best way to get to Brooklyn Pier from Port Authority

oatbagg1

Personally, adding a bus ride and Manhattan into the equation strikes me as unnecessarily complicating matters. Cab/Uber or hired car, you'll still have a toll and you might not save much money. It will certainly complicate things.

I'm still confused about your plans. You're flying into Newark, then taking the PATH train? It goes either to the WTC (lower Manhattan) or 33rd Street and 6th Ave (midtown). "Port Authority" usually refers to the bus terminal at 41st and 8th.

If you're determined to do cheap over easy, you could take PATH on the WTC, walk to the Wall St ferry pier (South St at Gouvernour Lane) (about 20-30 minutes) and take the SB ferry to Red Hook.

The easy way is to take a cab or a car service from the airport to the pier.

I think you may first need to take a close look at a map and then at the transit systems involved. Although both Newark Airport and the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn are both New York area transit terminals, they're at best two boroughs and one state away (and I think, two bridges or tunnels by road) from another by road or rail and could take up to three or four segments. It's not that far, but could get unnecessarily complex. Of course, baggage schlepping must also be considered - especially with formal/gala wear. My recommendation for a car service remains.

- Mark

This may sound insane, but it's actually quite a smooth way to get to the boat.

If you are able to schlep your bags yourself, then this is the way to get to the Brooklyn terminal by public transport:

Use the Subway to get to Brooklyn (Borough Hall or Jay St.) From there take Bus B61.

If you decide to depart from Borough Hall, Boerum Pl/Joralemon St is the stop you will get on the bus and VAN BRUNT ST/PIONEER ST is the stop you will get off. Turn right onto Pioneer St, and walk towards the boat.

There's a gate at the end of Pioneer St which lets you pass onto the harbour premises.

Google Maps Link Showing The Gate

This plan involves about 6-10mins of walking (0.3mi). We tested this with a grand total of four suitcases and had no problems whatsoever.

PS: If you try to walk off the boat in Southampton in order to skip the line for a taxi: Southampton buses are cash only. The closest stop is: Dock Gate 4 (Stop QA)

• 2 weeks later...

RE:

"This may sound insane, but it's actually quite a smooth way to get to the boat.

If you are able to schlep your bags yourself, then this is the way to get to the Brooklyn terminal by public transport...Use the Subway to get to Brooklyn (Borough Hall or Jay St.) From there take Bus B61".

Yes, I agree; the B61 bus routing seems to be a well-kept 'secret'. Very hand and very affordable.