fan, you'll understand it better, and may not be as opposed to them.

That is an interesting phrase given some of the comments on this thread.😂

I'm not particularly opposed to drones - I'm neutral.

Your husband is not 100% correct..

- For recreational flying, please check FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A.

- 400 foot limit is recommended, but not required or enforced. Check Public Law 112-95, section 336.

- If you are flying within 5 miles of an airport, you need to advise tower. Permission is not needed, only need to advise them. But it's perfectly legal to fly it within 5 mile range.

- Only lithium batteries over 100Wh are restricted. Anything below is permitted. If TSA made you swab all lithium batteries, your laptop, cell phone, smart watch, hearing aid, and so on, will be swabbed and you'll have to declare it. My drone's batteries are 43Wh. Even if you carry batteries in 101-160Wh range, with airline's approval, you can carry two. No limit on lower capacity. That is not to say that drone batteries are safe. Drones use Lithium Polymer batteries that are very volatile. When punctured, bad stuff will happen. But same battery chemistry is used in Macbooks. Macbooks are better protected though.

I am also a licensed pilot. Just never touched anything as fancy as F-16.

Meanee,

Sir, The F-16 is by no means comfy or fancy, however it takes an accomplished, well educated Pilot to fly it.

Without the mention of the type or size of the UAV being used, he cautioned on lithium batteries on aircraft and 100% You will be asked by the airline check in agent if you have ^PACKED" lithium batteries to little E-cigs! "Common Sense" to check Your Airline and the TSA website.

FAA rules are always changing on flying UAV's, such as Prohibited areas, Restricted Airspce areas, Public areas, Military operation areas (MOAs) and Controlled firing areas (CFAs).

So use "Common Sense" and check out the current TFR's, Via the the FAA website.

Oh good luck with getting permission from ATC to fly a UAV near a Airport! Not impossible, but you better have a good reason!

My husband is 100% correct. [emoji41]

Words that have never been heard in this house.

My wife could do with some coaching. Do you offer an online course ?

WpgCruise,

[emoji40] Lol! that made me laugh! ...

A Command Pilot with more than 4,000+ Flight hours, Aircraft flown T-37, T-38, F-16C and MQ-9.

Lol.. However, I will admit the Air Force Academy did not give him ANY cooking skills! [emoji6][emoji1].

• 1 month later...