Newbie to Cunard, specifically QM2, all suggestions welcome

peteukmcr

Kynance is spot on re: the library. When I did the crossing last year, it was nice to grab a coffee from Kings Court at breakfast time and retire to the tranquility of the library, where it was nearly always possible to find a comfortable seat with a wonderful view of whatever was ahead of the ship.

Some people on the boards say the coffee in the Kings Court is terrible. Is it that bad. Is it worth bringing my own drip coffee?

Some people on the boards say the coffee in the Kings Court is terrible. Is it that bad. Is it worth bringing my own drip coffee?
It wasn't good at all I'm afraid, that's why we spent a lot on coffee in the Carinthia Lounge.

Just as in food reviews , personal tastes .

We find Kings Court coffee just fine .

I run up there to fill our thermal mugs first thing in the morning .

We also purchase a Coffee Card for capachino @ Sir Samual’s .

dogs, dogs, dogs (and cats too). Be sure and go up to Deck 12 and check out the dogs in the kennel area. You can't go inside the kennel area,

but inquisitive dogs often come to the gate for a sniff and a pat on the head.

(1) Don't miss lunch (free) in the Golden Lion Pub. However, there's usually a rush right at the start. Stop by 60-90 minutes after service starts and you should get seated easily. (Coming from the UK, the novelty factor is likely less for you, but I'm told that their version of fish & chips with mushy peas, cottage pie, chicken tikka-masala, and plowman's lunch is done well.)

(2) Also for lunch, or an odd snack, check out the Carpathia Lounge. It also worked out well one day when my husband found things to his liking, but I went next door to the Kings Court to grab something from there. It's also a nice way to pick up a small lunch on the days you're planning on afternoon tea, later.

(3) The planetarium is fun activity. If you miss on the complementary free tickets available from the desk at Connexions (I usually ran down for the two of us after we placed our breakfast order in Britannia) - just show up for a showing a few minutes beforehand and introduce yourself to the entertainment staff member managing the door. Inevitably, many more people will grab tickets and be no-shows.

(4) The Behind the Scenes tour is excellent. It's a three hour tour of the operating parts of the ship (the room with the spools of lines and anchors was unexpectedly fascinating). No engine room but the engineering nerds geek out in the engine control room (guess what, the engines run on Windows XP), the galley (with snacks), the backstage area of the theatre, and the bridge with a chat with the captain. It's not cheap (last year it was $160, I think) but it's worthwhile once, and numbers are severely limited. It's not publicized, but you can sign up at the Concierge Lounge, if you're in the grills or line up at the Excursions office (I recommend lining up 45-60 minutes beforehand)

(5) If dining in Britannia, be aware that there are other options which your waiter can get upon request, but are not listed in the menu. Your waiter will have the latest info, but traditionally, steak, chicken breast, salmon, caesar salad and shrimp starter were available.

I've heard different comments on where to sign up for the behind the scenes tour. Pursers desk on boarding or excursion desk the first sea morning. Where did you get your tickets? Thanks!

The Back of the House Tour tickets are sold at the Excursion Desk. I recommend to do some overnight camping in front of it. ;p

Seriously: Do check back with the Purser's Desk if this is different on TA runs and be there when the Excursion Desk opens in the morning.

The tour is $120 p.p. but you will get a glass of Champagne (not just the cheap paint stripper) and your photo taken with the Captain. The MDR kitchen also gave us a nice black apron, but I don't know if this is still the case.

Also, you can annoy the Captain, his Deputy, the Chief and a the rest of the top brass with stupid passenger questions. A truly priceless opportunity.

I've heard different comments on where to sign up for the behind the scenes tour. Pursers desk on boarding or excursion desk the first sea morning. Where did you get your tickets? Thanks!

Excursions desk, first sea day. I got there at 8 (desk opened at 9) and was first in line, by 8:30 there were about 25 people behind me.

You fill out a form and get a letter a few days later if you were selected. Not every9ne can get in as it’s slot controlled but they did two tours on our trip (much to the staff’s chagrin).

I’ll be honest - the tour was inferior to what HAL offers on its larger ships.

The Back of the House Tour tickets are sold at the Excursion Desk. I recommend to do some overnight camping in front of it. ;p

Seriously: Do check back with the Purser's Desk if this is different on TA runs and be there when the Excursion Desk opens in the morning.

The tour is $120 p.p. but you will get a glass of Champagne (not just the cheap paint stripper) and your photo taken with the Captain. The MDR kitchen also gave us a nice black apron, but I don't know if this is still the case.

Also, you can annoy the Captain, his Deputy, the Chief and a the rest of the top brass with stupid passenger questions. A truly priceless opportunity.

