Pre-Cruise Accommodations

OffCall

My husband and I will be going on the 11 day Paul Gauguin cruise in January and we want to go a few days earlier to get over any jet lag. I would appreciate any comments about the Intercontinental in Moorea? We were looking at an over the water bungalow and most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are great to good. Our other concern is for food, we've heard that the area is very expensive! Any advice would be appreciated.

My husband and I will be going on the 11 day Paul Gauguin cruise in January and we want to go a few days earlier to get over any jet lag. I would appreciate any comments about the Intercontinental in Moorea? We were looking at an over the water bungalow and most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are great to good. Our other concern is for food, we've heard that the area is very expensive! Any advice would be appreciated.

There are a few places within walking distance. When you leave the IC go to your right ... take some water but it is within walking distance.

Shack Mahana & Les Tipaniers .... both are good and reasonable for this part of the world ;)

There is also a market across the street which has stuff for the fridge and during lunch they sell 'plates' like you would see in Hawaii. Usually something like kung pao with rice on the side ... about $10 -$12 USD

There are a few places within walking distance. When you leave the IC go to your right ... take some water but it is within walking distance.

Shack Mahana & Les Tipaniers .... both are good and reasonable for this part of the world ;)

There is also a market across the street which has stuff for the fridge and during lunch they sell 'plates' like you would see in Hawaii. Usually something like kung pao with rice on the side ... about $10 -$12 USD

Thank you

Everything in French Polynesia is expensive, yes. But as Kahuna said, there are places near the IC that are reasonable. Snack Mahana is one of them. There's also Le Petit VIllage which is fairly close, and there's a grocery there where you can pick up baguettes, beer and wine, etc. so you can save a bit and picnic in your bungalow. There may be a grocery store even closer, I don't know. And yes, Les Tipaniers is a nice place for lunch or dinner. Not cheap, but probably cheaper than the big resort hotels. We'll be checking in there for our second stay in, uh, ...just over three weeks!

We just returned from 10 nights at Moorea Hilton. We booked it through Costco and purchased their meal package of breakfast and dinner. We've stayed their before and also at the Intercontinental. Both are beautiful properties. But the Hilton is pretty special.

Here is the skinny ... I've stayed at all the major resorts on Moorea.

In order of desirability

Best for a couple: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for snorkeling: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for families: IC, Manava

Best bang for the buck: Manava, IC

Best off-resort restaurant options within walking distance: Manava, IC

Best completely OWB: tie between Hilton / Sofitel

Closest to good shopping: Manava, IC

Most remote, away from everything: Sofitel

Best view of Tahiti: Sofitel

Most expansive resort: IC, Sofitel

Best pool area: IC, Hilton

Best beach in front of resort: Sofitel, Hilton

My personal favorites in this order: Hilton, Sofitel, IC, Manava

Reasoning: I love to snorkel and I usually rent a car so off the beaten trek is no big deal for me.

• 1 month later...
Here is the skinny ... I've stayed at all the major resorts on Moorea.

In order of desirability

Best for a couple: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for snorkeling: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for families: IC, Manava

Best bang for the buck: Manava, IC

Best off-resort restaurant options within walking distance: Manava, IC

Best completely OWB: tie between Hilton / Sofitel

Closest to good shopping: Manava, IC

Most remote, away from everything: Sofitel

Best view of Tahiti: Sofitel

Most expansive resort: IC, Sofitel

Best pool area: IC, Hilton

Best beach in front of resort: Sofitel, Hilton

My personal favorites in this order: Hilton, Sofitel, IC, Manava

Reasoning: I love to snorkel and I usually rent a car so off the beaten trek is no big deal for me.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums