Scenic in May

mimk3

Anyone going on the Jewels of Europe-Budapest to Amsterdam in May? I am really keeping a positive outlook on this trip. I have read so many conflicting reviews. The more recent ones are looking better. When does Scenic let you know what ship you will be sailing???:)

Anyone going on the Jewels of Europe-Budapest to Amsterdam in May? I am really keeping a positive outlook on this trip. I have read so many conflicting reviews. The more recent ones are looking better. When does Scenic let you know what ship you will be sailing???:)

You can check the personalizer on the website we were told the ship name around Mar for a June sailing but it can always change

https://tp.scenictours.com/default.aspx

Edited by LHT28

all the ships DONOT have jr.suites(from brochure details).

Maybe majority of ships similar,but NOT ALL.

Also, the new one for France,DOES NOT have jr.suites,or tubs in ANY of the cabins.

If they switch ships on me,I WILL BE VERY UPSET,unless exactly similar.Or expect large refund for paying for cabin I DIDNT GET>:(

I should have said we booked the crystal and boarded the diamond with no advance warning. scenic considers their ships identical, despite age or updates.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Was this during the high water and lock problems when many companies had to change ships? Or was it later in the year?

all the ships DONOT have jr.suites(from brochure details).

Maybe majority of ships similar,but NOT ALL.

Also, the new one for France,DOES NOT have jr.suites,or tubs in ANY of the cabins.

If they switch ships on me,I WILL BE VERY UPSET,unless exactly similar.Or expect large refund for paying for cabin I DIDNT GET>:(

Alexandra, what ship are you expecting to travel on?

Alexandra Cruiser,

Hope your luck pans out, but don't hold your breath if something/anything goes wrong.

As for a LARGE refund?

Ha ha! (Unless you feel that a $500 refund is adequate recompense)

Edited by Marty156

Hi All

Our first trip with Scenic we cruised on Sapphire last year we were booked on Pearl in April but because it's overhaul was not completed in time about four months before we were transferred to Diamond and informed about it. Over the winter of 2012/13 all Scenic boats were completely refitted apart from I think Sapphire it may have been Emerald but that has been done now.

Baths or tubs are in the following boats and suits -

Crystal & Jewel - Royal Suite, Junior Suite and Deluxe Balcony Suite.

Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Ruby & Pearl - Royal Suite, Royal Panorama Suite & Junior Suite.

Gem - Royal one bed Suite & Royal Suite.

This year we are on Gems second Seine cruise in a Deluxe Balcony Suite when we booked this was not available so we booked a balcony suite with an option on a deluxe suite if one became available which it did about two months after we booked. For whatever reason if a change has been made we have received a full update from Scenic.:)

We are on the Scenic Jade on the Jewels of Europe river Cruise in September, we are then on the Scenic Gem in early October followed by the Scenic Emerald on the South of France River cruise in late October.

As we all know, we are at the mercy of the weather, the locks and the lock workers but hopefully everything will go as planned.

No point in being pessimistic or we would never go anywhere.

and yes Marty ,I have read your posts re this company.But am taking my chances with first cruise on it in June.Know things can go wrong(sorry about yours) and do feel they should have compensated you much better.Know you also have a lawsuit going.Sometimes they CHANGE,one can only hope.

Just liked the brochure and the good reviews I read,plus the itinerary seemed best for me.Also, has the full balcony(a plus).

Like to at least TRY new experiences and if not pleased,don t go again.

Have taken 10 river cruises on all the major lines,some I liked others not so much.And I ALWAYS get insurance,just in case.

This is marketed as LUXURY and we ll see.;)

And I ALWAYS get insurance,just in case.

This is marketed as LUXURY and we ll see.;)

Unfortunately, and certainly from Oz, having travel insurance (which we did have) was useless in this particular instance.

The travel insurance company wrote stating that IF Scenic/Evergreen HAD cancelled, we would have received a full refund!

Insurance did not cover a single cent as the "itinerary" was -sort of- followed by using a bus. Never mind if the itinerary was by a rowboat or by horseback!

or get cancel for any reason,which has to be booked at first deposit and is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Will keep that in mind,and now REALLY hope all goes well.

So far, out of 10 river cruises,no big probs YET, and hope luck holds.

Sad,but seems MANY of the cruise lines did NOT treat the passengers well during the floods.Wish CC had put a thread of all the companies and treatment so we could easily see.I had posted this,but it was never done.??:confused:

I believe that you can't buy 'CANCEL ANY REASON' travel insurance in Australia. I would be happy to be told otherwise though.

Correct! Such an ioption is not available to Australians/New Zealanders.

I believe its available outside of North America?

Be a nice option to have here though!

I believe that you can't buy 'CANCEL ANY REASON' travel insurance in Australia. I would be happy to be told otherwise though.

You are correct and as I was advised by my insurance agent friend once the cruise "officially starts" the Nth American "Cancel for any reason" policy would also be ineffective. We Australians can buy policies that let us cancel up to the date of departure but after that you're on your own.

OOps!:o

My bad. Too late to edit previous post.

Correction:

Correct! Such an option is NOT available to Australians/New Zealanders.

I believe its also NOT available outside of North America?

Be a nice option to have here though!

in US,BUt,VERY EXPENSIVE,,and MUST be booked at time of deposit.So for me to get it for the next cruise.I Must PAY for whole thing($2,000) at time I put down money(maybe a yr.ahead of time,in some cases).As compared to $500 for reg.policy.So I ve skipped it due to that.

BUt know they TRY not to pay for anything,if they can.So many clauses,its awful to be so frustrated.Tried to use it ONCE,for Egypt cruise.But NO,,,the terrorism section did NOT apply.Was after the Cole ship bombing and travel warnings for US..Said "the ins.company deteremined if TERROR,not state dept.:"tricky wording.:(

• 2 weeks later...
"tricky wording.:(

Just as the wording on the itinerary says "Cabin with Balcony" did NOT mean an actual balcony, just a window that opens half way down and known to some as a "French Balcony"

MUST read the fine print.... :eek:

Just as the wording on the itinerary says "Cabin with Balcony" did NOT mean an actual balcony, just a window that opens half way down and known to some as a "French Balcony"

MUST read the fine print.... :eek:

I was on a Scenic cruise and there was an actual balcony (two chairs and a small table) with a unique window that did come down level with the railing which allowed you to sit out there in inclement weather. A French Balcony does not allow you to step outside your cabin; this was not the case on my Scenic cruise. Marty we get it that you have a vendetta against Scenic but perhaps its time you moved on and got over it.

Edited by cruiseryyc