Covered chairs on beach at Half Moon Cay

Dreamer115

New to Carnival and thinking on a cruise with a stop at Half Moon Cay. The pictures show some covered chairs, I think 2 per blue cover. Is there a charge for them and if so where do I find out about reserving one. I love the beach but need some shade.

Thanks Connie

Yes, they have the clam shell chairs and they are for rent (I believe $10 from what I can remember). They are lined up and down the back part of the beach (with the regular lawn chairs in the front). You can just get off the ship and pick one and flag down the workers going up and down the beach to pay and they'll set it up for you. (It's not assembled until you pay).

P4090030%20copy-M.jpg

On our Holland America cruise you can rent a clamshell in advance for $11.95. It is $39.95 if you also want to reserve two chairs. I would think reserving chairs would only be required if there are multiple ships in port that day and you have the later ship in.

• 2 months later...
On our Holland America cruise you can rent a clamshell in advance for $11.95. It is $39.95 if you also want to reserve two chairs. I would think reserving chairs would only be required if there are multiple ships in port that day and you have the later ship in.

I think the Sunshade is $11.95 and the clamshell is $39.95.

I'm guessing the Sunshade is smaller as per the lower price.

I would love to see pictures of the sunshades if anyone has used them.

I think the Sunshade is $11.95 and the clamshell is $39.95.

I'm guessing the Sunshade is smaller as per the lower price.

I would love to see pictures of the sunshades if anyone has used them.

I'm curious about the sunshade as well. Pictures, please...

• 4 weeks later...

The picture in post #2 is a clamshell. Last time I rented one while on a Carnival ship, it was about $22 but that's been a few years. I imagine the price has increased since thn.

It's $39 on HAL.

The description of the "sun shelter" is this:

"Your sun shelter is a compact, semi-circular, open-front tent with a tent-fabric floor -- ideal for use anywhere on the beach."

Sounds to me like it's more of a pop-up that can be set up anywhere. The clamshell can only be set in certain areas (at least that's what I was told last time when I wanted to set mine up farther down the beach away from the noise).

There are no reviews of the Sun Shelter yet. I'm not going to be there until mid-November, so I'm hoping someone will chime in soon and let us know what these are like.

Yes, you can always find shade, but you have to go down the beach a bit. The area closer to the tender pier is more open with few trees.