Britannia Aft Suites & Cabins

Selbourne

Sorry, I took it for granted that you were by the side of us. It may have been one of the reasons we booked that side. Is the other side available?

Sadly no. We got the last aft corner suite that was available for that cruise and only realised afterwards (from a photo) that the smoking area was below it, as the deck plans don't show that it extends that far (which is naughty if that sort of thing matters, which it does to us).

Sadly no. We got the last aft corner suite that was available for that cruise and only realised afterwards (from a photo) that the smoking area was below it, as the deck plans don't show that it extends that far (which is naughty if that sort of thing matters, which it does to us).

Not sure if this helps but when we booked our cabin on Britannia we went on the Princess forum and asked about the similar cabins on the Royal Princess (and now her other sister ships). We got some fab information from that forum about our Britannia cabin. It may be worth a try.... they were a nice bunch over on the Princess forum and more than happy to help :):D

Hi we stayed in F726 earlier this year and although a great cabin we had awful noise not only during the day from the live lounge but at night.

During the day especially afternoon the band rehearsed and boy did they need it and then at night they performed if that's what you could call it.

I resorted to earplugs that helped.

As for vibration yes there was some but not too much.

Soot I dealt with mainly in the mornings with a pack of wet wipes.

They are great cabins but have a few niggles.

Can't comment on cigarette smoke sorry.

That's the 2nd person I've heard of who complained about noise from the Live Lounge as high up as B deck which is odd when others on F and even G deck have said it wasn't a problem. All very confusing. I wonder if noise on B deck comes from above (sailaways etc) as its close to public areas rather than the Live Lounge, although I doubt that's the source of late night noise.

When we had B724 we didn't hear any noise from above. The only place close enough to produce any noise is the Sunset Bar, which plays music all day through small speakers. We didn't hear a thing so it would be impossible, I would say, to hear anything at F deck level.

Re. the smoking - you are close, in terms of level of deck, to the area near The Live Lounge, and I know that my husband would not want to be that close to it because of the smokers. I took a picture of the aft balconies from the starboard side Live Lounge deck area and would like to attach it here, but don't know how. I've tried loading it, but it keeps saying 'failed'.:( If you, or anyone else, knows how to load it, I'll do it.:rolleyes:

album.php?albumid=21&attachmentid=1729

Hi we stayed in F726 earlier this year and although a great cabin we had awful noise not only during the day from the live lounge but at night.

During the day especially afternoon the band rehearsed and boy did they need it and then at night they performed if that's what you could call it.

I resorted to earplugs that helped.

As for vibration yes there was some but not too much.

Soot I dealt with mainly in the mornings with a pack of wet wipes.

They are great cabins but have a few niggles.

Can't comment on cigarette smoke sorry.

That's really interesting. I'm getting such conflicting information it's very confusing. The occupants of F729 said they had just distant base noise but nothing obtrusive, yet you had a really bad problem just a few cabins along.

Just a thought, but could you trace whether the noise was coming through the floor or the walls? Reason I ask is that there is a blanked off section between F726 and F727 (and it continues down G deck to the Live Lounge). If that's a hollow shaft (ventilation perhaps?), it would allow sound to resonate through it in a way that wouldn't be experienced in cabins further away from it, even on the same deck. It's just a thought and might be clutching at straws, but I am getting some responses that are reassuring and others that are making me think I should change my booking. Thanks in anticipation.

Yes we did have a ventilation shaft next to us which I knew about when I booked. I did not appreciate however the noise that would be heard in the cabin.

Even on the balcony you could hear the noise during the rehearsals.

Might not have been so bad if the bands had been any good lol!!

Yes we did have a ventilation shaft next to us which I knew about when I booked. I did not appreciate however the noise that would be heard in the cabin.

Even on the balcony you could hear the noise during the rehearsals.

Might not have been so bad if the bands had been any good lol!!

Yes, the poor quality of the band appears to be the one consistent point of feedback! I appreciate that it might be difficult to put your finger on it, but do you think that the bulk of the noise disturbance was caused by sound travelling up through the ventilation shaft rather than through the floor? Finally, to give me some sense of perspective, was it so loud that you needed earplugs to sleep and how late into the early hours does it go on until? Thanks.

Noise irritated me more to be honest when they were rehearsing could tell the songs in the cabin and on balcony. At night when it became a problem early in the holiday I just put in my earplugs and went to sleep. So can't really tell you what time the music went on till.Sorry!

