Luggage tags (attach before or after flight?)

pthjudy

I may be paranoid but, always after flight. Two tags per luggage and one printed in first pocket which also has all flight and cruise info. Also plastic holders with stainless steel cables. Why all this? Well when you see your wife in tears at the start of a 75 day cruise you will understand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for pointing out the policy differences. It clarifies what happened on our last Disney Cruise and makes me more comfortable in attaching the tags at home.

In an age of automated/scanned baggage handling (subject to human error as well), the last thing you want on luggage about to be loaded onto an airplane is multiple "destination" tags (real or mistaken/unintentional).

Our preferred cruise line sends us the same type of sturdy self-adhering embarkation tags as are used by airlines. We put them on just prior to leaving for the port from the pre-cruise hotel.

All that is on the exterior of our airline checked luggage is the airline's destination tag (plus the two small duplicate bar code stickers most airlines affix as backups) AND one nearly-indestructible ID tag with name, cellular telephone number (including country code) and email address (NO bar codes/scan icons).

Since we use Travelpro luggage, the same ID info is on a card in a holder built into the exterior wall of the bag itself. And, of course, there is a sheet of paper with the same contact info (never a home address) and key itinerary details (pre-cruise hotel name/dates/contact info and ship name/embarkation date/location/telephone [cruise line and/or port agent]) immediately visible should a misdirected bag be opened in an attempt to locate the owner.

Also worth mentioning/repeating is how important it is to fly-in to an embarkation port at least a day ahead (preferably two or more given the challenges/limitations of contemporary air travel) and scheduling international connecting flight buffers of 3+ hours (2 hrs on domestic). As essential as is trip delay/interruption insurance, a missed connection or misplaced bag can really "rain on your (cruise) parade."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only have AIRLINE tags on your bags for the flights....the airlines have enough trouble with their OWN tags....don't confuse them! Put your ship's tags on AFTER the flights...and remove the airline tags!

As a frequent flyer I'm in this camp.

I have good name tags on the bags (with my cell phone #) and a business card tucked into a front pocket. Once we retrieve bags from baggage claim we remove the airline tags. When we get to the port we let the porters attach the cruise line tags (we fold them to make it efficient for the porters) and tip reasonably generously for their "extra effort".

My thinking, less tags to confuse the baggage handlers; if the airline loses my bag they've got my contact info to try to get my bag to me before the cruise departs. Travel Insurance will also kick in if my baggage gets lost for the duration of the vacation.

That's my strategy and I'm sticking too it.

Definitely in the "don't do anything to confuse the airlines" camp. I either attach the tags just before the final mode of transportation to the port (taxi, shuttle, etc), or upon arrival at the port. However, I've never used the cruise line transfers which might require a different strategy...... Of course I would never fly in the day of departure so I guess I won't need that alternate strategy after all.

Attaching the tags before your flight and carrying along extra tags because you're afraid they will be damaged or lost? Huh?:confused:

Oh my goodness, after flying! All of the cruiselines we’ve sailed specifically say that. Putting them on before is asking for a baggage mishandling at the airports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess, perhaps because she had booked air and transfers through them, did specifically indicate the tags should be placed on the bags before boarding the flight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I always attach our luggage tags before boarding the ship and after arriving by air into the port. We always arrive at least the night before if not earlier so it is easy to do. That way the airline does not know where we are going and tries to send the luggage to the wrong ship. Also it protects our luggage tags from the airline baggage loading gorillas. To protect the ship luggage tags from the pier gorillas, I use the plastic holders with a wire attachment to the luggage. Even with this on our last cruise they managed to destroy one of them when unloading the ship.

Lately we have been cruising with one or two other couples. We always place on our luggage tags at the airport. One time when we were flying SW (we fly out of a smaller airport) and try to be the first flight out the day of the cruise. On one flight we were to have a 2 hour layover, but when we finally landed we had less than a hour. Before we landed in Florida we were going to make plans to see if we could get our luggage at the first port. However, to our surprise we found all our luggage coming out. When I checked in for our return flight I thanked the gal from SW for their service. She replied that our airport personnel notice we were on a cruise and made sure they were the last ones on so they would be the first ones off. So we now always put them on first and carry a couple extras for spares.

Lately we have been cruising with one or two other couples. We always place on our luggage tags at the airport. One time when we were flying SW (we fly out of a smaller airport) and try to be the first flight out the day of the cruise. On one flight we were to have a 2 hour layover, but when we finally landed we had less than a hour. Before we landed in Florida we were going to make plans to see if we could get our luggage at the first port. However, to our surprise we found all our luggage coming out. When I checked in for our return flight I thanked the gal from SW for their service. She replied that our airport personnel notice we were on a cruise and made sure they were the last ones on so they would be the first ones off. So we now always put them on first and carry a couple extras for spares.

That's amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Perhaps a touch too amazing: a staffer in Miami knew the actions of employees at a different airport days or weeks prior?

It could just be a company-wide policy so yes, the staffer in Miami could have made a valid comment...

With all due respect: fly much?

If not, just watch any of the many many utube videos of all airline baggage handlers.

Or look out the window and see one using a customers baggage as a step stool to reach the hold of a plane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't see any good reason to put cruise tags on a bag that is being checked with an airline. What's the rush? Place the tag in and inside pocket and after arriving at destination, rip off the airline tag and apply the cruise tag. Seems simple enough.

My friend and I were leaving from EWR to FLL to board the Crown. We always put the cruise tags on before flying. We both checked our bags with the SkyCap and off we went. When we arrived in FLL, my friends bag came down the carousel no problem. When my suitcase did not appear, I went to the United office. They scanned my luggage receipt and guess what? My bag was still sitting in EWR.

They were going to try and get it on a Delta flight that would arrive before our departure.

United told me it was a good thing I had the cruise tag on the bag, as it would help identify it and get it to the proper location.

In case my bag did not arrive in time, United got a limo to take me to the mall and gave me $500 to get some clothing and toiletries. I got my bag 3 days later in Grand Cayman. I don't think it would have found me, if not for the cruise tag.

Have you folks seen an airline tag? It looks nothing like a cruise tag. Put the cruise tag on a side handle if you think the airlines are that dumb. ;)

My friend and I were leaving from EWR to FLL to board the Crown. We always put the cruise tags on before flying. We both checked our bags with the SkyCap and off we went. When we arrived in FLL, my friends bag came down the carousel no problem. When my suitcase did not appear, I went to the United office. They scanned my luggage receipt and guess what? My bag was still sitting in EWR.

They were going to try and get it on a Delta flight that would arrive before our departure.

United told me it was a good thing I had the cruise tag on the bag, as it would help identify it and get it to the proper location.

In case my bag did not arrive in time, United got a limo to take me to the mall and gave me $500 to get some clothing and toiletries. I got my bag 3 days later in Grand Cayman. I don't think it would have found me, if not for the cruise tag.

Have you folks seen an airline tag? It looks nothing like a cruise tag. Put the cruise tag on a side handle if you think the airlines are that dumb. ;)

Sorry but that's just more appeasement BS from the airline.

If that bag (with cruise tags) had been put on the next flight and you were headed to a pre-cruise hotel, you could've been SOL. That's why you only put your cell phone and e-mail on your sturdy/protected luggage ID tag: direct communication and nothing lost in translation or second guessing.

Top tier FFs have a dedicated lost luggage number to call because direct contact (or as close as you can get to it - certainly not cruise ship tags) is essential.

Did you ever think that one of the reasons it was sitting at EWR was because of the multiple tags?

The only thing extra on luggage (beyond the airline destination tag, backup bar code stickers and your basic contact info ID) worth anything is a FF "priority" card sandwiched in the airline destination tag.

With all due respect: fly much?

If not, just watch any of the many many utube videos of all airline baggage handlers.

First of all I don't detect any respect. With three million miles on American Airlines alone I think the answer would be yes, I fly a wee bit.

Next, my comment had absolutely nothing to do with baggage handlers, it had to do with the potential that a comment made by a customer service representative made at one airport about their airline's service at another had the possibility of being valid.

If you want to be snarky, next time, pick a more appropriate target.

First of all I don't detect any respect. With three million miles on American Airlines alone I think the answer would be yes, I fly a wee bit.

Next, my comment had absolutely nothing to do with baggage handlers, it had to do with the potential that a comment made by a customer service representative made at one airport about their airline's service at another had the possibility of being valid.

If you want to be snarky, next time, pick a more appropriate target.

Sorry- only a mere million miler here. In any case, you know how unlikely was that being a "company policy."

What's amazing about having your luggage make it to your destination:confused:?

The comment by a SW staffer? Yes, a little too amazing.

SW uses smaller regional airports. I find their personnel a lot more personable and they pay more attention to details. Not like what you see on You Tube or television.

SW uses smaller regional airports. I find their personnel a lot more personable and they pay more attention to details. Not like what you see on You Tube or television.

Southwest also uses huge regional hubs (e.g. ATL).

The most reasonable explanation for your bags making the flight? That is the norm for a 1 hour (or shorter) layover, not any special handling because you were going on a cruise.

EWR (Newark) the poster’s home airport is hardly a small regional airport! It’s one of the three very busy airports in NYC (or NJ for EWR).

How about trying GRR.

I was referring to the poster who flew from EWR to FLL and their bag never made it on the plane, they got it to her and said it was because she had the cruise tag on it. Big airport and still good service from the airline.

Sorry I did not bother to read the previous pages so I do not know if this was addressed but I KNOW I have the best answer......

It was given to me by a TSA manager in Washington DC after months of trying to recoup our losses for things stolen by the TSA....we never were reimbursed..

He said do NOT put cruise tags before your flight there because it is an alert that your probably have nice clothes small electronics, etc. in your bag.

He said that after you get off the cruise ship, remove the tags they put on to give you your time off the ship. He said that is like advertising you probably have nice souvenirs in there....that is where they got us.... they took a lot of different things but just to show you how bold they are...

I collect miniature perfume bottles and bought some in the Caribbean. They actually took the bottles out of the boxes so that they would probably fit in their pockets easier.

I told them I had the boxes & they should check for finger prints but was told that they all wear gloves !