What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

PekingeseLady

Seriously, no matter what I do DH and I need a large suitcase each, and a garment bag for his dinner coat and shirts. How do some of you get away with a backpack and carry on? I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!:p I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!:') I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking. Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck. Two swimsuits so one can dry:cool:. Seriously how do you folks do it, carry on your one small bag only? Or one large bag for that matter:rolleyes::o Help me, please!!!

I just did three days in Vegas with a carry on. I wore my jeans and loafers on the plane with a jacket. I packed a pair of black pants, shoes and six tops. And while I was there I bought 2 dresses, 4 tops and a jacket. Carry on was bulging a bit on the way home but it certainly all fit in there. Light weight fabric and mix and match outfits are key.

The wife and I took a 14 day land/sea alaska/yukon/inside passage trip last summer with two carry-ons.

They gave us a "golf clap" at the transportation desk at Anchorage airport.;)

Wear your heavy items when you travel and have "wicking" type clothing that wash easily and dry fast. 3-4 changes is all you need as you can wash most stuff out while you shower in the morning.

We did not carry formal wear on that particular trip. Most cruises, we'll take 1 big suitcase, a carry-on and another carry-on with soda in it. On the return trip, the one with soda is used to bring back things purchased.

I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!

Skip that

I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!

I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking.Eliminate Flip/Flops use just Sandals

Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck.Windbreaker or sweater , not both

Two swimsuits so one can dry. One is sufficient air dry on Balcony

Put together outfits in matching or complementary colors so you can mix and match. One pair of dress shoes and one pair of sandals. Take items that can do double duty. Paranas can work at the beach and then as a shawl for dinner. Take travel size containers of 'can't do without' grooming and makeup items. This is a start......once you tell yourself you want to downsize your packing, you will think of other ways that work for you. Some people like to take 'everything' with them on a holiday. If you remember that "you are not as important as you think you are", that will go a long way to helping you pack more efficiently. Happy travels!

I'm leaving for a 30 day So. America cruise, Emerald Princess, with a 26" suitcase.. I have 2 pairs of dressy slacks and 4 fancy tops, I would not wear for smart casual. Those get rolled up, too. Not real formal, don't care. I'm taking black flats, beige flats, Sketcher canvas sandals, Pacific Trail heavy duty walking sandals. I wear my heavy gym shoes. All clothes is rolled up, zip lock bags, I'm taking 36 items of clothing.

Because part of the cruise will be 40's, I have 2 hoodies, 2 knit pair of pants, that roll up to capri length if needed. I am older and don't want to manage more than 1 suitcase and a carry on (my carry on is small but does have wheels) I've been cruising since '82 and decided to make it easy on myself.

I have given up trying to bring less luggage. I went out and bought 2 new (large) suitcases that weigh only 6 pounds each thinking that maybe I can pack more in them and not bring one of my two carryons. But, unfortunately, I still find that I need 2 large and 2 carryons. :rolleyes::(

If the OP were to take a good look around and see how some passengers dress for dinner, it would possibly answer their question :). We know one couple that takes long HAL cruises (we are talking about weeks or months in length) and manage with just two backpacks! They wash out (in their cabin sink or shower) some of their clothes and underclothes nearly every night (they do not like the laundry). They explained to us that they did not like the hassle of carrying lots of luggage. Over cocktails we talked about our own practice of overpacking (we sometimes take 4 large suitcases) and DW explained that she didn't like the hassle of "washing out" clothes..and we both preferred to have a decent assortment of clothes. For us, we simply send out some clothes to the ship's laundry (we get free laundry on several cruise lines) and enjoy dressing nicely in the evening. Yes, taking lots of luggage is a hassle...but only for our travel days. Once on the ship, there is no more "hassle." Besides, we have discovered the joys of Business Class.....we can take more luggage without paying extra fees :).

Hank

We always plan to pack lighter, but... I once paid $11 for 16 Benadryl tablets on board when I had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives, our travel kit now has Benadryl in it. Couldn’t rule out the shower soap or shampoo provided as the culprit. Now we bring our own. Also pain relievers, Rx meds, etc. We bring less socks & undies, but bring detergent and use the laundry facilities on sea days. Also only a few pair of shorts and slacks each and mix & match tops. We like to dress nice for the MDR and dress up for formal nights. We did 20 days on the Royal in Dec 2016 with 2 large, 1 small and a rolling garment bag, plus a carry on with meds, electronics, charging station. Also bring a small USB powered fan for some air circulation at night. No plugging in so it works on the night stand. I’ll suffer through getting the luggage there and back before I’ll leave something behind that I want or need!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously, no matter what I do DH and I need a large suitcase each, and a garment bag for his dinner coat and shirts. How do some of you get away with a backpack and carry on? I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!:p I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!:') I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking. Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck. Two swimsuits so one can dry:cool:. Seriously how do you folks do it, carry on your one small bag only? Or one large bag for that matter:rolleyes::o Help me, please!!!