Did this tour on May 14 and got the apron. Had six photos taken and the only one we received back was a VERY blurry one from the theater stage. I was displeased age told the purser but nothing happened.

Excursions desk, first sea day. I got there at 8 (desk opened at 9) and was first in line, by 8:30 there were about 25 people behind me.

You fill out a form and get a letter a few days later if you were selected. Not every9ne can get in as it’s slot controlled but they did two tours on our trip (much to the staff’s chagrin).

I’ll be honest - the tour was inferior to what HAL offers on its larger ships.

Interesting, I nearly did the overnight camping (at least it felt like it) and turned up at 8:15. I was a lonely man until 9:00. Nobody else (in numbers: 0) turned up to make a reservation for the tour even at this time.

Did you queue when the tour was still advertised in the Daily Programme?

IMHO, they charge you exactly the expenses you cause in employees wages, drinks and souvenirs. Extra security staff and a photographer will accompany you on the entire tour, which lasts 3-4 hrs. Think of it as an excursion within the ship, not as a freebie.

Interesting, I nearly did the overnight camping (at least it felt like it) and turned up at 8:15. I was a lonely man until 9:00. Nobody else (in numbers: 0) turned up to make a reservation for the tour even at this time.

IMHO, they charge you exactly the expenses you cause in employees wages, drinks and souvenirs. Extra security staff and a photographer will accompany you on the entire tour, which lasts 3-4 hrs. Think of it as an excursion within the ship, not as a freebie.

I never saw it in the programme actually, I posted a link here to ours in my recent review thread.

Thanks! I keep hearing 8 at excursion desk on first sea day. So, knowing myself, I'll bring a book, do 7:30 and wait patiently and happily, especially if I'm the first person in line!

New question that just occurred to me. We have 3 rooms for 7 people. (Yes, we WILL be bringing children aboard the QM2! ) My husband and I are in different rooms. Do you think he'll need to be there or can I reserve for both of us, since we'll have different rooms. We are all booked under the same account. Thanks again! I'm making myself crazy about this tour! :-:'):')

My experience last year was like the first replier. (I went down at 8 and found 1 other person, by 8:30, the number in line filled the tour. The previous year, I went down at 8:30 and it was too late.)

I recall that each person could reserve up to 2 slots. I just asked my husband if he was addressed by name or had to check in specifically. I don't remember having tickets or putting both of our names on the list - although I very well may have. However, I'd be astonished if she would need to accompany you and I'm certain that the excursions office would be able to accommodate your situation - I'd assume that is the case and mention it when you sign up.

My experience last year was like the first replier. (I went down at 8 and found 1 other person, by 8:30, the number in line filled the tour. The previous year, I went down at 8:30 and it was too late.)

I recall that each person could reserve up to 2 slots. I just asked my husband if he was addressed by name or had to check in specifically. I don't remember having tickets or putting both of our names on the list - although I very well may have. However, I'd be astonished if she would need to accompany you and I'm certain that the excursions office would be able to accommodate your situation - I'd assume that is the case and mention it when you sign up.

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
(1) Don't miss lunch (free) in the Golden Lion Pub. However, there's usually a rush right at the start. Stop by 60-90 minutes after service starts and you should get seated easily. (Coming from the UK, the novelty factor is likely less for you, but I'm told that their version of fish & chips with mushy peas, cottage pie, chicken tikka-masala, and plowman's lunch is done well.)

(2) Also for lunch, or an odd snack, check out the Carpathia Lounge. It also worked out well one day when my husband found things to his liking, but I went next door to the Kings Court to grab something from there. It's also a nice way to pick up a small lunch on the days you're planning on afternoon tea, later.

(3) The planetarium is fun activity. If you miss on the complementary free tickets available from the desk at Connexions (I usually ran down for the two of us after we placed our breakfast order in Britannia) - just show up for a showing a few minutes beforehand and introduce yourself to the entertainment staff member managing the door. Inevitably, many more people will grab tickets and be no-shows.

(4) The Behind the Scenes tour is excellent. It's a three hour tour of the operating parts of the ship (the room with the spools of lines and anchors was unexpectedly fascinating). No engine room but the engineering nerds geek out in the engine control room (guess what, the engines run on Windows XP), the galley (with snacks), the backstage area of the theatre, and the bridge with a chat with the captain. It's not cheap (last year it was $160, I think) but it's worthwhile once, and numbers are severely limited. It's not publicized, but you can sign up at the Concierge Lounge, if you're in the grills or line up at the Excursions office (I recommend lining up 45-60 minutes beforehand)

(5) If dining in Britannia, be aware that there are other options which your waiter can get upon request, but are not listed in the menu. Your waiter will have the latest info, but traditionally, steak, chicken breast, salmon, caesar salad and shrimp starter were available.

thanks ! you are most helpful