Confused with Coffee Card use

roxievegas

our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

thank you for any explaination

our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

I might be wrong but regular brewed coffee is available in the cafe/buffet area for free. Specialty coffee is not free. I was considering getting the coffee card also until I saw the prices of the coffee. They aren’t very inexpensive especially compared to Starbucks.

I searched for coffee prices online for princess star and finally came across a menu they were around two dollars and under. I figured it wasn’t worth getting the coffee card.

Here is something i found

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ships/products/menus/Coffee-and-Cones-Menu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I understand the rules, the card allows you unlimited fresh brewed coffee, but specialty coffees are a punch. If your card is older (from an earlier cruise) then they are supposed to punch for all coffee.

In practice, on my 2 recent cruises, I was able to get coffee for 2 of us (hubby and me) that was fresh brewed, with old cards and no punches. Half the time, they didn't even look at the card or seem to care.

This is exactly our situation. Coffee for me, a caramel latte for the wife. We are never refused the combo, but the latte gets a punch.

The unlimited coffee is just for the person buying the coffee card. The punches can be used for anything from a brewed coffee for someone else or for a latte or other specialty coffee.

Excellent explanation. I concur

thank you for your help. I am going to get one card before sailing and see how it goes.

Several suggestions here:

1. Have your husband buy the card. That way, he will be entitled to the "fresh brewed coffee" per policy. He can then "buy" you as many lattes as he wants to as a "gift" from his card. MDR coffee on most of the ships are a concentrated syrup. Not very tasty in my opinion.

2. Buy the card from a staff member on board. They will earn the "credit" and you will be a star for a minute.

So you can get 2 lattes from one card

Cheers

Yes, you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.

Do they do a punch for iced coffee or is that considered regular coffee?

Yes...You can get regular brewed "iced" coffee for free.

If you want an iced coffee made from espresso, then they will punch your card.

Just to be clear, the only place you can get real "brewed" coffee is at the International Cafe. The buffet serves coffee that is made from a Nestle syrup or concentrate.
Just to be clear, it depends on the ship. Some ships do have brewed coffee in the buffet. On other ships, the coffee from concentrate is fine for most passengers. Coffee, and food, is subjective. What one hates, others like.

I bought a coffee card on my cruise on the regal in the fall of 2016, I would go to the International Cafe each morning for 2 fresh-brewed coffees to go. maybe twice they punched the card for the second coffee. By the end of the cruise I used maybe 5 punches for some specialty coffees and the couple they charged me for.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I sailed on the Regal again. The first day they punched two holes for the to go coffees. They punched it again a few days later. That's all. I still have 10 or so punches left.

Hello Roxie,

May I suggest this? Just get two coffee cards. It amounts to a buck and a quarter a day on a 28 day cruise. You both can have a latte every other day and all of the fresh brewed, really good teas and hot chocolates that you want. It truly is a good deal for for those that enjoy a better cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate and the occasional specialty coffee. I was able to gift several cruisers with coffee that would otherwise go on their charge with the extra punches on my older card. I got the idea from someone else on the board. Getting the two cards really removes the guess work out of the equation.

since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?

I will follow "tailspintom" advice and purchase two - just in case hubby not around when I want my latte

thank you all for the information

Yes' date=' you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.[/quote']

The card is dead for unlimited brewed coffee only after the end of the cruise even if there are no remaining punches during the cruise.

since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?

a) any bar

b) at special tables on embarkation day

c) from waiters hawking the card in the buffet on embarkation day

After reading all these posts i decided to get a coffee card!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fast question....I see you can purchase the coffee card prior to the cruise...and also the water package.,can you use your onboard free credits to pay for it, or do you have to "pay" for it, without your on board credit.......is the price different on the cruise? or the same?