Your Thoughts On Riding An Elephant, Please

DaisyRose

Hello,

I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.

PLEASE don’t ride any elephants.

A new report by World Animal Protection titled Taken For A Ride says that 3 in 4 elephants in tourist entertainment venues around Asia are living in poor, unacceptable welfare conditions.

Read this website.

https://mashable.com/2017/07/07/elephant-ride-report-asia/#RPXtuOox1gqo

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

Being a bit suspicious about elephant rides is entirely justified. Elephants are "tamed" (a better word would be "tortured") to allow people to ride them. Elephants are different from horses. I hope they also offer tours that bring you close to elephants in the wild, which I know is an experience that you will never forget :)

Being a bit suspicious about elephant rides is entirely justified. Elephants are "tamed" (a better word would be "tortured") for them to allow people to ride them. Elephants are different from horses. I hope they also offer tours that bring you close to elephants in the wild, which I know is an experience that you will never forget :)

I totally agree about being tortured. If she saw how the elephants are so-called tamed, it would make her sick.

Our friends have a picture of them on an elephant.

They thought the one they rode was well taken care of. It was a larger one and given a rest of 20 minutes between each ride.

Seems some operators take better care of their elephants than others. :rolleyes:

Please, DON'T do any Shore Excursion involving riding elephants - it is cruel. We agree with the people who have genuine concern for the welfare of animals. For verification, the animal protection society of the country the excursion is offered in will provide the "truth". It is heartbreaking. We have the power to change this. All animals have feelings...............

I totally agree about being tortured. If she saw how the elephants are so-called tamed, it would make her sick.

I'm not in the PETA league, not even vegetarian. I've never been on a Princess cruise, but HAL and X couldn't stop telling me how much they cared for the environment and sea life and whatnot. I guess Princess is no different as it's a sister to HAL. Trust arrives on foot and leaves on horseback. I wonder what genius decided that there was some money to be made by allowing this kind of shorex.

Thank you all who replied. I wondered if the elephants were treated poorly, and now I know. We won't be choosing an excursion that includes riding on elephants.

I thank you and the elephants thank you! [emoji4]

We would love to go to Thailand on a cruise or even a land trip someday. One thing we originally wanted to do was ride an elephant. After reading how they were tortured, we decided that wouldn't be appropriate. We think we'll go to an elephant sanctuary instead, where they are well cared for and we can at least observe them closer and learn more about their habits. No riding though...

Hello,

Have you ever ridden a horse or donkey? It’s no different except larger.

Elephants are used as work animals in Thailand, and are use to humans riding them. They are treated humanely.

How much do you weigh and do you have any medical conditions?

You should have nothing to worry about. I’ve done it many times.

Enjoy your ride. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The elephants that I have seen ... in, say the lido ... don't look friendly, nor amenable to riding.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that.

But sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

Do you mean fat overweight elephants?

And, why do they don’t look friendly, nor amenable to riding?

Is it due to bad treatment as many here have said?

And, is that what those Animal Rights PAXs here are talking about?

Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

I was in Siam and saw a pair of the captive baby elephants. Being that the elephants were Siamese, they were attached at the end of their trunks. When they had to sneeze they couldn’t go achoo like the other elephants, they could only go bleezeka.