Yes, the poor quality of the band appears to be the one consistent point of feedback! I appreciate that it might be difficult to put your finger on it, but do you think that the bulk of the noise disturbance was caused by sound travelling up through the ventilation shaft rather than through the floor? Finally, to give me some sense of perspective, was it so loud that you needed earplugs to sleep and how late into the early hours does it go on until? Thanks.

From your posts I get the feeling that you are very edgy about the mini suite. Probably now what you want to hear, but perhaps you should move to a cabin that you know and love..... that's not a criticism, just as a fellow cruiser looking on. :)

PS The noise came from the floor. Re ear plugs, not at all. Re what time it went on until, no idea as we were asleep. :)

From your posts I get the feeling that you are very edgy about the mini suite. Probably now what you want to hear, but perhaps you should move to a cabin that you know and love..... that's not a criticism, just as a fellow cruiser looking on. :)

PS The noise came from the floor. Re ear plugs, not at all. Re what time it went on until, no idea as we were asleep. :)

Yes you are correct that I'm wavering about this. If it was entirely down to me, I think I would probably move to the front of the ship, with no noise from lounges, no vibration, no soot and no smokers! Problem is, wife and two daughters would like to be at the rear with the bigger balconies.

Also, it's a full suite not a mini-suite, plus an adjacent balcony cabin for daughters. So, all in, around £10k expenditure. And I'm paying for all of it. So you'll perhaps forgive me for being a little paranoid that my hard earned cash will be well spent.

Problem is, some posts (like yours) reassure me that it will be OK, whereas others (answering the same questions) make me feel it's going to be a problem. If the feedback was consistent, the decision would be easier!

Yes you are correct that I'm wavering about this. If it was entirely down to me, I think I would probably move to the front of the ship, with no noise from lounges, no vibration, no soot and no smokers! Problem is, wife and two daughters would like to be at the rear with the bigger balconies.

Also, it's a full suite not a mini-suite, plus an adjacent balcony cabin for daughters. So, all in, around £10k expenditure. And I'm paying for all of it. So you'll perhaps forgive me for being a little paranoid that my hard earned cash will be well spent.

Problem is, some posts (like yours) reassure me that it will be OK, whereas others (answering the same questions) make me feel it's going to be a problem. If the feedback was consistent, the decision would be easier!

I'm like you and we do our homework re cabins. Sometimes it is really tough though. E.g we have booked a 17 day cruise this coming August and I am edgy now about the number of sea days. Twitch twitch. I fully understand where you are coming from.

Have you tried the Princess forum as they were really helpful to me over there when I asked about the cabin we had as the Princess sister ships. Remember that they have the same cabins. Just a thought as it really helped us.

Re the wife and 2 daughters ..................... a woman's intuition, you can't beat it. But then I am biased !!!:D

First of all let me say I haven't been on Britannia so I can't give any examples as far as the Britannia aft cabins are concerned. However, we have been many times in aft cabins on Azura. We have had suites on C Deck and A deck, both port and starboard sides at the aft of the ship. Before we went I read a lot about soot, about noise, about smells of cooking. So our experience: when docking there is a loud noise when they use the thrusters, it lasts for a very short time and never bothered us. Soot, we never experienced any problem with that at all so it may be something that occurs on Britannia alone. Smells, the aft suites that we have had are next to the vent which is in the middle of the aft of the ship. Just occasionally we smelt something but never did it bother us, it was never strong enough to be a nuisance and it wasn't every day.

One thing you do hear at the back of the ship is the noise of the sea! For some people it's too loud - for us it's lovely. Standing or sitting on the balcony overlooking the wake, glass in hand is magic! Also being there as the sun goes down is quite wonderful.

In the end only you can decide what's best for you. We must have been in aft cabins/suites over 10 times now and it's what we would always pick. We are off again in January to the Canaries in an aft suites on Ventura. We have only had one experience in travelling in a front suite and that was on Adonia (now gone to Fathom cruises) on a trip along the South Coast to Ireland. The weather wasn't fantastic but even when it was sunny we found that to be out on the balcony at the front was not pleasant, it was far too windy as we were travelling along.

So for us aft every time if possible. I hope whatever you decide you have a wonderful time.

Hi again,

Having had many aft Suites and, as you are already aware, having had one on Britannia recently, I would say to go on her in an aft Suite.

Unless this is your last ever cruise, which I very much doubt:D, I think I would have an aft Suite just this once.

Do you really want the possibility of a very miffed wife and two very miffed daughters for the whole of the cruise!:rolleyes:

Hi again,

Having had many aft Suites and, as you are already aware, having had one on Britannia recently, I would say to go on her in an aft Suite.

Unless this is your last ever cruise, which I very much doubt:D, I think I would have an aft Suite just this once.

Do you really want the possibility of a very miffed wife and two very miffed daughters for the whole of the cruise!:rolleyes:

Wise words! Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I discussed all the feedback with my wife last night and she is keen that we keep the aft suite, in spite of the potential problems. The huge balcony seems to outweigh the potential problems (for her, anyway).

I shall simply hope that the noise of the wake will help drown out any noise from the Live Lounge (and if not, I shall resort to earplugs) and that if I am bothered by cigarette fumes on the side of our balcony, moving to the other end (rear facing) section will help screen me from it. If I am disturbed by late night noise from smokers on the open deck, I shall simply up-end the contents of the ice bucket over them :D

Wise words! Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I discussed all the feedback with my wife last night and she is keen that we keep the aft suite, in spite of the potential problems. The huge balcony seems to outweigh the potential problems (for her, anyway).

I shall simply hope that the noise of the wake will help drown out any noise from the Live Lounge (and if not, I shall resort to earplugs) and that if I am bothered by cigarette fumes on the side of our balcony, moving to the other end (rear facing) section will help screen me from it. If I am disturbed by late night noise from smokers on the open deck, I shall simply up-end the contents of the ice bucket over them :D

Not sure they are wise, but I know what I can be like & I wouldn't wish that on you!

I'm sure it will not be as bad as you are thinking it might, & you can go back to that front Suite next time.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Blimey Selbourne, just noticed both you and Cruisepuss have been on Britannia twice and you have booked again. I struggle to find a good word about Britannia and I'm on her on Sunday. Can't be all bad? Only reason I chose Britannia is for the dancing in the Cyrstal room, did you see any?

Thank you

If I am disturbed by late night noise from smokers on the open deck, I shall simply up-end the contents of the ice bucket over them :D

That made me laugh out loud. :):)

You sound like us - you just go and make the most of it. :) I hope that you have a fabulous cruise and as someone else has said, on this occasion, the ladies can't blame you if it goes wrong. :D:D

Blimey Selbourne, just noticed both you and Cruisepuss have been on Britannia twice and you have booked again. I struggle to find a good word about Britannia and I'm on her on Sunday. Can't be all bad? Only reason I chose Britannia is for the dancing in the Cyrstal room, did you see any?

Thank you[/quoteW]

We did and we loved her too. Enjoy and say hello for us :)

Thank you

Hi,

In answer to your question, yes we did, on both occasions. The Crystal Room is a beautiful room.

My husband absolutely loves Britannia - she is now his favourite ship (it was Adonia). Britannia has a very modern interior to the other P&O ships, but not in a glizty way. Her atrium is beautiful and large, like the rest of her! We never felt there were 3,500 people on board, but both cruises had good weather so passengers were able to get outside. We felt she had plenty of sun loungers in lots of different areas - you just have to walk around a bit. The Retreat is worth the extra money to get in to as it is gorgeous. The Spa is also worth a visit. We love Sindhu and it is just as good as always; the Epicurean is a stunning room and the food extremely good - if you've been to Seventeen (as was) on Azura it's the same. I would also recommend trying the Beach House (part of the buffet restaurant in the evenings). You also need to try one of the cakes from the Market Cafe - they are divine! The Limelight Club is also worth doing - the room is, like most of them, stunning!

It obviously depends on your tastes as to whether you will like her or not, but I would go with an open mind and try everything.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thank you

No ship is perfect, but we really like Britannia. Most negative comments relate to her size which is daft as you know it's big before booking!

There are some negatives such as the lack of a promenade deck, as we used to enjoy doing a lap at least once a day. The lack of stairs mid-ships puts pressure on those lifts. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to use them (wife is in a wheelchair) and able bodied people who could otherwise easily use stairs are forced to use them, causing long waits. The biggest (and rarely discussed issue) is that Britannia is regularly getting 'bumped' from ports in favour of smaller ships. At best this means you have the hassle of a tender when other ships are moored alongside. At worst, you lose the port altogether. On our last cruise, our calls at Flaam and Olden were lost to Cunard's Queen Elizabeth. When I contacted the port to find out why, they also told me that 6 visits by Britannia had been cancelled in a year. I would now be wary booking Britannia if the motivation was a specific port, as there's a good chance it could change. I should also say that food and service in the main resturants is mediocre (especially compared to the P&O of 10 years ago and more), but that is a problem in all P&O ships now as they are targeting mass market more as they have so many ships and cabins to sell now (I know that sounds snobby, but it's true)!

