Some Seattle info/help for you

aeegee

We just returned from an absolutely awesome cruise to Alaska last week. We had fabulous weather and were truly blessed.

My Seattle information - We arrived in Seattle around 10:30 am on a Thursday. We took STILA (airport service regulated by the airport, dial #55 from airport phone in baggage claim) from the airport to our downtown hotel in Seattle. It was $55 flat rate +tip (rate for service to downtown area) for a very nice town car that met us outside of baggage claim, we waited no longer than 8 - 10 mins. We were 2 people with 3 bags (we packed for cold weather). They have SUV's for more people/bags. They will ask you how many people/bags and tell you the rate and type car.

We stayed at the Moore Hotel downtown, which is a very old hotel and maybe not for everyone, but we loved it and would stay again. There is no AC, but it wasn't very warm out, so it wasn't bad. The only thing I would change next time is to get a room that doesn't face the busy street because you have to leave your windows open (no AC) and it's noisy. Also, I wouldn't recommend it for a family with small kids as the windows are about knee high and there are no screens. The room was comfortable and clean and the people very nice. There is a lovely coffee shop and a bar in the hotel. The bar serves food, Mexican mostly. We were at the coffee shop (Moore coffee) too early for breakfast, so we just had coffee and a pastry. I heard though that their waffles are amazing. They also serve lunch. We enjoyed the hotel very much.

After all our worries we took our first Uber ride and it couldn't have been easier or nicer. Took it from the hotel to pier 91 (Celebrity). A Select car (we had a Chevy Suburban) was $18.95. The hotel was about 3 miles from the pier, but a smaller car, Prius, wouldn't have held our 3 suitcases.

While in Seattle we walked a couple of blocks from the hotel to a monorail that takes you directly to the Chilhuly museum (only stop), which is right under the Space Needle. It's $1 for seniors, $4 for everyone else,one way. The museum was wonderful. I think it was around $23 for seniors and $28 for everyone else. We didn't go up the Space Needle. Took the monorail back and walked a couple of extra blocks to Pike Market. What a fun adventure that was. Reminded me of the Farmers Market in Los Angeles. Lots of places to eat, interesting shops and the market is full of flowers, fresh fish and other interesting things. It was fun walking through the market and around the area, which is right on the water. After, we walked back to the hotel. It's a little hilly in this area, but you can find some streets that aren't so bad. At the hotel we went to the bar and met some very nice people. In the morning we had coffee in the coffee shop, then we called Uber and enjoyed that ride.

For anyone thinking of taking the Light Rail to the downtown area, Westlake Station, it was about 3 blocks from our hotel. There is construction in the area, some that you would have to walk through. We did see other folks with luggage. The area is not bad, mostly downtown businesses and shops, clean and with traffic. There are some hilly areas, but it depends on which way you're going. You are bound to run into some, so be prepared to lug your luggage. Not sure how the area is in the evening, as we were there around noon and 3. Also, it's quite a hike from baggage claim to the Light Rail station at the airport. If you are considering the LR I would check out a YouTube video someone made showing the walk. Watching the video helped make our decision easier. I think I did a search on YouTube looking for Light Rail service in Seattle or something like that.

While to some our transportation choices sound expensive they were well within the range of other options. Shuttle Express shuttle service and the other shuttle service to hotels did not service our hotel. Seattle is very congested with traffic restrictions, construction, etc. We wanted something with a flat rate in case we got caught in traffic, so for us STILA and Uber were great.

We got to the pier very early, around 9 and it was very congested. There were cars, limos, taxis, etc. all in lines waiting to get in. Our driver some how got waved through, maybe he knew the guy. There was a traffic person who only let a few cars at a time proceed. Our ship and another were still letting passengers off, so the terminal was very congested. I didn't think this terminal was as user friendly as say Ft. Lauderdale. It seemed small and cramped, but we had dropped our bags with a porter, so we didn't have them to lug around. Things ran smoothly, the check in opened around 10. I did notice that things weren't as congested around 11, but we are always early birds and knew what to expect.

When we returned from our cruise we took a ship transfer ($27pp back to the airport. It was quick and easy, except when we got to the airport. The drop off area was a real hike to the Southwest terminal. They did have check in for your bags at the drop off for Delta and Southwest passengers. We had no bags because we used the Luggage Valet service that picked our bags up right off the ship. There is no charge for this service in Seattle. You sign up for it on the ship and it's great if you are returning home the same day. Our bags were waiting for us at our home airport and we collected them at baggage claim. They were on our flight. The best service ever. We have used the service before, but there was always a charge. Thank you Seattle.

I've tried to answer some of the questions I was looking for before our cruise. Seattle is a lovely city with lots to explore. We enjoyed ourselves and hope you do too. Thanks to all who helped us with our research and decisions.

Edited by aeegee

WONDERFUL and helpful review. Thanks for taking time to write out, in great detail, your information. Will benefit many people. Glad you had an awesome cruise..

