Alaska Southbound Questions

MsSoCalCruiser

My friend just told me to ask my cruise people the following questions :)

I may have asked this already but I can't remember. We will be arriving at the Anchorage airport at approximately 4:30 AM. We are wondering about the following...

1). About what time do the shuttles start running from the airport to the ship.?

2). With an 8 PM departure what time do they allow us to start boarding the ship?

3). Is there a luggage holding area at the port so we can walk around Whittier? We know it's a tiny town.

We board this Saturday so If you can think of anything answers to the above or anything else I should know, please reply. Thank you!!

"1). About what time do the shuttles start running from the airport to the ship.?

3). Is there a luggage holding area at the port so we can walk around Whittier? We know it's a tiny town."

i take it by you asking about shuttles that you are on a princess transfer? they'll deal with your luggage in anchorage and it will magically arrive in your cabin. when princess takes you to whittier, you can check in, board and drop off your carry-on and go back out to explore.

"1). About what time do the shuttles start running from the airport to the ship.?

3). Is there a luggage holding area at the port so we can walk around Whittier? We know it's a tiny town."

i take it by you asking about shuttles that you are on a princess transfer? they'll deal with your luggage in anchorage and it will magically arrive in your cabin. when princess takes you to whittier, you can check in, board and drop off your carry-on and go back out to explore.

Thank you, Cdngrl. This is great news.

When you get to Whittier you will be able to board the ship. The delay will be caused by the tunnel connecting Whittier and the rest of Alaska. Buses and trains will be running out from Whittier getting passengers off. They have to be gone before people can start boarding for the new cruise.

Thank you. Now I am wishing that we would have flown in the day before and booked a hotel. That's a really long time between landing and shuttle :(

What does YMMV stand for?

Your mileage (results) may vary.

It doesn't do any good for the shuttle to leave earlier. You would have no place to go in Whittier.

When you get to Whittier you will be able to board the ship. The delay will be caused by the tunnel connecting Whittier and the rest of Alaska. Buses and trains will be running out from Whittier getting passengers off. They have to be gone before people can start boarding for the new cruise.

Thank you. Is the tunnel creepy? How long is it?

Thank you. Would you happen to know if there is a small grocery store near the ship?

Yes, there is a small grocery store.

Thank you. Is the tunnel creepy? How long is it?

DH doesn't, but I find it creepy. Especially when you see the signs by the doors in the walls of the tunnel that tell you how many days provisions are inside.

My father helped build that tunnel. I can't imagine going to work each day when they were nearing the middle point. But then I'm mildly claustrophobic and the idea of 1000s of tons of rock above me freaks me out.

I suggest you try to get seats on the right side of the bus. You will travel down the Turnagain Arm past glaciers and waterways. Not too much wildlife except for eagles. But in Alaska, you never know! The views ( when the weather is decent) are pretty amazing! The sooner you check in with Princess downstairs by the luggage claim, the earlier shuttle bus you will be on. They hand out numbered cards for your group so stay together. The lines for the bus will start to back up quickly as well.

The tunnel isn’t bad. If the closeness of the walls bother you, I recommend just closing your eyes or look at a book/ phone. It doesn’t last long.

You’ll be able to check in right away and board the ship. If you DO board between 12-1:30, be sure to eat lunch in one of the main dining rooms. The staff will try to point you to the Buffett, but a nice relaxing sit-down meal will start your trip off well!

They typically use the dining room mid-ship, deck 6, but if you see nothing there, Head right down the stairs to deck 5 mid-ship for that dining room.

Bon voyage!

Barb