However, there are significant positives, notably the select dining restaurants (particularly The Epicurean which is 10/10 and Beach House where the food is fabulous), the fact that a Crows Nest has rightfully returned to pole position rather than a gym (how stupid is it to put a facility used by less than 5% of passengers in the prime spot), a great theatre (shame that the shows aren't as good as they used to be), the clean, modern, light and airy decor, the exemplary stability and the fact that it never feels overly crowded in spite of the numbers of passengers.

We also used the Limelight Club (Darren Day) on the last cruise. Thought I would hate it (wife wanted to do it) but the show was great and the meal was one of the best we had on board. The girls have done courses in the Cookery Club, which they enjoyed and the Eric Lanlard afternoon tea is pure indulgence. It really is a foodie heaven. Cabins are also very modern and nicely furnished, with huge TV's with great on demand films etc and you have a glass shower screen, so no battle with clingy curtains!!!

I'm sure you will love her. Have a great cruise.

Weve travelled three times now on the Britannia. The first two we had aft cabins c and e deck. We did experience the vibrations which are worse coming into port. In fact we didn't need to set the alarm as it was obvious with the vibrating effect. We had a GD level cabin which was compact but fine and the balcony was deeper than those on the sides of the ship ,plus the sun for long periods and the views were spectacular. The soot was a problem for us on C deck when they had to put their foot down leaving port late. This last time we had a forward suite which was lovely. However, the balcony was disappointing , narrow and windy. The large front window offered superb views of whales and dolphins especially docking in Madeira but on occasions we felt our privacy was invaded by the crew at the front who could see in. We had to close the blind when getting changed and the décor was very dark with the banks of wardrobes in the bedroom. Saying that we loved the experience of a suite, dining in the Epicurean in the mornings etc...

Weve travelled three times now on the Britannia. The first two we had aft cabins c and e deck. We did experience the vibrations which are worse coming into port. In fact we didn't need to set the alarm as it was obvious with the vibrating effect. We had a GD level cabin which was compact but fine and the balcony was deeper than those on the sides of the ship ,plus the sun for long periods and the views were spectacular. The soot was a problem for us on C deck when they had to put their foot down leaving port late. This last time we had a forward suite which was lovely. However, the balcony was disappointing , narrow and windy. The large front window offered superb views of whales and dolphins especially docking in Madeira but on occasions we felt our privacy was invaded by the crew at the front who could see in. We had to close the blind when getting changed and the décor was very dark with the banks of wardrobes in the bedroom. Saying that we loved the experience of a suite, dining in the Epicurean in the mornings etc...

You must have been on quite a low deck if you were overlooked by the crew deck. We could only see them by craning our neck and they were well below us. We slept with the blind open and never had a privacy issue. We've also never noticed a wind problem on the balcony. I think the front suites are one of Britannia's best kept secrets. Agree that breakfast in the Epicurean breakfast is very civilised and, in our view, the best benefit of having a suite (the Butler being the least valuable 'benefit').

Yes, we were on F deck so felt overlooked from the crew area at the front. We also experienced some awful knocking, clanging noises in the middle of the night plus the waves hitting the bow which led to a few sleepless nights. However, we didn't experience the juddering as we did on the aft. For us we didn't feel that we had value for money as regards the gratuities for the butler. He came in the morning to remove empty glasses, brought canapé's, the odd bottle of wine, booked us a speciality dining and a cheese board for supper. It was far too windy to eat out on the balcony. We felt that we could have sorted most of the things ourselves. Next time I think we would cancel him? However we loved the space in the suite and the views. The Jacuzzi bath was amazing and I spent many an hour in there with a glass of prosecco. Am checking the prices for next year already but they seem rather steep?

You must have been on quite a low deck if you were overlooked by the crew deck. We could only see them by craning our neck and they were well below us. We slept with the blind open and never had a privacy issue. We've also never noticed a wind problem on the balcony. I think the front suites are one of Britannia's best kept secrets. Agree that breakfast in the Epicurean breakfast is very civilised and, in our view, the best benefit of having a suite (the Butler being the least valuable 'benefit').

Hi again,

Interesting about being overlooked if you have a lower front Suite. A difficult decision between either being overlooked if you're too low,or having an over-shadowed balcony if you're too high. Decisions, decisions! :)

A shame you felt the Butler isn't worth it. We use one all the time. He unpacks, packs, brings a bit of breakfast (before we go up to the Epicurean of course!) lunch and dinner, brings drinks during the day, sorts out restaurants and excursions, and deals with any problems we may have. We would hate not to have him - you don't get one at home! :D