Thank you very much. This site has always helped us out so much. It can be very frustrating looking for information and not everyone is looking for the same info. I tried to answer questions that helped us.

9 am is very early to arrive at the pier. People still leaving from the previous cruise, which is why it was so congested. What time did you actually board?

What specific worries did you have about Uber?

Roz

9 am is very early to arrive at the pier. People still leaving from the previous cruise, which is why it was so congested. What time did you actually board?

What specific worries did you have about Uber?

Roz

Yes, we are aware that 9 is early to arrive, but like I said we always go early so we knew what to expect. We were on board before 11.

I think it was just the unknown about Uber. Will they show up? Will I be able to work the app correctly or goof and get charged wrong? The first time using an app can be a challenge. I'm pretty good with some techy stuff, but you just never know.

Thanks for the info. We cruise in less than two weeks. We are staying at the Westin downtown and cruise on NCL out of Pier 66. I looked at the video of the light rail and decided that it too hard with too many bags. Our hotel is one block away from Westlake. The Stilla taxi sounds like the best option for us also. Have never used Uber. Does anyone know what it will cost for taxi from the Westin Downtown to Pier 66?

Thanks for the info. We cruise in less than two weeks. We are staying at the Westin downtown and cruise on NCL out of Pier 66. I looked at the video of the light rail and decided that it too hard with too many bags. Our hotel is one block away from Westlake. The Stilla taxi sounds like the best option for us also. Have never used Uber. Does anyone know what it will cost for taxi from the Westin Downtown to Pier 66?

According to the taxi fare finder, it's 1.1 miles to pier 66 from the Westin on 5th Ave. The rate including a 15% tip is estimated at

Initial Fare$2.60Add. Metered Fare$6.36Tip (15%)$1.34Estimated Taxi Fare$10.30

Trip is 1.1 mi, 8 mins

Keep in mind that the rate is estimated and depends on traffic, etc. Also, there is an extra charge for more than 2 people. The STILA that we used wasn't a taxi, but a town car with a flat rate for downtown. If you haven't tried Uber you should. Go to the Uber site and put in your hotel and the pier and they'll give you the rates based on their different cars. You can also find out what car would be best for you depending on your luggage, etc. Hope this helps.

Thank you for writing this helpful thread. We are staying at the Moore Hotel in about 2 weeks. When you say very old did you have problems with the plumbing/tub draining? I also read somewhere that there is no place to put your items in the showers?

You have relived my anxiety with Uber. It sounds like the Uber is allowed into the terminal versus just at the gate?

I am traveling with parents who have limited mobi;its so I am so grateful for your post! :)

I agree. The difference between a 9am arrival and a 10am arrival is probably 5 minutes later to walk onto the ship, so 55 fewer minutes of hurry-up-and-wait. At least at Pier 91 (aka Smith Cove Cruise Terminal), where Princess, Celebrity, and HAL go, IMHO 9am is simply too early.

Having experienced Pier 91 six times (3 departures, 3 arrivals) for cruises and a few other times for events held there, I'm familiar with it, so it's hard for me to say if it's newbie-friendly, but I do think it's reasonably simple nonetheless: all traffic approaches via one roadway. At the terminal, buses go one way, while everyone else goes a different way; that different way splits into six assigned lanes that are no more/less chaotic than any airport arrivals area. Alongside those six assigned lanes are porters ready to handle your bags if you wish, and wheelchairs if you need them. It's a short walk into the terminal; if you didn't use the porters already, you'll go drop your bags on the first floor. Fill out your health questionnaire, go upstairs, through security, the wine table, passenger check-in, pause in the waiting area as needed, and board the ship. It's very zig-zaggy, just to use the space available and create queueing areas to buy some time and allow for capacity buffering. I can't comment about Pier 66 (NCL) whatsoever though.

I agree. The difference between a 9am arrival and a 10am arrival is probably 5 minutes later to walk onto the ship, so 55 fewer minutes of hurry-up-and-wait. At least at Pier 91 (aka Smith Cove Cruise Terminal), where Princess, Celebrity, and HAL go, IMHO 9am is simply too early.

Having experienced Pier 91 six times (3 departures, 3 arrivals) for cruises and a few other times for events held there, I'm familiar with it, so it's hard for me to say if it's newbie-friendly, but I do think it's reasonably simple nonetheless: all traffic approaches via one roadway. At the terminal, buses go one way, while everyone else goes a different way; that different way splits into six assigned lanes that are no more/less chaotic than any airport arrivals area. Alongside those six assigned lanes are porters ready to handle your bags if you wish, and wheelchairs if you need them. It's a short walk into the terminal; if you didn't use the porters already, you'll go drop your bags on the first floor. Fill out your health questionnaire, go upstairs, through security, the wine table, passenger check-in, pause in the waiting area as needed, and board the ship. It's very zig-zaggy, just to use the space available and create queueing areas to buy some time and allow for capacity buffering. I can't comment about Pier 66 (NCL) whatsoever though.