Your DH could always use Cruise Line Formalwear to pre-order his tux/suit/dinner jacket. This way it would be in your cabin when you board:).

Bob

I also need two suitcases. Both myself and hubby have our own toiletry bags. We like different shampoos, facewash, toothpaste etc. I will not use the shampoo on board. Everything is put into smaller bottles. His suit with 2 dress shirts, a couple of dresses, shirts, etc. It doesn't seem to take too long. But my philosophy is, I'm paying x amount for the cruise, what's another $60 for bags.

Great comments, no right or wrong! I find one bag easier to manage, works best at this stage of my life. I will do a load of laundry while I'm gone, maybe send some out. The tops I wear to dinner are very lightweight, don't take much space and I wouldn't wear them around the ship during the day. I like variety, being on for 30 days. I bring my own toiletries as I can't stand strong fragrance. Prone to sinus issues, I have drugs with me, my sinus issues can drag into something else sometimes.

I also need two suitcases. Both myself and hubby have our own toiletry bags. We like different shampoos, facewash, toothpaste etc. I will not use the shampoo on board. Everything is put into smaller bottles. His suit with 2 dress shirts, a couple of dresses, shirts, etc. It doesn't seem to take too long. But my philosophy is, I'm paying x amount for the cruise, what's another $60 for bags.

My feelings exactly.....:):):)

Bob

Well, no matter what, I always end up with a large bag, a carry-on and a totebag (used as a personal item if we're flying). Can't seem to go with less. I'm doing better now, though, then I did years ago when we began cruising. On our 1st cruise, I had 4 bags--just for me! That's when DH started saying, "You pack it....you carry it"....;p

DH is packing now as we're finishing up our 7-day cruise on the Regal. He has two shirts he hasn't worn. We had one large suitcase, one rolling garment bag for our hanging garments, and a backpack apiece. I took advantage of our Elite laundry benefit to have Princess do the washing. I have two clean shirts for tomorrow and Monday's drive home. I have a pair of clean shorts, too, and plenty of clean underwear and socks. I wore every shirt I brought. I brought just two pairs of slacks.

As a guy, I have, for years, always traveled wearing either my suit coat or sport coat so that I don't have to have it taking up space in my suitcase.

Otherwise, we use the personal laundry (if available) and mix/match clothing.

Our recent 10 day trip to the tropics I did not take dress shoes. I have a decent pair of black sandals that I wear every day, so on gala night I just added black sox to wear with the sandals.

Only my wife fussed a little...no one else noticed, or if they did they were silent...besides...Who Cares? :cool:(y)

My DH & I did a 27 day TA, London to Ft. Lauderdale, with one carry on & 1 personal item each. We have to fly when we cruise. We haven't checked a bag in several years. But that's what works for us. We are very low maintenance. You are probably a lot more fashionable than I am. Travel the way that works for you. You sound like a happy traveler & that's the important thing.

1. Drink water

2. One swim suit, hang to dry overnight

3. Black sandals will work with a black dress (which, if chosen correctly, can also be worn again for site-seeing), for by the pool, and for on the beach

4. Wear tennis shoes on the plane for site-seeing

5. No iron pants and a polo should do for your husband's formal night and he can wear again for site-seeing

6. Wear the same pants or shorts multiple times

7. Jacket or sweater, not both

8. Wear heaviest items on plane

I don’t even bother trying to take less than a large suitcase. I like dressing up, doing my makeup (skip most days at home but vacation is a go for it situation) and bringing my photography gear. But, we usually drive to the port. If I was flying, I would not bring so much. One pair of heels, that work with all dresses, streamlined makeup bag, etc. Ultimately, it depends on how you like to vacation (Dress up, Dress down), whether you want to do laundry (no way if 7 days or less) and whether you have air travel to factor in. I wouldn’t worry about it unless the excess bags are causing a problme for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always make notes after a cruise on packing. For 7, 10, 14 day cruises, we typically send out some laundry. I always bring my tux and DW dresses to match. We typically have one medium sized suitcase each,, sometimes a shared garment bag and a small carry on each. There are some great videos on YouTube about ow to pack jackets and such. It can br done,

Cheers

We each take a rolling carry on (21 inch) and a hand held bag (gym bag type) that we put on top of out carry on. This way we only need one hand to push both bags.

For my DH I pack:

9 shirts, mostly button down and some golf shirts. One shirt for his tux. And one tee shirt.

One tux.

Three pairs of dress/dockers type pants.

One pair of shorts. (he is not a short wearer. )

One bathing suit. (Most time it comes back not used).

Seven each Under shirts, pants and socks.

Two belts and a pair of PJ's.

One sweater. All clothing goes in the 21 inch carry on.

Two pairs of shoes that go in the gym bag with the personal items

The thing that helps us is that we get free laundry. We send a bag out each day.

We do carry on and off. I do use packing cubes and folders