I wasn't recommending that anyone go to the terminal at 9am, but that's what we did. We had nothing else to do in the morning, so we left early. Whatever works for you. 9am is not too early if that's what you choose, just be prepared, like we were. We've cruised often, so we knew the problems that we might incur. I will also say that sometimes people do arrive early on a flight and have no place to go other than the terminal, so arrival at the terminal will be early. Just be prepared.

As far as the terminal it was congested. I don't believe it was just because we were early. The area where you pick up taxi's, buses, etc. is small, at least compared to other terminals, at least to us. I'm not complaining about the terminal, only making a comment about what we thought. Once we were in the check in area all went smoothly and quickly.

Thank you for writing this helpful thread. We are staying at the Moore Hotel in about 2 weeks. When you say very old did you have problems with the plumbing/tub draining? I also read somewhere that there is no place to put your items in the showers?

You have relived my anxiety with Uber. It sounds like the Uber is allowed into the terminal versus just at the gate?

I am traveling with parents who have limited mobi;its so I am so grateful for your post! :)

No problem with plumbing, etc., in our room. Old, meaning that it's an old building, but it's been redone. Old, meaning that some of the lighting fixtures were older, fans in the rooms because there wasn't any AC, etc. Our bathroom was beautiful, small, but the shower was tiny. There was a tiny little shelf to hold soap,etc. It served our purpose. The hotel has many room options also, so the rooms will all be different.

We liked the hotel and it's ambiance. Many old features that we thought added to the character. Main thing, the bed and room were comfy and clean and the location was perfect. I would call the hotel and ask them about your parents mobility concerns.

As far as Uber, it was great, but it did not pick us up at the airport, only from the hotel and took us to pier 91. You can use Uber at the airport, but they will pick you up in the parking garage. Check the SeaTac site online as there may be a type of Uber that will be able to pick up at baggage claim. We used STILA and it was great. For 2 people, with 3 pieces of luggage they sent a town car and picked us up outside of baggage claim. I would imagine they would send a larger car for you and your parents. STILA can be reached by dialing #55 on an airport phone. You can also look up SeaTac airport online and there is info there also.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks you we will be arriving early at the Pier for our 2018 Alaska cruise. We normally fly in the day before but due to work we will be unable this time our flight arrives at 0830 not to worried as I have used this flight several times in the past as our son lives Seattle area and it almost always arrives on time or a few minutes early

We just returned yesterday - we were able to change our 1:05pm departure to 6am, thankfully! Had a rough landing in Charlotte and noticed most flights cancelled due to the remnants of Irma.

Stayed at the Moore post cruise for a couple of nights - LOVED the hotel!! Spacious room, very clean and best of all, cheap!! Very funky/quirky place but historic and very well located. We had room 721 that faces 2nd Ave - it was extremely warm when we returned Sunday afternoon with the sun hitting the room but cooled down quickly when we opened the windows, turned on the fan and the sun moving behind the building. As with aeegee, no issues with plumbing, either. The only down side was that there was a concert going on Saturday nite at the theater - even 7 stories up we could hear the thumping but it ended around 10:30pm.

We used Lyft to get around town - slightly cheaper than Uber and we never had to wait more than 3 minutes for a car. Also used the code RID5 to get $5 discounts for our first three rides!

Agree with aeegee that I wouldn't necessarily get to the cruise terminal at 9am - we were just getting off the Eurodam at 9:10 and the place was a zoo but we did see people checking in. We arrived at Pier 91 by 10:20am via Seattle Express shuttle and received boarding group 5 - boarding began at 11:30am and we were on the ship and in our room by 12:15

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No problem with plumbing, etc., in our room. Old, meaning that it's an old building, but it's been redone. Old, meaning that some of the lighting fixtures were older, fans in the rooms because there wasn't any AC, etc. Our bathroom was beautiful, small, but the shower was tiny. There was a tiny little shelf to hold soap,etc. It served our purpose. The hotel has many room options also, so the rooms will all be different.

We liked the hotel and it's ambiance. Many old features that we thought added to the character. Main thing, the bed and room were comfy and clean and the location was perfect. I would call the hotel and ask them about your parents mobility concerns.

As far as Uber, it was great, but it did not pick us up at the airport, only from the hotel and took us to pier 91. You can use Uber at the airport, but they will pick you up in the parking garage. Check the SeaTac site online as there may be a type of Uber that will be able to pick up at baggage claim. We used STILA and it was great. For 2 people, with 3 pieces of luggage they sent a town car and picked us up outside of baggage claim. I would imagine they would send a larger car for you and your parents. STILA can be reached by dialing #55 on an airport phone. You can also look up SeaTac airport online and there is info there also.

Enjoy your cruise.

Aeegee,

Thank you so much of the added info and recommendations. You've been a great help!:D